Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Turkish Habar channel: President heading to Ankara.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Be safe and go somewhere else seeing as though you're going in 5 days. Italy is lovely!!
    But I think my parents will still insist on going to Turkey. I'm just hoping officials ban tourists from going to Turkey or something so we don't have to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the Summer it raineth everye daye, but the May cometh into flower in Julye
    What did you even say

ReputationRep:
    All talk from Erdogan. He had to Skype a local TV station; he's huddled up in a hotel room with curtains closed. No access to an actual broadcaster.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Erdogan making a live statement via Facetime atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the Summer it raineth everye daye, but the May cometh into flower in Julye
    Can we all go to your safe cave until the insane events of 2016 have blown over?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    God, I really hope this doesn't escalate...
    WW3 is going to come nostradamus said it would

ReputationRep:
    Live phone call from Erdogan: I call upon the people of my country to come out to the streets, to airports and stand against these rebels. These rebels will not win and will pay a heavy price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Isn't a similar narrative pushed by any coup? You don't get all those soldiers to march through their own streets if you tell them you're going to be the next big dictator.
    True...

Have to see what happens. Erdogan is an authoritarian **** head.

Maybe it will be like when the Tsars in Russia were overthrown and they got Tsar 2.0 in steroids with Stalin etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Live phone call from Erdogan: I call upon the people of my country to come out to the streets, to airports and stand against these rebels. These rebels will not win and will pay a heavy price.
    This was done from skype, I hope they don't win.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so shocked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodle0)
    Can we all go to your safe cave until the insane events of 2016 have blown over?
    Of course.... Gavin™ is on standby. Usherette™ was going to spend some time in Turkey but that does not look likely now.*

ReputationRep:
    Anadol news agency: The Turkish intelligence agency under siege and reports of gunfire.

ReputationRep:
    I very much dislike Erdogan, but how many coups result in more democracy? Not many, notwithstanding the democratic and secular ideals that these plotters claim to uphold.

ReputationRep:
    Street fights/gunfire between police and army rebels Istanbul.
    (Live on Arabic aljazera, their reporter is right there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grumpyteen)
    But I think my parents will still insist on going to Turkey. I'm just hoping officials ban tourists from going to Turkey or something so we don't have to go
    Kind of thinking the same as well.. I know nothing might even happen but it will be very unstable and you never know what could occur.

ReputationRep:
    With Erdogan telling people to take to the streets and doing his speech via the Internet, it looks like he knows the clock is ticking.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Reports coming in that Erdogan was refused landing at Istanbul and is now trying to get asylum in Germany.

Possibly false though. Can't imagine why the Turkish armed forces would pass up an opportunity to arrest him upon landing.

ReputationRep:
    Shits kicking off big time!

ReputationRep:
    Huge explosion in Ankara, plume of smoke
    Spoiler:
    Show
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnb2DjpWYAo1PWM.jpg:large

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.