Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1006 – Hunting Act Repeal Bill 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    45.83%
    On the contrary, No
    43.75%
    Abstain
    10.42%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    okay, I will accept this and assume that such a death is painless if done correctly. I am yet to be convinced that the dog is a skilled decapitator.
    They're not, why would they even bother trying to decapitate given that the same effect can be brought about with far less effort

Maybe I'm being blind but I couldn't see that in the first article. It was somewhat interesting but I never saw anything about the killing of small only large animals.
    second sentence of the penultimate paragraph of the second section "For smaller animals, the neck of the prey animal is the primary focus." Pretty effective when it comes to causing cervical dislocation or otherwise severe trauma to the brain.

And a quick death isn't instant so there could still be fear and pain for a brief moment. Although I do accept that no kill method will be 100% perfect.
    Severe trauma has a tendency to render unconscious immediately where not immediately lethal, and once again I draw comparison to the others where there isn't even those assurances anywhere near as reliably.

I thank you for this and will consider it. My main objections are still teaching people to be cruel or to make people belive that we are superior so I don't think I could vote for this but I might abstain. My other concern is that this would allow hunting of dear with hounds too. And that would be far worse than the current dear cull in terms of cruelty.
    The people who are "being taught to be cruel and believe they are superior" are likely to hold those views regardless, for the deer side, an amendment to the Deer Act 1991 would do the trick simply enough.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    One Abstention has been changed to an Aye.
    Change to Abstain please.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The double vote I can immediately spot is in seat 48 (Kyx for LTG). Given LTG is the permanent MP his vote stands. The net result is –1 No.
    As you can expect, I am keeping a close eye on this, and unless your intention wasn't to remove it until tomorrow the removal wasn't successful. (I know you don't know how to add and remove names from the options, bit Imperion and Joe are yet to vote as far as I can see, certainly neither against as would be required for the current tally)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Change to Abstain please.
    One No has been changed to an Abstention.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    As you can expect, I am keeping a close eye on this, and unless your intention wasn't to remove it until tomorrow the removal wasn't successful. (I know you don't know how to add and remove names from the options, bit Imperion and Joe are yet to vote as far as I can see, certainly neither against as would be required for the current tally)
    I'm not going to remove it until tomorrow to avoid confusing myself.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    One No has been changed to an Abstention.

I'm not going to remove it until tomorrow to avoid confusing myself.
    It seems you already have because you removed one no and one abstention instead of one no and adding an abstention
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez Just another confirmation, Faland's vote is also ineligible as S is the current proxy on that seat, or have i missed him being appointed to a seat yet to vote?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Saracen's Fez Just another confirmation, Faland's vote is also ineligible as S is the current proxy on that seat, or have i missed him being appointed to a seat yet to vote?
    I've not checked behind yet but if they have both voted then one of the votes will need removing, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, please change my vote from abstain to aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    One Abstention has been changed to a No for seat 18 (EricAteYou).

Double votes have been removed for seat 45 (Saoirse:3 for nabillio – formerly Faland) and seat 48 (Kyx for Little Toy Gun).

The totals have been adjusted to include only eligible voters.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It is strange to see liberals supporting the government forcing a view of morality on citizen's which the government decides is right by banning hunting.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 21
    Noes to the left: 21
    Abstentions: 6

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 96%
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Mr Speaker, please change my vote from abstain to aye.
    I've just seen this. Please make sure you tag me in future change requests.

One Abstention has been changed to an Aye.

This means the final result is actually:

Ayes to the right: 22
    Noes to the left: 21
    Abstentions: 5

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 96%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.