Turn on thread page Beta

thanks diamond! I shall take your word for it!

ReputationRep:
    Good thread.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone wanting to learn a foreign language, please check this out:

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTIM_10.htm

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, Im doing French and German with the OU, my courses don't start till February but I'm making a start on them now (get me!!!), however I've got a problem with possibly mixing them up!

For example just now, I was making notes from a French grammar book, and now I intend to immediately make notes from a similar book, but about German grammar. Is that a good idea?

This seems like a wierd question as I did French and German together side by side at school for 6 years and rarely mixed them up, and often had a French lesson straight after a German one or vice versa.

Anyone got any tips on not mashing them up?

Should I do French on a Monday and Tuesday, and German on a Wednesday and Thursday? How does everyone else get along with this?

Cheers in advance
    Keesy

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I did French and German at GCSE, but I only do German now. I always managed to mix the two languages up somehow.. but to avoid that, don't study the two languages straight after one another, leave a break of a couple of hours or so and all should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keesy soze)
    Anyone?
    It depends entirely upon you. I'm the kind of person who finds it difficult to mix up languages when I use them; I can happily go from learning French to Spanish, then to German. That said, I've met people who mix just one language with their mother tongue without realising it. I suppose the approach you use to learning your languages depends upon what kind of person you are...

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keesy soze)
    Anyone?

I think this will solve itself as you progress. It's easier to mix up languages that are similar to each other, so you're not supposed to learn French and Spanish simultaneously. German and French are extremely different however so most people do not have this sort of trouble. As I said just give it more time and your problem should resolve itself.

As for similar languages, being so similar can actually be a huge asset for you, but it's better if one learns say French to certain level and then starts Italian or Spanish from scratch. Then your French is the basis for your Italian, ie you are not learning that 'comprendere' means 'to understand', but that rather that it means 'comprendre'. This way both foreign languages are being constantly refreshed and improved!

ReputationRep:
    Bizarrely, I find it quite easy to mix Spanish and Russian up at the moment. I keep wondering what case Spanish words will be in. I think that's probably because my brain's just reached language saturation point though - too much immersion!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a great mass of information, will definately be referring to this when I start University in September. Thaks, amazing help!!

ReputationRep:
    I mix up French and Spanish all the time, as they're so very similar, but the problem is I'm significantly more fluent in French. I need to get my Spanish up to scratch, even though I'll probably be dropping it next year.

I think I'll take this advice on board, as it seems very useful, especially for degree learning I hope to go on and study French, possibly with Dutch...so hopefully it'll be a little less easy to mix up :P

ReputationRep:
    I've started a thread about cram/summer/intensive revision schools which deals in part with the overall question which this thread deals with: How do I improve my language skills?

These types of schools/courses are one type of thing that I think will really help. Here it is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=828008

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    --
    Hi, I'm just wondering if you could include a link to the Classics Society (which, by the way, is also in my signature) in the language societies list on your first post? It is much more active than the Latin Society and the Greek Society tends to cater only for those speaking/learning the modern language. Thanks!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Hi, I'm just wondering if you could include a link to the Classics Society (which, by the way, is also in my signature) in the language societies list on your first post? It is much more active than the Latin Society and the Greek Society tends to cater only for those speaking/learning the modern language. Thanks!
    Course.

ReputationRep:
    This is a FANTASTIC post! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languagesfreak)
    I did French and German at GCSE, but I only do German now. I always managed to mix the two languages up somehow.. but to avoid that, don't study the two languages straight after one another, leave a break of a couple of hours or so and all should be fine
    I did English, French and German simultaneously in the past (I'm Greek)... I also managed to mix it alllll in a Suppe :p: But for some reason I would mix French and German much much more than English, and I would find it weird, as they are very different languages...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wholenewworld)
    Anyone wanting to learn a foreign language, please check this out:

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTIM_10.htm
    Also, this site has lots of excellent language courses used by American diplomats in the '70s, but which are now freely in the public domain: http://www.fsi-language-courses.com/

I've got a question.

Say someone wanted to learn Spanish - is listening to Spanish radio/music going to help *at all*?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I've got a question.

Say someone wanted to learn Spanish - is listening to Spanish radio/music going to help *at all*?

Thanks.
    Of course. It's not going to hurt, is it? You'd need to know the basics first to be able to pick at least a few things up though.

(Original post by jismith1989)
    Of course. It's not going to hurt, is it? You'd need to know the basics first to be able to pick at least a few things up though.
    So, it would be worth it listening to 1-2 hours of foriegn language radio right?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2012

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.