The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Went in very stressed and expecting BBC, thought I was going to have a panic attack when I was opening the envelope.....AAB with one of the As in my weakest subject.....how the **** did that happen:eek:
    Can't rep but well done mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    It is shocking when you think that between 20 and 25% of students can't even get 5 C's at GCSE.
    That is really terrible, then they talk about making exams 'tougher', how will those 25% cope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because most of the time when people say capital punishment is wrong it will come with the line "there is never certainty that they committed the crime" even when they admit to it; similarly there can never be certainty that somebody who asks to be killed actually wants to, coercion is a rather easy thing if you're good at it and the person being coerced is in a vulnerable position. A lack of truly thorough safeguards are a problem when you want to hang somebody who MADE THE CONSCIOUS DECISION to become a terrorist, or murderer, or commit high treason or whatever, but as soon as we turn to people wanting somebody else to bump them off they have no issue with a lack of truly thorough safeguards; any thorough safeguards would also set an incredibly dangerous precedent because then you REALLY start looking and thought crimes being a thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm still waiting for you to explain the inconsistency in opposing the death penalty because it takes away autonomous choice and supporting the legalisation of assisted suicide because it grants autonomous choice.

Please do tell me. I've asked you twice now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Surely they'd just be forced to make an A** and a A*** grade? For the sake of differentiating.
    That is true, however, but that way it would be knows the grades achieved would be higher all round, or the exams could include more challenging content to differentiate candidates. The point is this, the grade boundaries for a C grade have been 50% in some A level exams, for a pupil not to achieve a C is shocking when a C grade is not difficult to meet. It is a fault of the grade boundaries being low, and pupils not being capable enough to handle simple exam questions.

ReputationRep:
    Went in very stressed and expecting BBC, thought I was going to have a panic attack when I was opening the envelope.....AAB with one of the As in my weakest subject.....how the **** did that happen:eek:
    Just saw your results - congratulations!

On the subject of results day, spare a thought for this poor guy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)

It's bad enough doing worse than expected but finding out with cameras on you must be terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Those sick bastards!

The colleges receive results the day before (earlier?). Could they not have nominated three people who'd hit their grades to go on TV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Those sick bastards!

The colleges receive results the day before (earlier?). Could they not have nominated three people who'd hit their grades to go on TV?
    Yep, at least a day before I believe and you're right, they could have picked other people. The lack of applause and the continual questioning didn't help either. Apparently, Kate Garraway said when they cut back to the studio 'who needs Manchester anyway?'

(Original post by joecphillips)
    It's bad enough doing worse than expected but finding out with cameras on you must be terrible.
    What makes it worse is that he had no time to process his results, just to stand there live on national TV as someone kept questioning him.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, at least a day before I believe and you're right, they could have picked other people. The lack of applause and the continual questioning didn't help either. Apparently, Kate Garraway said when they cut back to the studio 'who needs Manchester anyway?'

What makes it worse is that he had no time to process his results, just to stand there live on national TV as someone kept questioning him.
    When I got my results a few years ago I did slightly worse than I expected it took me a few minutes before I could tell anyone, if there was a camera there I would of ran first.

ReputationRep:

Was probably decided to try and make others feel better unfortunately *

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4236820&page=3

It appears TSR wants a higher age of consent. The mean age of consent that TSRians want is approximately 16.87, according to this, which is approximately 16 years and 318 days (when rounded up to the nearest day), or if you want it to be an exact age, then it is rounded up to 17. The House should respect the will of the people of TSR in saying that they want a higher age of consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4236820&page=3

It appears TSR wants a higher age of consent. The mean age of consent that TSRians want is approximately 16.87, according to this, which is approximately 16 years and 318 days (when rounded up to the nearest day), or if you want it to be an exact age, then it is rounded up to 17. The House should respect the will of the people of TSR in saying that they want a higher age of consent.
    So you want votes, alcohol ect. For 16 year olds?

ReputationRep:
    This pretending to be Fez thing seems to be catching on, now toronto353 is doing it too

ReputationRep:
    This pretending to be Fez thing seems to be catching on, now toronto353 is doing it too
    Toronto is fez confirm :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Toronto is fez confirm :ninja:
    Maybe heavyDAZ and Mongrels were Toronto's dupes

ReputationRep:
    Maybe heavyDAZ and Mongrels were Toronto's dupes
    Maybe we ought to send a lynch mob after him for trolling us!!! :mad2: :mob:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Maybe we ought to send a lynch mob after him for trolling us!!! :mad2: :mob:
    #toronto4gulag

ReputationRep:
    Drat - all my plans lie in ruins! I could have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids.

ReputationRep:
    Drat - all my plans lie in ruins! I could have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids.

ReputationRep:
    *meddling kids!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.