Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Thanks for the reply, a couple further questions;

How did you have time for the 7-8 insights? Was this all in the summer i.e. after you finished year 12? Were they all at different times? And also by insights do you mean just one day insights or also programmes such as JPM 1 week programmes?
    I'm sorry but what do you mean by 3 "fo sws" and also 3 "bbs" and "fo bb".
    Thank you vm for the reply it is of great help.
    insights are 1-2 day events, during the term holidays and summer yes at different times ofc.

3 Spring weeks in front office and bulge bracket institutions

(Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Forgive my noob-ness: what do you mean by getting staffed?

was there a regular working day as in start and end time?

How did you prepare for your SI (once you knew you had it) was it brushing up on ppt/excel etc? Also; did you have a strategy about how to play the internship before starting and if so, could you outline it briefly?

Finally, what dept is your FT position in / what product group? Was said offer in the area where you got on with fellow staff the best or just where you were interested in the product / department the most or were you given that?

But yh; big up yourself G; you made it you must be well gassed (Y) Is the offer conditional on a 2:1 or?
    staffed means getting given work

no regular working day, start at 9 and end whenever I'm done

just mainly knowing technicals and gaining proficiency with excel and PowerPoint again. strategy: work hard and check work 5x before handing it in

corp fin & m&a industry coverage (all grads go into the cohort pool anyway and we work across industries/products)

I assume it's conditional but didn't see that on the contract, that being said I haven't read it properly

thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)

staffed means getting given work

no regular working day, start at 9 and end whenever I'm done

just mainly knowing technicals and gaining proficiency with excel and PowerPoint again. strategy: work hard and check work 5x before handing it in

corp fin & m&a industry coverage (all grads go into the cohort pool anyway and we work across industries/products)

I assume it's conditional but didn't see that on the contract, that being said I haven't read it properly

thank you
    Awesome, cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    thank you,

did around 7-8 insights at major banks during y13

pre-uni summer worked at a 3rd tier ib in BO
    3 fo sws at 3 bbs and 1 2nd tier
    1st year summer internship in fo bb (trading & m&a rotations)

and got my penultimate year from converting my spring week
    Thanks for another reply
    Could I ask how you found the insight days during anything other than summer holidays? Currently I can only find insight days during the summer. Did The Brokerage Citylink help you in acquiring these insight days? Were these insight days open to those not in The Brokerage Citylink programme?
    A further question - the pre-uni summer work exp at the 3rd tier ib in BO you have completed was found how exactly? With help from The Brokerage or did you find that 3rd tier IB yourself? If so, did you know about this IB or did you find that it had work experience at its BO in the summer?
    Thank you v much for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Thanks for another reply
    Could I ask how you found the insight days during anything other than summer holidays? Currently I can only find insight days during the summer. Did The Brokerage Citylink help you in acquiring these insight days? Were these insight days open to those not in The Brokerage Citylink programme?
    A further question - the pre-uni summer work exp at the 3rd tier ib in BO you have completed was found how exactly? With help from The Brokerage or did you find that 3rd tier IB yourself? If so, did you know about this IB or did you find that it had work experience at its BO in the summer?
    Thank you v much for the help
    student ladder is a very useful resource which is where I found most insight programmes

the brokerage was the link for a first round interview at the first bank I interned at before I began uni

ReputationRep:
    Do you live near your workplace? How long does it take you to travel to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Do you live near your workplace? How long does it take you to travel to work?
    30 minute travel time

best advised to live as close as possible

ReputationRep:
    30 minute travel time

Would you go above the 30 mins as an Analyst? Assuming an hour is going to be too long until maybe you're an Associate or VP?

Also, are you moving out of the hood when you start full-time? If so, how much you planning to spend on rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Would you go above the 30 mins as an Analyst? Assuming an hour is going to be too long until maybe you're an Associate or VP?

Also, are you moving out of the hood when you start full-time? If so, how much you planning to spend on rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wouldn't go above that

haven't thought about it yet

ReputationRep:
    student ladder is a very useful resource which is where I found most insight programmes

the brokerage was the link for a first round interview at the first bank I interned at before I began uni
    Thanks for the reply. Btw do you know which banks do spring insight days apart from the BBs for students i.e. y12/13. Did you do any insights at Boutique IBs?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Thanks for the reply. Btw do you know which banks do spring insight days apart from the BBs for students i.e. y12/13. Did you do any insights at Boutique IBs?
    there are 0 that have insight days.

only ones iirc are MS, CS, JPM, Nomura, BAML, HSBC and new for this yr BNPP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    30 minute travel time

Is 30 minutes a short commute in london?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    no, i have never stepped foot in a boutique in my life

(Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Is 30 minutes a short commute in london?
    you want between a 0-15 min commute tbh, sleep is your biggest commodity

ReputationRep:
    thank you,

did around 7-8 insights at major banks during y13

pre-uni summer worked at a 3rd tier ib in BO
    3 fo sws at 3 bbs and 1 2nd tier
    1st year summer internship in fo bb (trading & m&a rotations)

and got my penultimate year from converting my spring week
    Just to take you back to this sorry but the 2Fo sws at the 3bbs and one 2nd tier was in the pre-uni summer correct? As well as working in the 3rd tier ib in the bo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    there are 0 that have insight days.

only ones iirc are MS, CS, JPM, Nomura, BAML, HSBC and new for this yr BNPP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply princepie
    Are you sure all of them do spring insights? From what I know, I thought that only nomura does spring insights, with the rest doing exclusively summers.

ReputationRep:
    no, i have never stepped foot in a boutique in my life
    With that being said, what do you mean or what is your classification of a 3rd tier ib? As I imagine 2nd tier are the likes of HSBC RBS etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Just to take you back to this sorry but the 2Fo sws at the 3bbs and one 2nd tier was in the pre-uni summer correct? As well as working in the 3rd tier ib in the bo?
    progression like this

pre uni: insight days + one 3rd tier ib summer interhsip (bo)
    1st year uni: 3 sws (all 3 were fo's) + one bb fo summer internship
    2nd year: bb fo summer internship

(Original post by Vl7d)
    With that being said, what do you mean or what is your classification of a 3rd tier ib? As I imagine 2nd tier are the likes of HSBC RBS etc.
    think credit agricole, jefferies, socgen, mitstubushi ufj types
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Thanks for the reply princepie
    Are you sure all of them do spring insights? From what I know, I thought that only nomura does spring insights, with the rest doing exclusively summers.
    Oh, why should it matter if it's spring or summer? I would apply to all and try to attend as many as you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, why should it matter if it's spring or summer? I would apply to all and try to attend as many as you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Trust me haha it doesn't - I am applying for as many as I can I am not picky I am trying to do both springs and summers. I just want to know which I should apply for at which time periods i.e. I know that spring and summer apps open at different times. Also, I do not want to miss any insights that are in spring that I am not aware of, hence me asking which are available in spring. I just thought there'd probably be a few I am not aware of in spring that I would want to do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Trust me haha it doesn't - I am applying for as many as I can I am not picky I am trying to do both springs and summers. I just want to know which I should apply for at which time periods i.e. I know that spring and summer apps open at different times. Also, I do not want to miss any insights that are in spring that I am not aware of, hence me asking which are available in spring. I just thought there'd probably be a few I am not aware of in spring that I would want to do.
    Ah, my advice is to chill out. Check firms websites periodically maybe do some googling, but don't be stressed so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, my advice is to chill out. Check firms websites periodically maybe do some googling, but don't be stressed so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh I currently already do that but I know most will open next month for summer insights and programs. That is why I was thinking if I should apply to anywhere other than BBs hence talk of boutique ibs earlier.
    Thanks for the advice it is appreciated

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.