Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shocking video filmed secretly in a Muslim Faith School in UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    It wasn't long ago when Catholic terrorists from Ireland were the biggest threat in the UK -
    Of course I know abut IRA, but I understand, their aim was to get the Northern Ireland, not to convert or punish infidels, am I wrong?

(Original post by Lit teacher)
    I think what I'm trying to say is that there are evil people in all countries, and some will use religion as an excuse
    This confirms, that there is an element of justification inside religion, for agressive behaviour, if not precisely in doctrine, then in a living doctrine which is an interpretation. It either tells to be agressive, or contains something else, that is may lead to it, a cognitive bias for example, in my opinion both. I'm not saying it's worse than lack of education or bad rising, but it consumes time, misleads, and is a good excuse not think.

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing with this is that now people are crapping on faith schools as a whole. I went to a Catholic school, and despite my agnosticism, I can honestly say that faith was never forced on me, and my education was really good. Faith schools should continue to exist, but should be closely monitored all the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPH125)
    The annoying thing with this is that now people are crapping on faith schools as a whole.
    because rather than deal with the problem we have to be seen as treating all faiths the same (when it's clear they are not all the same).

It's sad really but what else can we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    Of course I know abut IRA, but I understand, their aim was to get the Northern Ireland, not to convert or punish infidels, am I wrong?
    You are mostly correct, but there was a religious aspect. There were Protestant and Catholic terrorist groups which matched with wanting independence or to remain part of the UK. Sometimes these groups would target random people according to their faith. Religious leaders became involved on both sides; not in the actual murders but stirring up hatred. It was quite common for the Pope to be described as the anti-christ, and in many places schools were segregated according to religion.
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    This confirms, that there is an element of justification inside religion, for agressive behaviour, if not precisely in doctrine, then in a living doctrine which is an interpretation. It either tells to be agressive, or contains something else, that is may lead to it, a cognitive bias for example, in my opinion both. I'm not saying it's worse than lack of education or bad rising, but it consumes time, misleads, and is a good excuse not think.
    Yes, religion does have a lot to answer for. Both sides in World War one were told by their priests that they were fighting for God, and he was on their side. It always puzzled me, given the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill'. But religion has also brought peace to people, and many peace campaigners have strong religious beliefs. I guess religion can be like alcohol. It makes some people love everyone they are with, and makes others want to fight.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.