Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Anyone see Picking Up The Pieces on Channel 4 today about Robert Brown? This can illustrate the penalties for sending people to prison for long terms for crimes they never committed.
    But surely that is better than killing them for crimes they didn't commit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    True but sometimes how they come out they might as well have been killed, many have admitted that. Not sure if I mentioned about Stefan Kiszko (sp?) earlier on this thread but this illustrates the point further.

Instead of just looking at the substantive view on this argument I feel we should not exclude the procedural element to it. They both play a part -forced self-confessions and so on.

ReputationRep:
    i hate death penalty,it was ultimately brutal and crue,it killed peple just in the name of justice...****in logics.

no legal system was perfect,whats will be if the people turned out to be innnocent after he or she was executed.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    always the possibility of innocence unless of course he is found standing above the body with a bloody knife in his hand screaming i'm glad i killed him
    lol, it'd make things a LOT easier if that happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    mulatto - of white and black skinned parents.

think, light-brown women in hiphop videos.
    Pretty much.. mixed blood. exactly.. their skin colors are generally lighter than the average black person. My cousin for instance.. is mulatto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Personally.. I'd rather be dead than clinically insane. Which is what could happen if a person were to go to jail for long periods of time if they didn't commit the crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    lol, it'd make things a LOT easier if that happened.
    That, by the facts alone, isn't actually 100% conclusive that he killed the victim.

ReputationRep:
    That, by the facts alone, isn't actually 100% conclusive that he killed the victim.
    lol, screaming "I'M GLAD I KILLED HIM" Isn't conclusive?

ReputationRep:
    lol, screaming "I'M GLAD I KILLED HIM" Isn't conclusive?
    No. I have seen on a TV show (yes I know it's not real but can happen in real life) where this boy said he killed this girl and had blood on him etc and it looks like he really did it. Later on, he didn't, it was his dad killing someone he loved when he followed her. You get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    No. I have seen on a TV show (yes I know it's not real but can happen in real life) where this boy said he killed this girl and had blood on him etc and it looks like he really did it. Later on, he didn't, it was his dad killing someone he loved when he followed her. You get the idea.
    Yeah, I've seen a show that sounds like that.. its called "The Jury." its a good show.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've seen a show that sounds like that.. its called "The Jury." its a good show.
    The one I saw is called Judge John Deed.

ReputationRep:
    The one I saw is called Judge John Deed.
    The jury.. its a good show.. it goes through the jury's deliberations.. their reasoning.. etc.. and it shows the councilmen's arguments.. and everything.. then when they have decided on a verdict.. they say it.. and then they show what really happened during the crime.. good show.

ReputationRep:
    The life of 1 innocent person is worth the life of 10,000 gulity people.
    If you cannot convince 1 member of the jury that you are innocent, a unamonous vote is required for the death penalty then wouldnt you find it a bit weird?

if you catch someone in the act of rape, peado treason etcthen ofcourse they should be hung.
    Furthermore it has nothing to do with reducing crime. think about it if you want to commit a crime you DO it, simply because there is a law there you dont go o no its illigal i wont.
    The death penalty should be about punishment and the worst members of society being removed acording

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    If you cannot convince 1 member of the jury that you are innocent, a unamonous vote is required for the death penalty then wouldnt you find it a bit weird?

if you catch someone in the act of rape, peado treason etcthen ofcourse they should be hung.
    Furthermore it has nothing to do with reducing crime. think about it if you want to commit a crime you DO it, simply because there is a law there you dont go o no its illigal i wont.
    The death penalty should be about punishment and the worst members of society being removed acording
    And what of rehabilitation? To err is human. If people can be shown that they were wrong to do something, then society will benefit.

ReputationRep:

Sorry for posting in reply to the same thing again. But you say that one innocent person is worth 10,000 guilty people. Could you please explain this please? After all, those who you deem as guilty were innocent once. And your 'one' innocent person may yet become one of your 'guilty' people. Don't you think there is a problem developing here?

ReputationRep:

Have you studied law at all?

ReputationRep:
    If we restore the death penalty and an innocent person is killed 4 every 10,000 gulity people killed, then it is worth it.

And rehabilittaion, dont make me laugh. Its not school you dont get told u must never do that again.
    All you have to do it pass time in a place other than that you would possibly prefer.
    Do you seriously believe that serial rapist can be rehabilitated. Once a killer always a killer.

ReputationRep:
    If we restore the death penalty and an innocent person is killed 4 every 10,000 gulity people killed, then it is worth it.
    That's all very well saying that if it's not YOU who's the innocent person.

*goes and prepares Blood & Honour's execution for a crime I know he didn't commit - hung, drung and quartered style* Couldn't resist

ReputationRep:
    That's all very well saying that if it's not YOU who's the innocent person.

*goes and prepares Blood & Honour's execution for a crime I know he didn't commit - hung, drung and quartered style* Couldn't resist
    Precisely. The death penalty is hypocritical and irrational. By all means prove your point of how good it is by having yourself executed please.

ReputationRep:

And rehabilittaion, dont make me laugh. Its not school you dont get told u must never do that again.
    All you have to do it pass time in a place other than that you would possibly prefer.
    Do you seriously believe that serial rapist can be rehabilitated. Once a killer always a killer.
    A serial rapist can be rehabilitated, and has been rehabilitated. Once a killer, now a human being with a greater appreciation of human life than most who walk this earth. One's own shortcomings in understanding how people can change should not be extended to all of us. To throw it back in your face...
    You say once a killer, always a killer. Then why isn't it more along the lines of... Once a good person, always a good person. If a human being can change one way, they can most certainly change another. It just takes a bit of maturity from others.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.