Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajay1998)
    Well they're comparable in the sense they pretty cover nearly all of a woman's body, the purpose it's worn for is a bit arbitary.
    Also worth bearing in mind that the full habit is essentially ceremonial wear, worn during services, religious duties, etc. Most of the time, many nuns wear regular clothes.
    Here is a picture of some nuns.

And some more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I have some pretty serious issues with it,
    Maybe you should "grow a spine" then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    So thirsty for reps. I bet only people who wear those things will rep you, and you knew they would. :rolleyes:

Anyway I support the ban! You can be Muslim without wearing it. And it ties into sexism anyway. Plus it makes me feel very uncomfortable.
    Right mate, try look at it from the perspective of a Muslim. They walk around a city. They see the average woman wearing buckets worth of makeup, sexualized advertisement, and expensive clothes. Imagine the freedom a burka brings, no longer having to worry about your makeup, getting catcalled less, plus the obvious of being able to practice your religion peacefully.

If a Muslim breaks the law, I'm all for banning them from wearing a burka. But if a Muslim, just wants to be peaceful, what's the harm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    I'm not the one making up spurious reasons up to prevent people wearing what they like
    Tell you what mate, if my judgement isn't good enough for you, why don't you go out in public wearing that shirt yourself? Then a jury of your peers can give their opinion on whether they think a reasonable person would consider it to be inciting racial or religious hatred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Tell you what mate
    fancy getting tetchy over what someone want's to wear

ReputationRep:
    'Tell you what mate, '

'Right mate'

did I walking into a pub full of angry people or something?

ReputationRep:
    :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by get2work)
    Right mate, try look at it from the perspective of a Muslim. They walk around a city. They see the average woman wearing buckets worth of makeup, sexualized advertisement, and expensive clothes.
    What city are you walking around? Dubai? Monte Carlo?

Imagine the freedom a burka brings, no longer having to worry about your makeup, getting catcalled less,
    But women still wear make-up and expensive clothes under the burqa. It is just that no one is allowed to see it apart from her husband and family.

plus the obvious of being able to practice your religion peacefully.
    So Muslims women who do not wear the burqa cannot practice their religion peacefully?
    You might need to explain that further.

If a Muslim breaks the law, I'm all for banning them from wearing a burka. But if a Muslim, just wants to be peaceful, what's the harm?
    If it is legal to wear a burqa (which it should be), why would breaking the law mean that someone would be banned from wearing it?
    "You have been found guilty of speeding, so off with her burqa!"
    That makes absolutely no sense.
    In fact, none of your post does!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeus007)
    I can totally understand for security reasons in places such as airports. However seeing the news these days and what happened in France where innocent women just wanted to enjoy the beach in a modest way were told to leave because of their "burkini", that's when it starts getting over the top.

Also, i don't know if the burqa is compulsory as i'm not a Muslim so i can't answer that.
    The burqa is not compulsory. It's a rule or law from the country of which that muslim is from. For example Tantawi it's compulsory but the religion doesn't say it is. It's more of a culture. The Hijab or Head scarf is however compulsory by law in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    What city are you walking around? Dubai? Monte Carlo?

But women still wear make-up and expensive clothes under the burqa. It is just that no one is allowed to see it apart from her husband and family.

So Muslims women who do not wear the burqa cannot practice their religion peacefully?
    You might need to explain that further.

If it is legal to wear a burqa (which it should be), why would breaking the law mean that someone would be banned from wearing it?
    "You have been found guilty of speeding, so off with her burqa!"
    That makes absolutely no sense.
    In fact, none of your post does!

"What city are you walking around? Dubai? Monte Carlo?"

I tried sending an image, but it didnt work. so here are some random pics in this link. (edit)

"Sexualised" is a subjective term. You can try to prove me wrong, but you won't get far. The fact of the matter is, western women are often insecure about how they look. If you don't know this, then I doubt you know many women (What a surprise that would be).

"But women still wear make-up and expensive clothes under the burqa. It is just that no one is allowed to see it apart from her husband and family. "

Right, what's your point? People tend to feel less insecure around people they know well, i.e family!

"So Muslims women who do not wear the burqa cannot practice their religion peacefully?
    You might need to explain that further."

I never said women can't practice their religion peacefully without a burka. I was saying that the pro is that they can practice their religion how they want to. I also mentioned that they practice the beliefs they have in a peaceful way.

“If it is legal to wear a burqa (which it should be), why would breaking the law mean that someone would be banned from wearing it? "You have been found guilty of speeding, so off with her burqa!"

Is that how you debate everyone on the internet then? By wildly caricaturing the argument someone has and making it into a completely different argument? If so, please stop.

I did not say banning someone from wearing a burka would be the only punishment. Just that, this could be a punishment. Why? Because it could de-incentivise crime. Because if a Muslim commits a crime, that has a punishment of making them not follow their religious rules, then that religious person is willingly breaking the rules of the religion they follow. Assuming, they know the punishment of course.
    You say none of my post makes sense? Maybe its your comprehension that needs a check up.

One last question, please list all the cons of legalizing the burka. I am willing to change my mind, assuming banning the burka can do substantial good. Which I highly doubt it can.

ReputationRep:
    I am having trouble inserting images from my chromebook, so can't do that at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Maybe you should "grow a spine" then?
    You can tell I've already got one by the fact that I'm not calling for it to be banned. Merely disliking someone's clothes doesn't make a person spineless. Appealing to the government to force them to stop wearing the clothes because it makes you uncomfortable is spineless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShariYeah!)
    Go after the scum that matter, like single teen mothers, clubbers, binge drinkers/druggies - all of which are bigger drain on taxes and all of which the Sharia deals with comprehensively. The majority of women of child rearing age shouldnt be working anyway, but if some do manage to work be grateful that they even associate with westerners. Most muslims would rather work with their own kind and not be in the same room as kuffar.
    is this what Islam teaches you

because I go clubbing I'm scum

I'll save this post and use it when I need to show people what your type of muslim REALLY think.

ReputationRep:
    You can tell I've already got one by the fact that I'm not calling for it to be banned. Merely disliking someone's clothes doesn't make a person spineless. Appealing to the government to force them to stop wearing the clothes because it makes you uncomfortable is spineless.
    Things being comfortable and non-comfortable are what many laws are based upon, if something makes so many people uncomfortable, it should be banned, and you have the security issue on top of that.

A happy and peaceful society requires people being comfortable around each other, willing to talk to each other, the burka prevents that and is basically a giant **** you to everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Be honest, how many of these do you watch? QE2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    So thirsty for reps. I bet only people who wear those things will rep you, and you knew they would. :rolleyes:

Anyway I support the ban! You can be Muslim without wearing it. And it ties into sexism anyway. Plus it makes me feel very uncomfortable.
    Fat white men in speedos on the beach make me very uncomfortable.

Plus it was white men who in uniforms who attacked my native country and murdered my friend's sister.

I think we should ban speedos and military uniforms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    is this what Islam teaches you

because I go clubbing I'm scum

I'll save this post and use it when I need to show people what your type of muslim REALLY think.
    To be fair you were having a go at women that dont work, when clearly the natural state of affairs throughout history has been men doing the hard toil and women the child rearing/pastoral/communal care. Im afraid clubbers are scum as they aren't willing to make the sacrifices that the average sunni muslim makes in order to achieve self improvement/jannah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShariYeah!)
    To be fair you were having a go at women that dont work, when clearly the natural state of affairs throughout history has been men doing the hard toil and women the child rearing/pastoral/communal care. Im afraid clubbers are scum as they aren't willing to make the sacrifices that the average sunni muslim makes in order to achieve self improvement/jannah.
    To be fair no I wasn't

If you need me to explain it I am happy to, but you you'd have to ask nicely and say baaaa an awful lot.

and as a clubber I'm doing so much better than most muslims already (I have a well paid full time job and I'm doing a PhD) shall we compare this with the average UK Muslim?

You see bettering myself includes working hard not prostrating myself a lot and asking for gods help while getting social from kaffirs.

ReputationRep:
    Humans communicate immensely with their facial expressions and eyes. I would feel uncomfortable walking past someone wearing a balaclava or ski mask in public and I don't see why Muslim women should be treated differently.

The one which cover which mainly just cover the hair (Hijab and variations) - Meh, I don't think it looks fashionable and I don't find it an attractive look but whatever floats your boat if that's what you think your religion compells you to do. You can still see the eyes and most of the face.

The ones which cover nearly everything apart from the eye slit (Burqa/Niqab) - Ban them right now! They make me feel deeply uneasy as well as being a sympbol of oppression against Muslim women.

ReputationRep:
    Your "grow a spine" comment was given in response to a specific quote, ie. "it makes me uncomfortable". No mention of banning it. I am not responsible to trawl through previous posts just in case you have used a quote out of context.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.