Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    That answer is too vague to be of any help
    The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned
    Yet another vagueism. Answer my question or admit irrational, arbitrary belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    People think you are a guy because you speak with a certain overconfidence.

No offence men on the thread.

Ok, not an inflammatory comment, just what most of us were thinking given that there are plenty of romantic relationships that take place without sex for so many different reasons. Sine people can't have sex, some people specifically don't want sex. You quite literally have much to learn about the kaleidoscope of relationships out there if that's what you really think.

And I never bother rebutting the laughable yet standard "you were never a real Christian". There's nowhere to sink to once that's been said.
    I'm confident not because of anything I've done, but because of what Jesus has done for me. I don't think I'm better than any other human on this planet, I sin as much as the next person. It is because of Jesus that I have confidence in my faith and in His promises

Isn't the definition of a relationship with someone a connection including sexual activity though? If there isn't sex you are just friends.

Okay so, answer me this, do you or do you not possess the spirit of God within yourself? If you do not, according to Jesus, you are not a Christian

ReputationRep:
    It isn't just how I interpret it, the verses literally couldn't mean anything else:

Romans 1:26-27New International Version (NIV)26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10New International Version (NIV)9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10King James Version (KJV)9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Jesus preached love yes, but he mentions hell more times than anything in the gospels and the importance of repentance and turning away from sin. His message is clear; if you sin you will go to hell. If your parent doesn't have a problem with homosexual acts then they are either not a true Christian or are not familiar with God's word. It is a travesty to have someone who disregards God's word so flippantly and blatantly in a position of Christian scriptural authority
    What are your thoughts on the scriptures prohibiting sitting where menstruating women have sat, wearing clothes that contain different fibres, eating seafood, stoning adulterers, and other silliness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Yet another vagueism. Answer my question or admit irrational, arbitrary belief.
    Okay then; personal spiritual experiences involving God Himself.

That is all I will say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    What are your thoughts on the scriptures prohibiting sitting where menstruating women have sat, wearing clothes that contain different fibres, eating seafood, stoning adulterers, and other silliness?
    Lol answered this question 1,000,000x look back on the thread

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the definition of a relationship with someone a connection including sexual activity though? If there isn't sex you are just friends.
    No, you can be in a relationship with someone and not have sex. Haven't you heard of a platonic romance?

ReputationRep:
    Okay then; personal spiritual experiences involving God Himself.

That is all I will say
    How do you know it was God? I can continue this all night.

ReputationRep:
    No, you can be in a relationship with someone and not have sex. Haven't you heard of a platonic romance?
    In your opinion. No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    How do you know it was God? I can continue this all night.
    It couldn't have been anyone or anything else, it happened exactly like it says in the Bible

ReputationRep:
    It couldn't have been anyone or anything else, it happened exactly like it says in the Bible
    Yes it could have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Yes it could have.
    Trust me, it wasn't

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, it wasn't
    I have no reason to take your word regarding an extraordinary claim.

ReputationRep:
    Old Testament stuff. Not relevant anymore now Jesus has come:

Jeremiah 31:31-34 ESV / 202 helpful votes “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Hebrews 8:13 ESV / 123 helpful votes In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 9:15 ESV / 110 helpful votes Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.

Hebrews 8:7-8 ESV / 91 helpful votes For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second. For he finds fault with them when he says: “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

Luke 22:20 ESV / 82 helpful votes And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

1 Corinthians 11:25 ESV / 65 helpful votes In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

2 Corinthians 3:6 ESV / 64 helpful votes Who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Romans 7:6 ESV / 54 helpful votes But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Hebrews 8:6 ESV / 49 helpful votes But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.

Romans 8:1-39 ESV / 44 helpful votes There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. ...

Hebrews 9:11-15 ESV / 41 helpful votes But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.

Mark 14:24 ESV / 39 helpful votes And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many

.Romans 11:27 ESV / 37 helpful votes “and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins.”

Romans 6:14 ESV / 37 helpful votes For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace

.Romans 8:1-4 ESV / 33 helpful votes There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Jeremiah 31:31 ESV / 32 helpful votes “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

Hebrews 12:24 ESV / 27 helpful votes And to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Hebrews 10:16 ESV / 24 helpful votes “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,”

Colossians 2:16-17 ESV / 23 helpful votes Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

Hebrews 8:10 ESV / 22 helpful votes For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Romans 4:11 ESV / 17 helpful votes He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well,

Luke 24:44 ESV / 16 helpful votes Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

John 1:12 ESV / 14 helpful votes But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV / 11 helpful votes Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Matthew 26:28 ESV / 11 helpful votes For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Acts 2:38 ESV / 10 helpful votes And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

John 3:1-36 ESV / 10 helpful votes Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. ...
    Okay, so how about Matthew 5:17-19, from the Sermon on the Mount: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Seems like we're getting mixed messages.

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion. No
    Ahem.

Mary and Joseph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I have no reason to take your word regarding an extraordinary claim.
    You will think what you will think and there isn't anything I can do to change that but you have been warned about the impending return of Jesus. If you find yourself on the wrong foot with Him don't blame me

ReputationRep:
    I'm confident not because of anything I've done, but because of what Jesus has done for me. I don't think I'm better than any other human on this planet, I sin as much as the next person. It is because of Jesus that I have confidence in my faith and in His promises

Okay so, answer me this, do you or do you not possess the spirit of God within yourself? If you do not, according to Jesus, you are not a Christian
    There's not a original sentence here. It's how you're taught to respond, taught to suppress your doubt, taught to pardon yourself before others by the church. Everything you have said in the thread, an unoriginal, parroted sound bite.

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion. No
    "In my opinion", well, in many peoples' opinions; indeed, in the opinions of people who form such relationships, whose opinions would seem to matter more than ours. "Platonic" means intimate and affectionate but not sexual. Clearly it's common enough to garner its own word.

ReputationRep:
    You will think what you will think and there isn't anything I can do to change that but you have been warned about the impending return of Jesus. If you find yourself on the wrong foot with Him don't blame me
    I believe there is a higher being that will punish all followers of Christ with eternal hellfire.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so how about Matthew 5:17-19, from the Sermon on the Mount: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Seems like we're getting mixed messages.
    Easy. The entire reason the OT law was established in the first place was to provide the Jewish people with a temporary solution to the problem of sin, but the blood of bulls could not satisfactorily cover sin for God. The Law also provides mankind with an idea of God's moral nature and how far we fall short of His perfection. When Jesus says he came to fulfill the law He meant that he took on the sin of all the world when he died at the cross and thus God's wrath against sin was satisfied with Jesus. Jesus' sacrifice was enough to cover humanities sin forever hence the purpose of the OT system was now finished. There was no need for it when Jesus died and rose again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.