Gap Year Thread 2016/17

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LamantChenille)
    Hi everyone!
    I'm currently on my gap year-spending a year in Paris living with a French family and working as an au pair! So far it's pretty good. Though it is quite strange to see so many people from school starting university, and knowing that when I start next year I'll be a year behind them!
    One of my friends is an au pair out in Italy for the year and is loving it!

Loads of people take gap years and so it will not be uncommon to be starting a year behind. I wouldn't even think of it as being a year behind providing you do something productive with your year!

(Original post by Jedwards)
    Hi guys,

I'm (unfortunately) on a forced gap year due to missing my results on results day, and then meeting them through a remark when it was too late to still be accepted, so have to take a year off to reapply.

I'm living in London and am planning on studying Law

I've applied for volunteering with the citizen's advice bureau and am looking for work experience with Law firms. Does anyone have any ideas/tips/suggestions for how else I can fill up my year given that this is very last minute?
    That must have been incredibly annoying, did they not offer you a place for 2017? Show that you are doing something with your year out rather than just sitting at home doing nothing!

(Original post by _JOKER_)
    Anyone know of any science/engineering opportunities?
    I would suggest looking for work experience. You could also contact Headstart. I am not sure if they do anything for gap years but I went on one of their courses in the summer between year 12 and year 13 and it was really good for engineering.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!!!

I'm on a gap year too! I applied for Veterinary Medicine last year and got two offers from London's RVC (firm) and Liverpool. I missed my grades of AAA so I'm reapplying to do a prelim year and then the normal 5yr course!

Was wondering if people had any idea's of good (and definitely affordable) travel destinations? I've never been abroad before so I'm thinking now is the time to do it! I'm currently working to get some funds together. I'm from Cornwall

I saw someone mentioning about getting fit? I've recently joined a running club and I'm planning to do a marathon next summer!!!

Would be good to hear from people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonyG98)
    Good idea (: I hope it goes well, and let us know!
    Sorry for the late reply! Well i am sorting work experience out rn so ill get back to you in a few days!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm on a gap year, the only one of my friends who even considered it and so far I've aupaired in Spain, had a month work experience in Surrey and completed my UCAS application to study economics and geography. I'm currently going through the stressful situation of actually finding a temp job until Christmas to help fund my travels my volunteering placement and travels around Africa.
    So far I feel my Gap Year experience has been a good one but as I'm living away from home and in the working world I have no contact with people of my own age, it can get a bit lonely. Any tips for getting a temp job? Any cheap weekend ideas to meet up with people like us around London? I'm sporty, chatty and love trying out new things!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm on a gap year too! I decided to take a year out to study music (I will be doing Chemistry at university) but I'm regretting this choice and will be dropping out of the music course in December. I really need some advice on how to 'fix' this year! The amount of time left seems so daunting to me...! and I'm worried I'll be behind when I start uni.

Does anyone have any work experience or volunteering suggestions for the sciences?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm Isabel and I'm on a gap year because I didn't do so well in my AS year and thought I'd have better chances of getting into my uni choices once I got my A2 grades. I got Psychology (A*) Spanish (B) and English Literature (B) I'm sad about spanish as I was aiming for A*AB but oh well.

Right now I'm working full time at a nursery, mainly because it pays well (not wholly interested in early years education) and doing some volunteering at a charity called missing people. I'm doing my UCAS application now but I'm so scared I won't get into some courses that are AAB - any advice/experience that can control my nerves?

I'm applying for sociology/social sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaAl)
    Hi!
    I'm on a gap year too! I decided to take a year out to study music (I will be doing Chemistry at university) but I'm regretting this choice and will be dropping out of the music course in December. I really need some advice on how to 'fix' this year! The amount of time left seems so daunting to me...! and I'm worried I'll be behind when I start uni.

Does anyone have any work experience or volunteering suggestions for the sciences?
    Hey Aisha, first of all I feel completely the same about this gap year - at first I was super excited, but now it just feels daunting and almost as if I'm being left behind as all my friends are off at uni!

I'd recommend trying to find some volunteering placements for chemistry? If you have a specific area you're interested in I'd try to research online and see what you can find. If not, talks are good too! Try and find something fulfilling to do with your time because even though I have a job, I still feel lost/lonely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9katybaty8)
    Hi,

I'm on a gap year, the only one of my friends who even considered it and so far I've aupaired in Spain, had a month work experience in Surrey and completed my UCAS application to study economics and geography. I'm currently going through the stressful situation of actually finding a temp job until Christmas to help fund my travels my volunteering placement and travels around Africa.
    So far I feel my Gap Year experience has been a good one but as I'm living away from home and in the working world I have no contact with people of my own age, it can get a bit lonely. Any tips for getting a temp job? Any cheap weekend ideas to meet up with people like us around London? I'm sporty, chatty and love trying out new things!
    Can relate with you on the loneliness side of a gap year! Its really amazing that you've been travelling though. Right now i'm working at a nursery from 8am to 1:30pm which is 5 days a week and pays well. I found it on gumtree so I suggest looking on there and other apps like job today, reed or indeed.

I live in London and would love to meet up with you and others who are also on a gap year! I basically only have 2 other people I know who are on a gap year and are in London so it does get pretty lonely

ReputationRep:
    It's somewhat nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling lonely and lost. I was initially so excited for my gap year - like yes, not going through a 'system' finally. Turns out systems are pretty damn great. I just can't wait for uni and I hope I'm not at a disadvantage because of this year.

I've done so much internet research... it's pretty much all I do to pass the time. I've emailed loads of people with not much luck
    I'm from london, where abouts do you live? and what are you going to study/where at uni?
    sorry for being overly keen..!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, where abouts in London are you from? I live in London too, I'll be moving back there at around Christmas to look for a job to pass time until I going to uni!!

ReputationRep:
    I got AAA but never applied for Medicine last year so applied this year.
    Currently got a part time job, I need to do more :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaAl)
    It's somewhat nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling lonely and lost. I was initially so excited for my gap year - like yes, not going through a 'system' finally. Turns out systems are pretty damn great. I just can't wait for uni and I hope I'm not at a disadvantage because of this year.

I've done so much internet research... it's pretty much all I do to pass the time. I've emailed loads of people with not much luck
    I'm from london, where abouts do you live? and what are you going to study/where at uni?
    sorry for being overly keen..!
    I know right!? I thought when I started my gap year I would feel 'free' in a sense, but now I realise the importance of plans and structure in my life. I can't wait for uni too... You won't be at a disadvantage, it will just take you time to get into the swing of a completely different routine - it is only October!

I'm from south west London, putney specifically I'm going to study sociology/social sciences at uni and am applying to ucl, goldmsmiths, bath and bristol. I've chosen 2 courses at ucl (overly keen, I know.) so I really hope I get in! What about you? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    I got AAA but never applied for Medicine last year so applied this year.
    Currently got a part time job, I need to do more :/
    any hobbies you could pick up?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling with their personal statement? I didn't write one last year because I was essentially taking AS and A2 year together so didn't have much time. I've been trying to draft my statement for weeks now and still feel like I can't express my interest well enough in words... The main issue that I'm applying to sociology and social science degrees apart from one which is called science and society and has a bit about the philosophy of science - how do I tie that in well without it sticking out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of my waffling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revolutioning)
    any hobbies you could pick up?
    Not much to do around my area :/
    I go gym and keep myself active, currently learning to drive too, but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops double post.

ReputationRep:
    I know right!? I thought when I started my gap year I would feel 'free' in a sense, but now I realise the importance of plans and structure in my life. I can't wait for uni too... You won't be at a disadvantage, it will just take you time to get into the swing of a completely different routine - it is only October!

I'm from south west London, putney specifically I'm going to study sociology/social sciences at uni and am applying to ucl, goldmsmiths, bath and bristol. I've chosen 2 courses at ucl (overly keen, I know.) so I really hope I get in! What about you? xx

yes! this is not freeing... I'm just sending LOADS of emails to try and find something to do. Normally I'm quite a creative person and I wanted to spend this year experimenting with music, but now I resent it....
    I feel like I'm going to be so overly keen next year at uni!
    that's so cool, best of luck! I like in north london, and I have a place at Manchester to do Chemistry - I'm having to use so much self control to stop obssessing over the Manchester Website, I'm so excited!
    Have you managed to find anything to do for this year? xx

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get a desk job in London at 18 (on a gap year)? If so, how would I go about finding one?

I got A*A*AA in my A-Levels but I'm having a really hard time finding work. I could work at Tesco however I'd rather do something else (If I can't find anything else in the next week or so I will start working there though).

I'd really like to use my more technical skills in a job however all of the ones I have come across require a uni degree which makes sense.

I don't want to travel the world like others as I'm kinda socially inept and would rather just stay at home and work.

I'm getting depressed staying at home all the time and would like something to do, I don't even care about the money really. It would be great to have a standard 9-5 desk job where i get payed £50 a week since that's what I need to pay my mum for rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get a desk job in London at 18 (on a gap year)? If so, how would I go about finding one?

I got A*A*AA in my A-Levels but I'm having a really hard time finding work. I could work at Tesco however I'd rather do something else (If I can't find anything else in the next week or so I will start working there though).

I'd really like to use my more technical skills in a job however all of the ones I have come across require a uni degree which makes sense.

I don't want to travel the world like others as I'm kinda socially inept and would rather just stay at home and work.

I'm getting depressed staying at home all the time and would like something to do, I don't even care about the money really. It would be great to have a standard 9-5 desk job where i get payed £50 a week since that's what I need to pay my mum for rent.
    Join us at CityYear (not to sound evangelical). Basically you volunteer as a student mentor/ teaching assistant at a primary or secondary school where you help kids in classes and during break time. It's really interesting and the day passes quickly but the hours are long. As for your social ineptness, you're not going to be worse than I am. They pay a 100 pounds a week + travel expenses.

*Btw I too will be doing TheoPhys next year *

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling with their personal statement? I didn't write one last year because I was essentially taking AS and A2 year together so didn't have much time. I've been trying to draft my statement for weeks now and still feel like I can't express my interest well enough in words... The main issue that I'm applying to sociology and social science degrees apart from one which is called science and society and has a bit about the philosophy of science - how do I tie that in well without it sticking out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of my waffling?
    Hi rev, i graduated with a major in sociology from derby this year, and the main piece of advice i would give is to be confident. List your aptitudes, what you are good at, academically and what you enjoy. Try to build up a written portfolio, in the space of the word limit you are allowed, including the favourite books you have read in your spare time, and what makes you think stand out from the crowd. Be yourself, and above all else be honest. Tell them if you are aware of any areas you think you use work, (referencing for example), but explain your strategies to deal with this. And good luck! j

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.