Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

When will the religious people realize there is NO afterlife ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    There is NO life after death.
    We are our bodies , more precisely our brains.
    There is no such thing as a "soul".
    There is no such thing as "heaven" " hell" .
    These are all inventions of the religious people.
    No one is going to reborn , we only live once.
    Why do you even care? Let people believe what they want to believe.

(Original post by Carthaginian)
    You can keep believing in your sky God
    I assume you have evidence for this belief of yours that I believe in a "sky God"? (I am hinting your belief is incorrect)

Such irony when you mention evidence in the next line of your answer...

I'll stick to my own realistic beliefs, that actually have evidence.
    This is evidently false going by your previous statement.

Anyway, I am not referring to God here. These are your words:

"Just think about it for a second, sure, God could exist. But Heaven and/or Hell?
    That's just stupid
    "

I was simply commenting on the heaven and hell section of your post, and attempting to at least show how it's not a "stupid" concept when you openly confirm a possibility of a God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    I assume you have evidence for this belief of yours that I believe in a "sky God"? (I am hinting your belief is incorrect)

Such irony when you mention evidence in the next line of your answer...

This is evidently false going by your previous statement.

Anyway, I am not referring to God here. These are your words:

"Just think about it for a second, sure, God could exist. But Heaven and/or Hell?
    That's just stupid "

I was simply commenting on the heaven and hell section of your post, and attempting to at least show how it's not a "stupid" concept when you openly confirm a possibility of a God.
    Yes, it's stupid because I said it, and i'm the EMPEROR OF THE UNIVERSE!

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to be open minded once you get to the truth.
    Do we need to be open minded that maybe the earth is not round? or that there is no such thing as gravity ?.
    But what if gravity is not pulling us towards the earth, but instead the rest of the universe pushing us towards it?

You need to look at things from a different mindset, no matter how absurd or logical you believe it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    No, Madonna wasn't there at the beginning of time. Neither was religion or religious scripture.

Yes, there is a reason religion has survived so long, most likely because it comforts people to believe that this life isn't the end and because it's been enforced by the state for hundreds of years. But a reason for religion surviving doesn't mean that religion itself, or anything else, has a supernatural purpose.

Well the major Abrahamic religions still have a way to go before they catch up with the ancient religions. What about Homer's descriptions of the Greek gods? People witnessed him write the Odyssey, the Iliad etc, therefore they must be correct! Yesterday I also saw a pig fly, if I write it down on a piece of paper than that should solidify it as historic fact, right?

Wait, so you're trusting the scripture in some places, but not about the sea parting? So, basically, what you're saying is that you, a mortal, are picking and choosing what did and what did not happen in this holy text of yours, despite people of the past 'witnessing' the sea parting? Seriously, you don't even need me to undermine your own argument. And trust me, in the year 1898 the only thing that would be left of Ramesses' body would be dust, particularly if it was in the sea.

Edit: His body was discovered in a tomb anyway, not the sea lol
    Some really good points here.

I'm wondering if centuries in the future somebody will dig up a Harry Potter book and conclude that in our time there was magic and this aweful "dark lord" who we all feared so much we would never speak his name. Most of the time when we find stuff we have no context so we make up our own. Half the "religions" we uncover may just be fandoms for some ancient JK Rowling's writings.
    Religion may have been there at the beginning of time- hell there may have even been gods walking amoung us- but we will have no idea because there is no way it would have been recorded in a way that would survive for this long.
    And for your point about it lasing so long not making it true, it would be like saying "my grandma said it so it must be true". Just cos people have believed it doesn't make it real. The true part about religion is a person's need to make sense of the world and explain the unexplainable. That's where religion comes from and why it will always be around. Now one of those religions may actually end up being true or partially true,but there isn't any reason the MUST be.

Yes, it's stupid because I said it, and i'm the EMPEROR OF THE UNIVERSE!
    **resorting to complete drivel as opposed to responding to the points raised in my post**

No no of course, you win this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahaitsme)
    so there's two ways to go about this.....either we live and die and that's it or we live and live and live and tbh both are just as possible as eachother. Yes maybe we make up religion to give ourselves some hope so we don't live with fear and maybe life is really a test and it's all about believing enough to have a belief. I mean do you see air? No right? but it's still there . It still exists around us whether or not it is visible to the human eye. Now do you see God? No? but if air cannot be seen but in existent what's different when it comes to God? (Hold the hate - I ain't even religious...more curious tbh). You could then argue and say that i can't see a flying elephant ...just bc of the air situation i'm not gonna believe in flying elephants and true that is. Yes, maybe God doesn't exist and maybe there's no life after death and nothing happens but if nothing happens what's the harm in believing? Maybe you'll hope will die but you'll die before you get dissapointed right?

Basically, believing in God and/or life after death doesn't in reality do any harm and therefore no-one should have a problem in religious people and their beliefs -.-
    The comparison with air is a poor one as air can be empirically detected using equipment therefore we know it's there for a fact. God cannot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    **resorting to complete drivel as opposed to responding to the points raised in my post**

No no of course, you win this one!
    What points did you raise?
    Absolute uselessness that no one even needs to know about.
    However, i've evidence at my side, you've none.
    STEP AWAY FROM MY CHAIR!

ReputationRep:
    Cute

I'll let you believe what you want but please let the rest of us make up our own minds. As you did say we do ALL have a "BRAIN"

What points did you raise?
    Absolute uselessness that no one even needs to know about.
    However, i've evidence at my side, you've none.
    STEP AWAY FROM MY CHAIR!
    Perhaps re-reading the comments would be a start.

Nonetheless, I am off now.

You're going to have to find someone with more spare time to play with.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough (I too don't believe in the afterlife) but to say there isn't one might not necessarily be true. How do we KNOW for certain (instead of giving a year 6 answer of: because there just isn't) that there is not life after death.
    Sure it is highly improbable but there is and will never be evidence to say there isn't one or that there is. People have NDE (near death experiences) and some use that to argue the existence of the afterlife (I personally don't as they could be false propositions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Although I usually welcome constructive criticism as it shows people aren't blindly following a set of rules and are using thought; I do think (unfortunately) however this common occurrence of specifically targeting Islam will not die down for some time to come.
    It's getting tiring to read, and frankly it's getting a bit old. Every single TSR thread I read on religion, it's the same. I miss the days when I had RE in school and we would discuss and think critically about all different religions without being outright disrespectful.

I'm not muslim, but if I saw my religion being bashed constantly by everyone, it would probably bring me to tears. Like people forget, this is someones belief system. People devote time and effort to their religion, they have a great deal of respect for their Prophet muhammad and Allah etc, so how can you be so insulting?

If someone told you that your mother was a whore and your father was a pedophile, how would you take that? Your parents are people you have a huge deal of respect for, so to see someone bashing them will clearly create upset and frustration.

My point is, we can talk about islam, like anything else in the world without being disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Perhaps re-reading the comments would be a start.

Nonetheless, I am off now.

You're going to have to find someone with more spare time to play with.
    You've been played by only the greatest.

ReputationRep:
    is that why ur scared of death?because u can't continue ur life after death?
    jk....tbh i have no answer because i don't care what other ppl believe in since its their choice

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    when I had RE in school and we would discuss and think critically about all different religions without being outright disrespectful.
    This is how noble and respectful people debate.

I'm not muslim, but if I saw my religion being bashed constantly by everyone, it would probably bring me to tears.
    Sometimes it is saddening what people put forward. However, I recognize that this isn't even an iota of what people I revere have been through to protect the sacred and pure teachings of my religion.

Most, in fact all I have ever encountered, are completely ignorant to this. Often, people who have severely damaged the religion are used as hadith narrators.

Like people forget, this is someones belief system. People devote time and effort to their religion, they have a great deal of respect for their Prophet muhammad and Allah etc, so how can you be so insulting?
    I do agree with your points. However, assessing it from an objective perspective, there are some Muslims to blame who fuel this hatred further.

I am ashamed to say this, but there have been times where the manners of Non Muslims have been greater than Muslims themselves.

If someone told you that your mother was a whore and your father was a pedophile, how would you take that? Your parents are people you have a huge deal of respect for, so to see someone bashing them will clearly create upset and frustration.
    You're correct here.

However, I would like to inform you that there are Muslims who believe worse concoctions of the Holy Prophet and their family, than even some non Muslims.

I say this from experience.

My point is, we can talk about islam, like anything else in the world without being disrespectful.
    Agreed.

However, (without appearing to justify their acts), certain obviously flawed beliefs fuel such disrespectful views.

You've been played by only the greatest.
    And if I outplay such a person, then what does that make me?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even religious but i will like there to be an afterlife or be Reborn. The thought of absolute nothing frightens me.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you bothered?

To each their own.

ReputationRep:
    This cannot be proven right or wrong, because no one can 'test' the afterlife- so why should I accept an opinion that I don't like the look of? I like to think that there is something after death, and I do believe that there is a soul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    The comparison with air is a poor one as air can be empirically detected using equipment therefore we know it's there for a fact. God cannot.
    Yes, but you still have no evidence to disprove the existence of god. I suggest you better start working on an "empirical" equipment to disprove the existence of God to justify your claim.

Your strong opinions are clouding your judgement whether or not the existence of God has been disproved.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.