Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    In my above post I'm assuming that it's an equation you're supposed to solve for \theta. If by making the LHS equal the RHS you mean proving it as an identity then that's not possible because it's not an identity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    An identity with a '2' in it? I've never come across that yet
    Well that was a really mess up with the latex lol. I meant an identity with a \cot^2 in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Are you sure that is the question? The two are not identical.
    OMG, my brain really is fried today!! I must have been looking at the answers to a complete different question

It's definitely one of those days where I should have just crawled back into bed as soon as I got home from work Seriously FML!!

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. I will refrain from posting for the rest of the night.

ReputationRep:
    OMG, my brain really is fried today!! I must have been looking at the answers to a complete different question

It's definitely one of those days where I should have just crawled back into bed as soon as I got home from work Seriously FML!!

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. I will refrain from posting for the rest of the night.
    Relax

ReputationRep:
    These Trig Identities are seriously testing my patience!

I've tried absolutely everything with this question to the point where I've started making up my own rules

Name:  C3 - EXE6D Q(7) Trig Identities.png
Views: 28
Size:  2.0 KB

So I'm pretty certain I can start off by using the Trig Identity 1+ tan^2 \theta = \sec ^2 \theta

to give me...
    3tan^2 \theta +4(1+tan^2 \theta) = 5

Then I expand the brackets and re-arrange the equation to give me...
     7tan^2 \theta =1 <<<have I done something wrong already?

ReputationRep:
    These Trig Identities are seriously testing my patience!

I've tried absolutely everything with this question to the point where I've started making up my own rules

Name:  C3 - EXE6D Q(7) Trig Identities.png
Views: 28
Size:  2.0 KB

So I'm pretty certain I can start off by using the Trig Identity 1+ tan^2 \theta = \sec ^2 \theta

to give me...
    3tan^2 \theta +4(1+tan^2 \theta) = 5

Then I expand the brackets and re-arrange the equation to give me...
     7tan^2 \theta =1 <<<have I done something wrong already?
    You're correct. Why is it wrong??

ReputationRep:
    You're correct. Why is it wrong??
    Because I feel like I get stuck from there on

I know I can use the Identity  tan \theta = \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} but then I have no idea how to solve just for  sin \theta Things just get too messy

ReputationRep:
    Because I feel like I get stuck from there on

I know I can use the Identity  tan \theta = \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} but then I have no idea how to solve just for  sin \theta
    So you got the value of 7\tan^2(\theta)=1 which means that 7\sin^2(\theta)=\cos^2(\theta) (mult. both sides by cosine squared after expressing tan in terms of sine and cosine) then express cosine squared in terms of sine squared then square root sine term and get the correct value for an obtuse angle.

ReputationRep:
    So you got the value of 7\tan^2(\theta)=1 which means that 7\sin^2(\theta)=\cos^2(\theta) (mult. both sides by cosine squared after expressing tan in terms of sine and cosine) then express cosine squared in terms of sine squared then square root sine term and get the correct value for an obtuse angle.
    Ok so from...
     7sin^2 \theta = cos^2 \theta

This gives me...
     7sin^2 \theta = 1- sin^2 \theta

Then add sin^2(theta) to both sides? to give...
     8sin^2 \theta = 1

sin^2 \theta = \frac{1}{8}

sin \theta = \sqrt \frac{1}{8}

To which I end up having to rationalise the denominator?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so from...
     7sin^2 \theta = cos^2 \theta

This gives me...
     7sin^2 \theta = 1- sin^2 \theta

Then add sin^2(theta) to both sides? to give...
     8sin^2 \theta = 1

sin^2 \theta = \frac{1}{8}

sin \theta = \sqrt \frac{1}{8}

To which I end up having to rationalise the denominator?
    Correct working, and you don't have to rationalise it, but remember that square rooting gives \pm the answer and you need to state the reason for your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Correct working, and you don't have to rationalise it, but remember that square rooting gives \pm the answer and you need to state the reason for your choice.
    Oh yeah of course!! \theta only appears between 90 and 180 (in the 2nd quadrant) when sin is +ve

Therefore...
     sin \theta \not = - \frac {\sqrt 2}{4}

so...
     sin \theta = + \frac {\sqrt 2}{4}

Thanks again for your help!! I can't even begin to explain how much I appreciate it! Maybe I should donate money to you haha. Or pay you to tutor me :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah of course!! \theta only appears between 90 and 180 (in the 2nd quadrant) when sin is +ve

Therefore...
     sin \theta \not = - \frac {\sqrt 2}{4}

so...
     sin \theta = + \frac {\sqrt 2}{4}

Thanks again for your help!! I can't even begin to explain how much I appreciate it! Maybe I should donate money to you haha. Or pay you to tutor me :P
    Haha no problem, well done

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I realise I absolutely suck at trigonometry as I'm stuck on yet another question ...

Q) Solve the equation for the following interval...
    Name:  C3 Trignometry EXE2D Q8d.png
Views: 22
Size:  822 Bytes

Am I right in thinking that the trig identity... 1 + \cot^2 \theta = \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta... can be rearranged to give...
    1- \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta = -\cot ^2 \theta

So for this question I would do...
     \cot \theta = 1-\mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta

\cot \theta = - \cot ^2 \theta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I realise I absolutely suck at trigonometry as I'm stuck on yet another question ...

Q) Solve the equation for the following interval...
    Name:  C3 Trignometry EXE2D Q8d.png
Views: 22
Size:  822 Bytes

Am I right in thinking that the trig identity... 1 + \cot^2 \theta = \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta... can be rearranged to give...
    1- \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta = -\cot ^2 \theta

So for this question I would do...
     \cot \theta = 1-\mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta

\cot \theta = - \cot ^2 \theta
    Okay so you cannot divide otherwise you'd be losing solutions.

From moving RHS onto LHS, you get \cot^2 \theta + \cot \theta = 0 at which point you can factorise LHS and solve two equations for \theta in the given range.

ReputationRep:

From moving RHS onto LHS, you get \cot^2 \theta + \cot \theta = 0 at which point you can factorise LHS and solve two equations for \theta in the given range.
    You'll also notice why \cot\theta \not \equiv \dfrac{1}{\tan\theta} from solving this equation.

ReputationRep:

Ok I'm not sure how I still ended up losing 2 of the solutions

This is what I got...
    Name:  Photo 21-09-2016, 14 25 47.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  378.2 KB

(Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    You'll also notice why \cot\theta \not \equiv \dfrac{1}{\tan\theta} from solving this equation.
    Yeah because it'll give you no solution right? How do i work around that?

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm not sure how I still ended up losing 2 of the solutions

This is what I got...
    Correct solutions.

That is the pitfall you made as the question aims to throw people off, and IrrationalRoot pointed out

\cot \theta \not\equiv \frac{1}{\tan \theta}

If you turn \cot \theta \equiv \frac{\cos \theta}{\sin \theta} = 0 then you can see if \cos \theta = 0 then your equation still holds and you get more solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I find it absurd how so many place say that it is an IDENTITY, when this question is a perfect example of why it is not.

ReputationRep:
    Correct solutions.

That is the pitfall you made as the question aims to throw people off, and IrrationalRoot pointed out

\cot \theta \not\equiv \frac{1}{\tan \theta}

If you turn \cot \theta \equiv \frac{\cos \theta}{\sin \theta} = 0 then you can see if \cos \theta = 0 then your equation still holds and you get more solutions.
    Oh right so I should have known that... \cot \theta \equiv \frac{1}{\tan \theta} ... isn't actually an identity. I seriously thought it was! Why are the books so misleading at times?

Ok so now that I know. I should have done this...

\cot \theta = 0

\frac{1}{tan \theta} = 0

\frac{cos \theta}{sin \theta} = 0

Then I times both sides by sin \theta to give...

cos \theta = 0

Then just work out the other solutions from there?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right so I should have known that... \cot \theta \equiv \frac{1}{\tan \theta} ... isn't actually an identity. I seriously thought it was! Why are the books so misleading at times?

Ok so now that I know. I should have done this...

\cot \theta = 0

\frac{1}{tan \theta} = 0

\frac{cos \theta}{sin \theta} = 0

Then I times both sides by sin \theta to give...

cos \theta = 0

Then just work out the other solutions from there?
    Essentially yeah, but your second line wouldn't be correct because if I were to multiply both sides by \tan \theta then I would be left with 1=0\cdot \tan \theta = 0 \Rightarrow 1=0 which doesn't make sense.
    Again, you made the same mistake by assuming \cot \theta \equiv \frac{1}{\tan \theta}. If you ignore line 2, then that working would be fine.

Also it would see more straight forward if from your fractorised form you went:

\frac{\cos \theta}{\sin \theta}(1+\cot \theta)=0 \Rightarrow \cos \theta (1+\cot \theta)=0

From multiplying both sides by sine.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.