Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Just 6% of people got these basic science questions right. How well will you do? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    11/12

I noticed that whites and males systematically get better answers than women and blacks and Hispanics. :creep:
    Whitey only did better because their ancestors culturally appropriated all the scientific knowledge from black people. They wuz Kangs, don't you know?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by justinawe)
    10/12 👀

got the boiling water and vaccine ones wrong. i knew the vaccine one wouldn't be newton or einstein and i've never heard of salk or whatever his name was so i went with marie curie lol.
    Got the boiling one wrong too. Surprised at you tho. You're a physicist

ReputationRep:
    Nice title easy way to get people to answer a survey lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Got the boiling one wrong too. Surprised at you tho. You're a physicist
    dunno, guess i just didn't really take the time to think about that one that's more on the physical chemistry side though, isn't it? taking a couple physics classes doesn't make me a physicist anyway.

ReputationRep:
    10/12

ReputationRep:
    12/12 only got the Stalk one because I've had it on a different quiz but ah well, if you know then you know, doesn't matter how you know

americans are dumb lol 12/12

ReputationRep:
    8/12

ReputationRep:
    Twelve. Lemme just climb up on that high horse of mine.

Also why the hell is there a question about astrology?

For those confused about boiling points and whatnot:
    - Forget what you learned in school, boiling point is only 100 degrees Celsius at sea level.
    - Energy is used to boil water. It breaks bonds between water molecules.
    - Water only boils once the pressure of this internal vapour equals atmospheric pressure.
    - Higher altitudes = lower air pressure.
    - So less energy is needed to bring water to the boiling point at lower air pressures.
    - It therefore takes longer to cook food at higher altitudes because the temperature of the water is lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    12/12
    Seriously though, a question about ASTROLOGY in a science quiz? You've got to be kidding me. Plus knowing the names of scientists doesn't make you good at science. Hell, I got that question right only because I knew it wasn't the other 3 who did it. All these questions were so random and meaningless.
    I think the astrology one was fair, because it was a test of being able to distinguish it from a true science like astronomy.

ReputationRep:
    11/12, who the hell is Jonas Salk I guess I know now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    X
    Alternatively just know PV = kT where K is a constant and go from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    11/12, who the hell is Jonas Salk I guess I know now
    The alternatives (Einstein, Curie, Newton) were ridiculous so you didn't need to know him tbh.

ReputationRep:
    11/12, somehow managed to mess up the hottest part of the Earth question. The boiling water one I remember from an episode of QI, and the Polio vaccine was just a process of elimination.

ReputationRep:
    10/12 yaaas. Had no clue about the boiling water one but the Polio vaccine was one of the questions I was 100% certain about. Polio has two different vaccines (Salk and Sabin), the Salk one being named after the inventor :P

ReputationRep:
    12/12 im gassed

ReputationRep:
    11/12 - I got the magnifying glass one wrong.

I noticed two problems with the title here; firstly it's Americans only, and secondly it says in the article only 6% of Americans got 12/12, which is not surprising given the TSR answers. The title makes it look as if only 6% of Americans got any of the questions right, but this is not the case.

The questions could just as easily have been;

1. What is 1 + 1?

2. What is 1 + 2?

3. What is 2 - 1?

4. What is 2 x 2?

5. What is 2 / 2?

6. What is 0 x 1?

7. What is 2 + 2?

8. What is 1 + 4?

9. What is 1 x 10?

10. What is 3 - 0?

11. Is the Pope a Catholic?

12. What is the molecular structure of Codeine?

...and you would have got a similar statistic, regardless of whether you asked American children, TSR users, or Cambridge mathematicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    The alternatives (Einstein, Curie, Newton) were ridiculous so you didn't need to know him tbh.
    I went with Curie since I was sure she died creating something but I couldn't remember what it was
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    10/12 LOOOL I got 2 physics questions wrong (I knew it!! Physics again!!) :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    I went with Curie since I was sure she died creating something but I couldn't remember what it was
    Fair, she was involved in the first research involving radiaton therapy for cancer (or something like that). I was ignorant of that and thought of her exclusively as a physicist. Had I known that she was involved in medical research, I'd have picked her too.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.