Why you are an atheist?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Because there's no god.

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly care anymore. I am pretty happy in my life and feel no "emptiness" merely because I have disregarded religion.

There may or may not be a God but he certainly hasn't represented himself to human beings through the fallible rantings of Middle Eastern men.

ReputationRep:
    Cuz I don't believe anything unless there's real evidence or sound theory behind it.... like gravity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    this 'brainwashing' thing you atheists imagine simply doesn't exist - questioning your faith is actually encouraged (by the Catholic church anyway).
    This has to be the most specious statement I've seen for a long time. Are you trying to claim that religious parents don't bring their children up, pretty well from birth, to believe the same superstitious mumbo-jumbo that they believe themselves? Are you claiming their children do not get sent to the mosque or Sunday school, that they are not encouraged to read the Bible or learn the Koran? Are you claiming that they would be happy to educate their young children in a multiplicity of belief systems and allow them to make their won minds up? I don't think so. Indeed, the RCs forbid it, insisting that the children of a marriage involving an RC are brought up as RCs.

It is well known that children are highly susceptible to indoctrination.

Not for nothing did the Jesuits follow Aristotle's famous statement:

Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man.

At least theists don't believe that things can come from nothing, or that something exists 'just because, like, it does, man', or live lives with total delusions of purpose, like irrational atheists.
    Theists usually believe, for no rational reason, that their god (and only their god) has existed for ever and is immune from their rule that everything must have been created. It is just the other side of the same coin.

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but you should seriously research some philosophy of science. All these findings rely on induction, which Bertrand Russell (that famous atheist) showed to be insufficient for proving anything. Although it can show things to very high probabilities, it cannot be proven. To say science finds truth is a statement of faith.

This is just one of the reasons why science cannot be proved, I listed some of the others in that earlier post
    To support your belief system of which may not be proven by any measurable methods, it is ridiculous to say 'it doesn't matter, everything is unknowable anyway'.
    Some things clearly are true with considerable certainty. Others, not so - not some kind of all of nothing.

ReputationRep:
    *rationally

I think you'll find most religious people are entirely rational, and this 'brainwashing' thing you atheists imagine simply doesn't exist - questioning your faith is actually encouraged (by the Catholic church anyway). At least theists don't believe that things can come from nothing, or that something exists 'just because, like, it does, man', or live lives with total delusions of purpose, like irrational atheists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's socially ingrained and in that sense it may be said to be 'brainwashing'. For instance, every morning at school I sang religious hymns (and I can still remember them relatively well and intrude into my thoughts sometimes). Cognition for the most part are not conscious processes.

If you believe in god then it poses the same issue - a god has to come from nothing. Proposing a god really just appears to try and fill holes in human knowledge - a bit like the gods of thunder, the sea, etc. etc. of antiquity.

I also really dislike the belief that humans are special which religious people seem to hold so close. Religious beliefs simply appear to be a human defence mechanism - not that I blame people for needing reasons for big questions such as the point of life - to which, rationally and bleakly, there is objectively no point in any meaningful sense.

ReputationRep:
    It's not even definitely known that the external world exists! Bertrand Russell maintained that the only thing we can know for definite is that thoughts exist (even more radical than Descartes who thought the only thing we could know for sure is that a 'thinking thing' exists - the famous "I think therefore I am" )

So, yes, we don't even know if the outside world exists for sure. If we can't know this, we certainly can't know anything for certain from either science or religion. Hence both require faith, although, I would agree, different levels of faith. But they both require it nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But why would the external world not exist? (Is it Occams Razor/Law of Parsimony?)
    An individual can say anything may be true - but it is just fanciful without some form of credible rationale.

ReputationRep:
    Being a atheist for me isn't disagreeing a set of moral ideals and philosophies in works such as the bible. But rather me being who I am and not being shackled by old ideals, I find that religion isn't perfect its far from being perfect. The bible for one is a clear example that comes to mind, as it has interesting stories that tell the tail of peoples journey through suffering and hard ship, which is something I deeply admire in people. It is also filled with homophobia and intolerant ideals several pages in, which shouldn't be considered and followed in our modern society rather the bible should be used as philosophy a method to understand and develop world views not a radical form of documentation that people should follow step by step like their lives depend on it.

Ps if you tell a religious person that the universe is infinite, they will disagree as they believe their has to be a start and Finnish to the universe, someone had to set the big bang up, but this is a paradox as their has to be a start, then who created god since under the logic he couldn't have come from nothing.

ReputationRep:
    *rationally

I think you'll find most religious people are entirely rational, and this 'brainwashing' thing you atheists imagine simply doesn't exist - questioning your faith is actually encouraged (by the Catholic church anyway). At least theists don't believe that things can come from nothing, or that something exists 'just because, like, it does, man', or live lives with total delusions of purpose, like irrational atheists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends how you define "most".

I don't use the word "brainwashing", I use the word indoctrination. You cannot deny that in some cases, religion is taught by schools/parents, along with the notion that it is unquestionable, potentially berating or punishing them if they were to do so. Can you please provide an example of where a religion/religious organisation encourages you to ask questions? From what I see, many churches discourage it, as it would draw power away from the church.

At least theists don't believe that things can come from nothing, or that something exists 'just because, like, it does, man', or live lives with total delusions of purpose, like irrational atheists.
    Sounds a bit hypocritical, reading your post. Have you looked into any theories regarding the creation of the universe? The most popular theory, the Big Bang Theory, does not claim that the universe "came from nothing". I can't really respond to "just because, like, it does, man", because it can be applied to ANY argument, in order to downplay that argument. Also, define "total delusions of purpose".

ReputationRep:
    Good lord people have really got the wrong end of the stick on philosophy. Philosophy says we need empiricism to make a case on a proof, apparently though some people think this is not the case. God exists or any religion exists needs a proof, just as science does. Science provides evidence on a preposition. a single celled organism can self replicate relies on that actually happening, and it does. God being a cause for it does not have any proof. God might exist but claiming he does without scientific evidence is not the same as science. He might exist but we're really just prevaricating about existence without philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    Religious texts and beliefs are quite obviously lies and fabrications.

ReputationRep:
    *rationally

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As someone who has had first hand experience of indoctrination, I can tell you, you're incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    Because god is a man-made construct with no basis in reality. The universe is too varied, random and wonderful to have been designed. We form our logic and thinking around the universe:why must the universe have been made with a greater, albeit similar kind of logic we took from it? Makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    My brother had cancer as a baby. How something is willing to let an innocent being go through so much pain is surreal and makes me angry. If he is real, he's an ass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I see no compelling evidence to suggest that there is a deity.
    This. It's no coincidence that religions tend to discourage followers from thinking for themselves and value blind faith over logic and reason. Some theists talks about faith as if it's something to be proud of, if anything I'd say it's the opposite, I don't think there's anything to be proud of in believing in something with no compelling evidence and only books written by people who had no concept of science whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    *rationally

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm guessing you've got atheists and theists mixed up here, cause those statements are far more appropriate to describe theists than atheists :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    As someone who has had first hand experience of indoctrination, I can tell you, you're incorrect.
    Indoctrination in what exactly? I know everything there is to know about a Catholic upbringing, which is the example I cited, so it better be something else.

ReputationRep:
    My reasons very brief: (brace yourself)
    Absolutely no evidence what so ever.

2000 Gods recorded since civilization began and I am supposed to believe someone that their God is the one and only.
    All these "gods" love us as their children yet they have created things from bone cancer in children to parasites which digest the eye from the inside out.

Let's face it, the Christian God is based on the bible, written 2000 years ago by iron age peasants, 30 years after the events actually happened... and why the middle east of all places based in an agricultural background, why not China where a prosperous civilization had been booming for centuries.

We are all atheists in a sense, Christians are atheist about Thor, and Muslims atheist with regards to Thor.....atheists to the idea of a flying teapot orbiting venus.

ReputationRep:
    Indoctrination in what exactly? I know everything there is to know about a Catholic upbringing, which is the example I cited, so it better be something else.
    You didn't specify Catholic upbringing, nobody else did either.

I wasn't raised as a Catholic but I knew someone who was. I think their family was unusually strict and traditional though- as far as the everyday Catholic goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *rationally

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. Guided questioning with pre-assembled answers, fine-tuned over millennia. Not to mention that on the basis of having faith, every argument regarding God is "won" by theists in the eyes of theists, due to their bias. Hence why people often say "I lost my faith" rather than something like "I realized there is no God".
    2. Yes you do. You believe God came from nothing. You believe God just 'is'. I mean God exists just because, like he does, man".
    3. Shows a) your total bias and b) your complete lack of understanding of the topic. It is you theists who believe that you have a purpose in life (through God). You are the ones who are literally deluded that God gave you a purpose. Atheists believe there is no "purpose" in life.

This post is just unbelievable. And a perfect example of why arguing against theists can make you insane.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.