Can bilinguals think in both languages? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdcry)
    yes i can
    What languages can you think in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rambapa)
    But you could make yourself think in Hindi, Urdu and Haryanvi? What age did you learn these languages?
    Yes. Hmm..English, Hindi, and Haryanvi I've learnt like a native, because I've been speaking them all my life but in different places ( Haryanvi at home, English and Hindi at school and just generally talking with people because everyone just knows it lol) and Urdu I've learnt from my friends, it's very similar to Hindi , so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesarcasticone)
    Yes. Hmm..English, Hindi, and Haryanvi I've learnt like a native, because I've been speaking them all my life but in different places ( Haryanvi at home, English and Hindi at school and just generally talking with people because everyone just knows it lol) and Urdu I've learnt from my friends, it's very similar to Hindi , so yeah.
    So do you normally just stick to thinking in English or do you keep switching between your 4 languages? Can you think in any other languages, apart from these 4?

ReputationRep:
    So do you normally just stick to thinking in English or do you keep switching between your 4 languages? Can you think in any other languages, apart from these 4?
    Woah you seem to have a lot of questions haha- just English, unless I'm actually made aware of it, you know? I guess it's because I speak English the most of all. And nah mate, how do you expect me to think in a language I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Woah you seem to have a lot of questions haha- just English, unless I'm actually made aware of it, you know? I guess it's because I speak English the most of all. And nah mate, how do you expect me to think in a language I don't know.
    When you mean "made aware of it", do you mean when you consciously force yourself to think in hindi etc?

ReputationRep:
    When you mean "made aware of it", do you mean when you consciously force yourself to think in hindi etc?
    Yeah, could say that, it doesn't happen much though. If I'm talking to someone entirely in Hindi (bc otherwise I somehow end up mixing it up and talking in English again), then I'm forced to think in Hindi, am I not? That's how.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, could say that, it doesn't happen much though. If I'm talking to someone entirely in Hindi (bc otherwise I somehow end up mixing it up and talking in English again), then I'm forced to think in Hindi, am I not? That's how.
    Can you force yourself to think in hindi when thinking on your own?

ReputationRep:
    Can you force yourself to think in hindi when thinking on your own?
    All right last one- yes, but I usually don't bc English is easier for me.

ReputationRep:
    All right last one- yes, but I usually don't bc English is easier for me.
    So technically that means you think in English, Hindi, Haryani and Urdu?

ReputationRep:
    So technically that means you think in English, Hindi, Haryani and Urdu?
    Yes, my friend, yes. *sigh*

I'm out now

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my friend, yes. *sigh*

I'm out now
    Thanks for your help, sir

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, when I'm speaking English, I think in English. However, if I start speaking French, after a while my 'English filter' will switch off, so I won't be translating the words in my head but simply speaking and listening in French as I would in English, if that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonN1504)
    Thing is, when I'm speaking English, I think in English. However, if I start speaking French, after a while my 'English filter' will switch off, so I won't be translating the words in my head but simply speaking and listening in French as I would in English, if that makes sense...
    When you think on your own, which language do you use?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Queen Elizabeth II (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. ) dreams in German!

Because British royalty isn't British. Long live the Glorious Revolution and English civil war V2.0

ReputationRep:
    English. That's basically my default setting. I do sometimes try to think in French, just to keep fluent, but I do naturally think in English.

ReputationRep:
    My automatic thinking is in English, though I can manually think in other languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    My automatic thinking is in English, though I can manually think in other languages.
    What languages can you think in? What age did you learn these languages?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.