The Student Room Group

Do you actually believe in banning Muslims from entering the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Grrr..... This shouldn't even be up for debate! Of course we shouldn't!How about we judge people on what they do rather than who they worship...
Original post by Shabalala
I wouldn't ban Muslims but what I would do is severely limit the immigration intake from backwards Muslim countries such as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Iran etc... as the culture they lived in is not compatible to British life. Oh and I'm not just talking about terrorism I'm talking about the fact that they live in a country where people get there head cut off in front of a baying crowd, hanged from a crane, have their hands cut off, homosexuals are killed, women have their vaginas cut up, women forced to*cover their face a whole list of things that aren't compatible to Britain.*

Sure not every Muslim believes these things but a large amount do and I don't believe it's a good thing for Britain if we accept vast amounts of people from these countries then we run a big risk of inviting undesirables into our communities. It's not racist to say that not all cultures are equal.

It is racist to make up generalisations of whole countries based on what happens in...one

Oh and FYI, more Christians practise FGM than Muslims do - and guess what? They're all in Africa
I think we need to improve screening processes for at the very least anybody who is thinking of living here

Do they support uk law above their own ideology?
Do they support womens rights? Lgbt?
Do they think it's OK to beat their wives, wage war on unbelievers?
Do they speak good English and have an understanding of life in Britain?
Do they condemn terror?

The current test asks useless questions like "when is st Patrick's day?". Who cares. Find out if the people coming here are civilised, capable, empathetic human beings.

I don't think we should ban Muslim travel and immigration, but I do think we need to be more careful. Germany has shown that opening doors willy nilly attracts less savoury types.

I also cannot stress how importantly I believe that no English = no entry for people who want to live here. I know people who do not speak English yet vote because their husbands tell them to. It's wrong.
Reply 123
Original post by SNK0
FGM, maybe not sure. FGM is mostly caused by the African community.
FGM is an ages old practice that probably originated in Africa. However, it has been taken up by Islam to such an extent that it is mostly perpetrated and perpetuated as an Islamic religious requirement. Even in African countries the practice is far more prevalent in Muslim majority countries, and in those countries with a large Christian population, the practice is far more prevalent in the Muslim population. The majority of mothers and practitioners believe that it is a religious requirement.

However, more telling is its presence in other countries. Outside Africa, it only exists in Islamic countries. The most significant is Indonesia as it is the most populous Muslim country and had no history of FGM until the arrival of Islam in the 13th century. Indonesia's top Islamic body has recommended and approved FGM as a religious obligation and opposed laws to have it outlawed. Over 80% of Indonesian girls suffer some form of FGM.

The scriptural justification is unclear and scholars and apologists cite passages from the Quran and sunnah that support both the for and against camps. The main Islamic schools of thought vary in their position on FGM, from "optional" to "obligatory".

Without the influence of Islamic traditions, FGM would very possibly be a thing of the past.
No way. It seems a bit silly to do something like that. You'd probably just get more angry/upset people.
Reply 125
Original post by The_Internet
Oh and FYI, more Christians practise FGM than Muslims do - and guess what? They're all in Africa
This is simply *******s. It is more prevalent amongst Muslims in Africa than amongst Christians. And then there are all the non-African countries where it is practised - and all of them are Muslim.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_female_genital_mutilation_by_country

And don't say "ooh, but it's Wikipedia". All the data comes from WHO, UNICEF, etc. The links are there for all to check.
Unown Uzer is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United Kingdom, until our country's MPs can figure out what the hell is going on!
Original post by SNK0
Define fanatic...
I mean, despite media... Islam teaches a whole load of peace and co-existence.

A religious fanatic is a person who manipulates the words of their religious scripture and enforce their religious belief(that has no justification and which they 'cherry bit' parts of the religious scripture onto their own personal beliefs) to everyone else which if a person disagrees with their belief they would state that they know best and everyone is wrong.

I know, hun, I'm Muslim myself. Trust, I honestly hate people who manipulate the words of Allah when there are Qur'anic quotes that state if you kill one person, it's like killing the whole of humanity. Smh, I want the real Islam to come back.
As a muslim girl living in England, I personally believe banning Muslims would be a catastrophe.

First of all, it would look bad around the world: western countries like to boast on about how liberal they are and how they support equality, religious freedom and rights for all human beings. Wouldn't then banning a whole religious group totally shun those ideas?

If the UK, or any other country for that matters, furthers a law in banning all Muslims, then my respect for said country would be lost completely.

As many people mentioned before, penalising all Muslims on the actions of few would be a very stupid and unfair move.

I remember when I was in secondary school, I had the unfortunate luck of being placed in the worst class of my school, and we had that reputation because this little group of barely 5 classmates would be complete racuous rebels and ruin the whole day. And the other 17 members in the class (me included) could do nothing about it.

Consequently, we were always not allowed to take part in trips, events, etc... thinking the WHOLE class was bad.

The people from outside don't know the whole story.

Humans have always liked judging others for the worst, so seeing just ONE person doing something bad always causes people to say "Ah, look! Him and his people are all the same!"

There have been many other counts of terrorism made by Christians, but we certainly don't mention them. Hypocrete much?

Muslims are not fanatics. I like to call Muslims simply religious.
And why do people always mention how women are 'forced' into wearing hijabs, 'forced' into marriages, 'forced' to no not work, ...

We are NOT forced. We simply are following our religion and culture, and just like for western cultures it's normal for some girls to wear miniskirts, our type of normal is wearing hijabs and covering ourselves.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the Quran clearly state that women are highly valued and respected. The Quran states that wearing hijab and covering your body is to protect your value and body, not to degrade you.

Islamic countries have one of the lowest rates of rape, molestations and other sexual harassments. That should tell a lot by itself.

Also, very few people know that men as well are supposed to wear hijab. You should know that the term hijab refers to wearing and acting modestly, and for both genders, not only to the female headscarf.

It is supposed to stop you from having brazen and vulgar thoughts about a person of the opposite gender, which you shouldn't have until marriage.

So while women wear headscarfs, also men are supposed to always cover from their naval to their knees, and BOTH genders should wear loose fitted clothes to not show their body shape.

About marriages, there is no such thing as forced marriages, and many people confuse arranged marriages with forced ones.

Yes, we have arranged marriages, where our parents will simply tell us what man would be good for you to marry.

We can decline and say no at any time, but usually we go with it because we respect our parents very much. They're more experienced, and if my father and mother would say that a suitor would be perfect for me, I would trust them.

After you accept a suitor, you then progress to meeting with him to get to know him. This process can take as long as you both want. If you don't like him (his personality sucks, he's not too handsome for your liking XD, etc...) then you can stop at any time.

Then, if you both like each other, you proceed into engaging and marrying.

When we marry, we keep our last name, and we keep whatever we owned before marrying (land, houses, money, etc...)

People think Muslims live in a Neanderthalian society regarding women's rights?

Well, think again:In the western world, the earliest women had the right to have their own possessions when married was in the 1860s.
In our religion, women had this right since Islam was created, so more than 1300 years earlier than that.

"Whatever men earn, they have a share of that and whatever women earn, they have a share in that." [Noble Quran 4:32]

That, my dear people, is our meaning of arranged marriage.

Women CAN work, nowhere in the Quran it says that women can't. Actually, many women are encouraged to work because there will always be a need of female teachers, doctors, nurses, etc... as it's preferable for you not to mingle with the same gender.

Also, one thing Islamic countries made very clear before any other culture/religion, was the right of the woman being equal to men, and so, they will receive equal pay (and I know there's been issues about gender equal pay in western countries).

Women have been equal to men since the making of time. Before any other religion, women were free to participate in politics, something that western countries have shunned upon until quite very modern times.

I quote "During the rein of 'Umar, women participated in law making.
'Umar made a proposal of a certain regulation concerning marriage.
A woman in the mosque stood up and said, "'Umar, you can't do that."
'Umar did not tell her, "Shut up, you are a woman, you have nothing to do with politics, etc." He asked, "Why?"
She made her argument on the basis of Quran.
In front of everybody, he stood up and said, "The woman is right and 'Umar is wrong," and he withdrew his proposal.

That was the spirit in the early days of Islam.
In the most authentic collection of Hadith, Hadith Bukhari, a section is devoted to the participation of women, not only in public affairs, but in the battlefield, too, and not only as logistical support.
Women carried arms, and when there was great danger to the Muslims, they volunteered to participate even in the battlefield."

This happened hundreds and hundreds of years ago. What better culture allowed women such freedom and rights?

People think women cannot work because a lot of them are not employed. That is true, but they're not unemployed because they're forced to be.

Family life is VERY important and sacred for muslims, with the belief that children are a gift of Allah and the more you have, more happiness and blessings are upon you.

Pregnant women and mothers are greatly valued, as said by the prophet himself, where Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Paradise is at the feet of mothers."

Once a man came to him and asked, "O, Messenger, who among mankind is worthy of my kindness and love?"
The Prophet answered, "Your mother."
"Who next?"
"Your mother."
"Who next?"
"Your mother."
Only after the third time he said, "And your father."

Muslim believe in a tight family, therefore children should always have their mother to be nortured and be guided in the early years of their lives.

So while the mother is busy with the children, to the father is left the job to bring home the bread.

I'm sorry if you westerners are offended by the majority of women preferring to stay with her children and family at home instead of stressing her life out working 12 hours a day under a boss that shouts at you for the smallest mistake.

If you hear a bad thing about Muslims, than please think of that as an independent case.

In Islam all human beings are equal, and everyone is respected the same.

About polygamy, Islam is actually the only religion that had restrictions about how many wives a man can have from the beginning.
Every other religion (Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc) had nothing against it, and so in the past men had freely many wives.

Only after a long time from when those religions were made laws were put against polygamy.

And I repeat, Islam had restrictions against it from the beginning. It says it's acceptable only in extreme circumstances (for example, if a war happens and many married men were killed, their wives and children would be left alone) and if the man can treat each of his wives equally.

Polygamy is more rare than some westerners think, and I still have to meet a man that has more than one wife.

Islam absolutely does not degrade women. If you actually research about it, Christianity and some other religions were (and sometimes still are) even worse than Islam in degrading women.

Some types of Christians (Quakers, some Catholic groups, some Orthodox) actually degrade women worse than Islam has ever done.

The Quran has been known to be one of the most insightful and true sacred books out there. It has been edited to the absolute minimum since it has been written, while other books (the Bible especially) has been known to have been edited heavily through time to accomodate their wants.

And to those people that think the ban on pork is stupid, you should know that pork was banned on the Torah and Bible (Leviticus) originally as well.

In my community, ISIS, the Talibans, and any other terroristic groups are strongly not accepted and we clearly shun them from Islam because they're going against the teachings of Allah and Muhammad (pbuh).

They say they're Muslim?Well, they're NOT.

It's not hard to say something.

They could also have said "We're Buddhists", "We're Christians" or any other religion that exists.

That doesn't mean the rest of that religious group follows.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bravefoot

We are NOT forced. We simply are following our religion and culture, and just like for western cultures it's normal for some girls to wear miniskirts, our type of normal is wearing hijabs and covering ourselves.

I just want to point out that in Iran, an islamic country, you are actually forced to wear a headscarf and cover up :s-smilie:
Original post by Faloodeh
I just want to point out that in Iran, an islamic country, you are actually forced to wear a headscarf and cover up :s-smilie:

Thanks for your point.

Yes, and I'm sure in many other countries there's all kind of oppression. But that is the sad example on how some people very wrongly took the words from the sacred books too literally.

I want to stress that true Muslims have nothing to do with 'forcing'. Myself, I have never been forced in my life, and all my muslim friends as well have very happy lives.

It's sad really, how some people would hide their actions behind religion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Students and holidays - Let them come.

Muslims coming for citizenship or asylum - Turn them away.

Generally speaking i don't see any advantage to the nation in importing more of them. They are both an ethnic and cultural threat.
Original post by Rakas21
Muslims coming for citizenship or asylum - Turn them away.

It's sad to see people say stuff like that. Muslims (or anyone really) that come for citizenship and asylum don't just come to the UK for the sake of it or to bring mayhem to the society.

Those that come for citizenship? They're coming because the employment prospects back at home are awful, and the Government is not as good at dealing and helping the unemployed.

Those that come for asylum? They're coming because their family members have been killed, and their lives as well would be in danger if they stayed back.

They're coming because they have no more money, not a roof over their head and no more food. They're coming because they're starving so much, some have resulted in eating grass.

They're coming because they want a better life for themselves and for their family.

They're coming because they want to live.

Put yourself in their shoes: what would you do if you saw your mom being shot in front of you?
What would you do if you saw your city, your home being destroyed and bombed overnight?

Would you make the hard decision of escaping and travel thousands of miles with barely enough money to eat for the journey you've been saving your whole life?

Or would you stay and most likely be shot/killed?

There's not many options.
They have no choice.

Sometimes it's easy for westerners to say "Oh, they're ruining our country by coming here!" Or "The NHS is going to die if more come in!"

You think not having free health care is bad?

Well, think about the fact many countries don't have health care at all.

Certainly, where I come from, everything has to be paid, from health to education. A simple ten minutes consultation with the family doctor was nearly €40, and every year my parents had to pay around €500 on school text books ALONE, then add all the other materials for the rest of the year. Then add that I have a sister. That means around €2000 spent on school only.

In the UK you guys are very lucky, you have free health care, education and benefits for those unemployed.

This privileges though, in my opinion, have made UK residents very dependent, lazy and cranky if anything about them changes.

They start complaining about the minor issues on the NHS when really everyone should complain how thousands of people worldwide still die from diseases that can be cured with a £2 vaccine.

Some people may call this a sob story, but I call it realism, and people should wake themselves.

Shelfishness and congregation will not help anybody.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 133
There have been many other counts of terrorism made by Christians, but we certainly don't mention them. Hypocrete much?
I can't think of many where the motivation and justification was based on Christian ideology, with direct quotes from the Bible used to support their actions, and certainly not in recent years.
Feel free to elighten me though.

Muslims are not fanatics.
Some are, some aren't.
Ironically, you have just committed the error of generalising that you were just berating others for!

And why do people always mention how women are 'forced' into wearing hijabs, 'forced' into marriages, 'forced' to no not work, ...
People don't "always mention these things". The only one that comes up regularly is the issue of the hijab (or to be more accurate, the niqab/burqa).

*sigh* If you cannot see the difference between:
A) being told that a god (who you believe determines your ultimate fate) wants you to do something, and
B) someone deciding to wear a mini skirt instead of jeans on a particular day
then it is little wonder that you have trouble with the rest of it.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the Quran clearly state that women are highly valued and respected.
They also state that women deserve less than men, are of inferior intellect, and may be beaten by their husbands (under certain conditions).
Tricky, eh?

The Quran states that wearing hijab and covering your body is to protect your value and body, not to degrade you.
Protect your "value"? Why didn't you just go the whole hog (sorry) and use the "wrapped candy" analogy? *smh*

Islamic countries have one of the lowest rates of rape, molestations and other sexual harassments. That should tell a lot by itself.
No they don't. Some of them have low rates of reporting of sexual offences. This is because (due to the nature of sharia in regards to such offences) the woman can end up being punished herself for making the accusation. There have been well-publicised cases recently of women being sentenced to flogging and prison becausethey accused someone of rape but could not provide the required level of "evidence".

Also, very few people know that men as well are supposed to wear hijab. You should know that the term hijab refers to wearing and acting modestly, and for both genders, not only to the female headscarf.
As you are so well informed, you will know that the man's awrah is from the navel to the knees. Why must a man only wear shorts while a woman must cover from head to toe?

It is supposed to stop you from having brazen and vulgar thoughts about a person of the opposite gender, which you shouldn't have until marriage.
Whenever I see a women in a hijab/burqa/niqab I make a point of having brazen and vulgar thoughts about her. I naturally do not have such thoughts about the vast majority of "immodest" mom-Muslimahs I see.
It is frankly ludicrous that you think men have "brazen and vulgar thoughts" about women all the time. Perhaps it is just Muslim men?

Also, if this is the case, why do we see little hirls wearing the hijab? Is it to stop these Muslim men from having "brazen and vulgar thoughts" about them? I find that rather disturbing.

So while women wear headscarfs, also men are supposed to always cover from their naval to their knees, and BOTH genders should wear loose fitted clothes to not show their body shape.
Ah, there we go. So if hair is so lust-inflaming, why don't men have to cover theirs? Don't women get brazen and lustful thoughts on seeing a man's head? Or it it just the bit between the navel and the knees that gives them a wide-on?

Well, think again:In the western world, the earliest women had the right to have their own possessions when married was in the 1860s.
In our religion, women had this right since Islam was created, so more than 1300 years earlier than that.
Women had the right to own property, earn money and inherit wealth in Arabia before Islam. See Khadeja as an example (she was Muhammad's first wife BTW)

In Islam all human beings are equal, and everyone is respected the same.
"For the worst of beasts in the sight of Allah are those who reject Him: They will not believe." - Quran 8:55

And due to the wives is similar to what is expected of them, according to what is reasonable. But the men have a degree over them [in responsibility and authority]. - 2:228

abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess - 23:6 (Allah is talking about sex slaves here!)

Some types of Christians (Quakers, some Catholic groups, some Orthodox) actually degrade women worse than Islam has ever done.
Whataboutery.
Just because someone else does something bad, that doesn't make your bad thing any less bad.
When people resort to this argument, they know that they are guilty of the accusation and they are just trying to deflect.

The Quran has been known to be one of the most insightful and true sacred books out there.
The Quran contains as much violence, intolerance and discrimination as it does anything worthwhile.

It has been edited to the absolute minimum since it has been written, while other books (the Bible especially) has been known to have been edited heavily through time to accomodate their wants.
Which is why Islam faces such problems when it comes up against modern, civilised society. I fail to see why the refusal to adapt, amend and modernise is something to be proud of.

And to those people that think the ban on pork is stupid, you should know that pork was banned on the Torah and Bible (Leviticus) originally as well.
More whataboutery.
There were probably practical reasons in the original prohibition, but modern farming and food practices make such a prohibition pointless and unnecessary. Did you know that many times more people get ill or die from eating poultry than from eating pork?

In my community, ISIS, the Talibans, and any other terroristic groups are strongly not accepted and we clearly shun them from Islam because they're going against the teachings of Allah and Muhammad (pbuh).
Which teachings are ISIS going against? Specifically? Because they always seem to accompany their actions with lengthy statements containing references from the Quran and sunnah.

They say they're Muslim?Well, they're NOT.
Wow! Calling takfir of fellow Muslims. You do know that Allah's penalty for doing that improperly is to have the takfir rebound onto you?

It's not hard to say something.
They could also have said "We're Buddhists", "We're Christians" or any other religion that exists.
That doesn't mean the rest of that religious group follows.
Well, if the have sincerely taken the shahadah and follow the five pillars, then they are Muslims. Just because they follow a different interpretation of Islam to you does not affect that. You are aware, of course, that they would probably call you a "not Muslim"?

Are you deliberately trying to deceive people or are you just ignorant? No Western women before the 1860s owned property and titles in their own right? So women like Elizabeth I, Isabella I of Castile, Joanna of Castile, Katherine de la Pole, Margaret Beaufort, Margaret Pole, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Empress Matilda, Fritigil, Boudicca and Hilda of Whitby didn't exist then, to name but a tiny few?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by biglad2k16
Yes, there have been so many Islamic terror atatcks recently and we can't possibly believe that letting in more Muslims is going to prevent Isalmic terrorism. Muslims are great people overall but we do need to do something about Islamic terrorism.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, though. That's what people tend to forget about. "Oh, a Muslim's attacked people in London. They must all do that." It's stupid. The terrorists to whom you refer are either on drugs, smoke, are drunk or make daft claims about doing it for their god. If it's like that then you could say that everyone who believes in a god or gods is a terrorist. Think about it.
Reply 136
Original post by Lord Samosa
How big is your fedora?
****ing massive! Needs to be to fit on my ****ing massive head.

PS. Glad you agree with my points.
Original post by Mvine001
Not all Muslims are terrorists, though. That's what people tend to forget about. "Oh, a Muslim's attacked people in London. They must all do that." It's stupid. The terrorists to whom you refer are either on drugs, smoke, are drunk or make daft claims about doing it for their god. If it's like that then you could say that everyone who believes in a god or gods is a terrorist. Think about it.

Both statements are true:

Not all Muslim's are terrorists.

The overwhelming majority of terrorists are Muslim.
No, because it's infeasible.

If the question was, would the UK be better off without any Muslims in it, i.e. a hypothetical, then the answer would be yes. Culture wise for sure, and even if it's just a small proportion, security wise, too.
Yes we can and will

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending