Turn on thread page Beta

What is the fastest growing religion in the world? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The religion of Zapstaism just increased by an infinite percentage to 1 member! :eek: I think we have a winner...

ReputationRep:
    The verse you mention has been greatly misconceived by many people who focus merely on its surface meaning, taking it to allow wife beating. When the setting is not taken into account, it isolates the words in a way that distorts or falsifies the original meaning. Before dealing with the issue of wife-battering in the perspective of Islam, we should keep in mind that the original Arabic wording of the Qur'an is the only authentic source of meaning. If one relies on the translation alone, one is likely to misunderstand it.

Commenting on this issue, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

"According to the Qur'an the relationship between the husband and wife should be based on mutual love and kindness. Allah says: "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect." (Ar-Rum: 21)

The Qur'an urges husbands to treat their wives with kindness. [In the event of a family dispute, the Qur'an exhorts the husband to treat his wife kindly and not to overlook her positive aspects]. Allah Almighty says: “Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.” (An-Nisa’: 19)
    taken from the highest authority of islamic scholars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    The religion of Zapstaism just increased by an infinite percentage to 1 member! :eek: I think we have a winner...
    hmmm i hate all other religions so if urs is good u may have another member and then it will definately win! wot duz Zaptaism involve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=qur...f&start=0&sa=N

Which version are you using? I think it would be a bit difficult for me to make something up which is referenced about 3000 times on google.

first 10 sites on that are blockeed here " for promoting cultural and religious propaganda that will hurt the feelings of individuals "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    hmmm i hate all other religions so if urs is good u may have another member and then it will definately win! wot duz Zaptaism involve?
    But if you joined the growth rate would go down to 100%, therefore it wouldn't win. Sorry .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    be it man or woman; each of you is equal to the other ...

how can u not call tht a quote stressing the importance of equality in the sexes ??? are u really tht blind ... ive been debating professionally for 3 years ... at least put up a valid argument
    It's not obvious.

(Pronunciation Key)e·qual Listen: [ kwl ]
    adj.

Having the same quantity, measure, or value as another.

Mathematics Being the same or identical to in value.

a. Having the same privileges, status, or rights: equal before the law. b. Being the same for all members of a group: gave every player an equal chance to win.

a. Having the requisite qualities, such as strength or ability, for a task or situation: "Elizabeth found herself quite equal to the scene" (Jane Austen). b. Adequate in extent, amount, or degree.

Impartial; just; equitable.

Tranquil; equable.

Showing or having no variance in proportion, structure, or appearance.

____

So the question is, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING IS EQUAL TO WHAT?

ReputationRep:
    But if you joined the growth rate would go down to 100%, therefore it wouldn't win. Sorry .
    i sooo dnt get that (blonde AND SLOW) . ah wel i guess i shall have to carry on despising all religion then... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not obvious.

(Pronunciation Key)e·qual Listen: [ kwl ]
    adj.

Having the same quantity, measure, or value as another.

Mathematics Being the same or identical to in value.

a. Having the same privileges, status, or rights: equal before the law. b. Being the same for all members of a group: gave every player an equal chance to win.

a. Having the requisite qualities, such as strength or ability, for a task or situation: "Elizabeth found herself quite equal to the scene" (Jane Austen). b. Adequate in extent, amount, or degree.

Impartial; just; equitable.

Tranquil; equable.

Showing or having no variance in proportion, structure, or appearance.

____

So the question is, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING IS EQUAL TO WHAT?
    lemme make it easy for u .... man is EQUAL to woman .... simple enuff ? its hard when ppl cant understand a one line quote

ReputationRep:
    taken from the highest authority of islamic scholars
    So now you acknowledge the surah exists. Can you explain how through just one translation, "admonish them" "beat them" "scourge them" managed to appear? And if it doesn't explicitly call for beating, what is it instructing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    i sooo dnt get that (blonde AND SLOW) . ah wel i guess i shall have to carry on despising all religion then... :rolleyes:
    Don't worry. It probably doesn't even make sense .

ReputationRep:
    However, in some cases a husband may use some light disciplinary action in order to correct the moral infraction of his wife, and so can a woman hit her husband , but this is only applicable in extreme cases and it should be resorted to if one is sure it would improve the situation. However, if there is a fear that it might worsen the relationship or may wreak havoc on him or the family, then he should avoid it completely.
    again from the same earlier source

ReputationRep:
    So now you acknowledge the surah exists. Can you explain how through just one translation, "admonish them" "beat them" "scourge them" managed to appear? And if it doesn't explicitly call for beating, what is it instructing?
    do u know wat a surah is ? ... its a chapter from the quran ... each chapter has its own name ... off course they exist ..

wat u mean is the sunnat ... thts the way of the propeht .... and tht too should be viewd very carefully ... there are millions of books ... only one of em is respected ... its called " al-hadis" .... and tht too is not a 100 % accurate bcoz it is written by close companions of the prophet and their desendants and its source is mostly " word of mouth "

ReputationRep:
    lemme make it easy for u .... man is EQUAL to woman .... simple enuff ? its hard when ppl cant understand a one line quote
    Cucumber = Flatulence

You see? Sometimes, saying something is equal to something else doesn't make sense, you have to say what property of that something is equal to what property of that other something. "The grossness of a cucumber is equal to the grossness of flatulence."

So what the hell are you saying when man = woman? I can think of one very significant way in which a man is not equal to a woman.

ReputationRep:
    do u know wat a surah is ? ... its a chapter from the quran ... each chapter has its own name ... off course they exist ..
    before you implied 4:34 didn't exist, now you're acknowledging it exists by arguing the translation.
    wat u mean is the sunnat ... thts the way of the propeht .... and tht too should be viewd very carefully ... there are millions of books ... only one of em is respected ... its called " al-hadis" .... and tht too is not a 100 % accurate bcoz it is written by close companions of the prophet and their desendants and its source is mostly " word of mouth "
    No I am not referring to anything outside of the quran.

ReputationRep:
    Cucumber = Flatulence

You see? Sometimes, saying something is equal to something else doesn't make sense, you have to say what property of that something is equal to what property of that other something. "The grossness of a cucumber is equal to the grossness of flatulence."

So what the hell are you saying when man = woman? I can think of one very significant way in which a man is not equal to a woman.
    how do u compare two different individuals ? .... one has breasts the other doesnt ?? NO !! .... they are viewed equally in gods sight , and they should be given Equal RESPECT ..... use ur head ....

ReputationRep:
    before you implied 4:34 didn't exist, now you're acknowledging it exists by arguing the translation.

use proper terminolgy ... a verse is a line ... more specifically its called an AYAT . A surah is a collection of ayat's . The quran is a collection of surahs

ReputationRep:
    how do u compare two different individuals ? .... one has breasts the other doesnt ?? NO !! .... they are viewed equally in gods sight , and they should be given Equal RESPECT ..... use ur head ....
    But this isn't what the passage says. It merely says that man is equal to woman. But okay I'll assume it means they should be given equal respect, is it not then a contradiction to say that men can beat women?

ReputationRep:
    But this isn't what the passage says. It merely says that man is equal to woman. But okay I'll assume it means they should be given equal respect, is it not then a contradiction to say that men can beat women?
    its a lose translation ... read my post above .... it says man or women can use light disciplinary action in extreme cases

ReputationRep:
    use proper terminolgy ... a verse is a line ... more specifically its called an AYAT . A surah is a collection of ayat's . The quran is a collection of surahs
    Okay, I'll try, now can you explain how through just one translation, 6 different scholars managed to introduce "admonish them" "beat them" "scourge them"? And can you explain why the final scholar, the one with the most favourable translation for your argument is accused of inserting words which shouldn't be there?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be rude but...what kind of stupid pleb would place their faith in (and, seemingly, pledge all their worldly belongings to) yourself?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.