Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stunting101)
    ahh good good.. i have not got time so i think it would be poiintlles to stress about it! just hope i a decent q comes up tho..maybe along the lines of .. 'why do hazard impacts vary spatially?' ahha wud be great... x

the only problem is that 1 MHZ qu came up before so theres still more they can ask so if it comes up (which i really hopes it doesnt) you'll be made to do the other qu... just get a bit of info about them just in case...

theres been a qu about hazard impacts varying spatially but if worded differently could still come up...that would be such a good question!!

ReputationRep:
    yeh..could they ask why environmental impacts vary spatially? or is that too specific...i hope not..would be screwed if they did!

ReputationRep:
    yeh..could they ask why environmental impacts vary spatially? or is that too specific...i hope not..would be screwed if they did!

I hope not...if they do...im walking out lol

ReputationRep:
    I am screwed for this exam

haven't started to learn case studies yet as i have so much to understand and learn for biology on friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tvqueen1905)

haven't started to learn case studies yet as i have so much to understand and learn for biology on friday

dont worry sure youll do fine just start learning now!!!! basic ideas of what happens you can bring in to each case study

i have to take this exam on thurs morning as i have a clash so trying to revise for a synoptic paper and this one!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natr1107)
    dont worry sure youll do fine just start learning now!!!! basic ideas of what happens you can bring in to each case study

i have to take this exam on thurs morning as i have a clash so trying to revise for a synoptic paper and this one!!
    it may be thursday morning by the time i get chance to

just depends if i can get bio sorted tomorrow which i doubt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natr1107)
    I hope not...if they do...im walking out lol
    lol! yehh....me too... thatt would suckkk!

im just going to keep it simple and not get too wrapped up ....if u do cud run the risk of spending too much time on one or 2 case stuides without much explanation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tvqueen1905)

i feel your pain! seriously rushing through nat haz stuff because of bio on fri.. the 13th booo

how many MHZ case studies do people have?
    ive got mexico, phillipines, LA and now new zealand? eeek reckon thats enough? god i hope i remember these things on thurs!!

ReputationRep:
    After looking at several examiners reports one of the things I've picked up is the MEDC/LEDC structure which people adopt - only use it if necessary. Apparently it can be seen as 'simplistic' if the question does not directly relate to MEDC/LEDC i.e. I think we'd be better of structuring by impacts? environmental/economic/social etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazza07)
    After looking at several examiners reports one of the things I've picked up is the MEDC/LEDC structure which people adopt - only use it if necessary. Apparently it can be seen as 'simplistic' if the question does not directly relate to MEDC/LEDC i.e. I think we'd be better of structuring by impacts? environmental/economic/social etc..
    can anyone help me out here...

i could do with a list of possible impacts (economic ones..... social ones... and environmental ones...) I know that they will be different for each case study, but i really could do with getting some in my head.

thanks a lot !

ReputationRep:
    I've just started revising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexthornton)
    If anyone could give me a good explanation on the diagrams, and where you would use them in the essay? The two diagrams you have done Sparkles, are very useful! But i dont get where they would fit in to the essay?

Our class were never taught these models at all!
    I understand them but could someone please explain how will they be useful for this generalisation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethy1987)
    i feel your pain! seriously rushing through nat haz stuff because of bio on fri.. the 13th booo

how many MHZ case studies do people have?
    ive got mexico, phillipines, LA and now new zealand? eeek reckon thats enough? god i hope i remember these things on thurs!!

Costa Rica is a good one,
    - The country is at the margin of FIVE tectonic plates exposing it to volcanic activity and earthquakes.
    - Climate has distinct wet and dry seasons resulting in extreme flooding and drought
    - Between May and October it suffers Hurricanes resulting in storm surges, made more significant in recent years due to localised mass deforestation.
    - Landslides are common where degradation of land by human activities ie. unplanned settlements has weakened it against natural processes.

Economic Vulnerability
    - Costa Rica have negative GNP and around 30% of the population live in poverty.
    - Homes are structurally poor and offer little or no protection against tectonic activity and flooding.
    - Limited use of hazard prediction and no widespread way of communicating warnings to the population.

Social
    - Differing hazard perception between classes
    - Education about hazards is poor; a majority of people believe the hazards are 'an act of God' and therefore out of their control.

ReputationRep:
    hey all good luck tomorrow im really scared!!!
    ive found this table of case studies MEDC/LEDC's and impacts!
    hope its usefull to all of you! its usefull to me!

good luck!

Josh
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc HAZARD CASE STUDIESJosh.doc (45.0 KB, 785 views)

ReputationRep:
    hi, know this might be a bit late in posting but i used this for my jan exam on hazards. even though its about responses to hazards i think it might have some overlap with the spatial variations generalisation. hope it helps, even its just for a couple of case studies.
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdf GEOGRAPHY HAZARDS PACK.pdf (594.8 KB, 1001 views)

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone would hate that question. But I think theres been one where it says why environmental OR economic impacts vary spatially.
    So clearly everyone in the country would probably pick the economic bit =D
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi People, im really nervous about this exam....i sat this exam in january and got a D, which is really bad for me....so i decided to resit the hazard paper agian this june, we got told the generlisation, but our teacher hasnt done any revision lessons on it....HELP!!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with the models?

I have seen people mention dreggs, parks, etc but cannot find any info on them!

Could someone explain/draw me one? :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    there is information on all the models throughout this thread, see previous pages and attachments for diagrams etc of the models.

ReputationRep:
    Shall we all walk out?
    That'll show the stupid exam board for picking possibly THE worst generalisation... EVER!
    I mean, spatial variations of hazards?
    "Why do hazards' impacts vary spatially?"
    Well... Cus they do!
    Grr.
    Anyone else cranky from trying to revise and failing?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.