Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayers)
    I know. That would be my best bet but I don't think I will be able to pull that. But thanks for you help and good luck at KCL.
    You're welcome and thanks. If you quiz some of the students on here and search previous threads on TSR you can find your answers. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliciaJ703)
    You're welcome and thanks. If you quiz some of the students on here and search previous threads on TSR you can find your answers. :yep:
    Great!! Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariahb)
    Hello! I'm an American (currently living in southern California). I'm moving to the UK in September to do a master's program in English Lit at Queen Mary, University of London. I'm so excited/scared!
    I saw your post and realised you were from Southern California, just really wanna know what its like there?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! New to TSR and found this thread so I figured I'd pop in. I'm from Arizona and currently residing in Northern Ireland with hopes to attend Queen's University Belfast for nursing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Leviathan)
    Gaylei, a lot of the other Americans I talk to think that England is pretty great.

I'm from Connecticut. I applied to Brandeis (in Massachusetts) early decision. If I had been accepted I would have been obligated to go to Brandeis because I signed a contract. I got deferred (that is, not rejected, but put into the regular decision application pool). I didn't really like any other universities in the US that I had visited.

I worked for an historian from my area who got a job at Queens University Belfast and she encouraged me to apply to schools in the UK and Ireland. I honestly can't remember where I applied to in ROI, but I applied to Bristol, Durham, Queens, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Nottingham. Nottingham was the only university that actually reached out and sent a personalized email telling me I got an offer. The other universities gave offers, but they weren't appealing. They didn't reach out to applicants, which was a big thing for me. I hadn't even visited UK when I decided that Nottingham was where I was going to go. Everywhere I applied had a pretty good history department, so I basically just picked Nottingham based on the fact that it was in England as opposed to Northern Ireland or Scotland, the email they sent out to me, the fact that Nottingham gave me my first offer, and a bunch of random crap like that.

I like England a lot. I miss the US tons, though. I'm returning back for the summer at the end of this month and then I'm coming back to England in the middle of September. This September I'll be starting my second year here. I really like how I only have to take history classes, as opposed to a wider curriculum. I feel that my American high school education, however, really prepared me for university.

And... Um.... that's that.

REALLY!

what part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
    Miami isn't that cool. :p:
    :p: yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlefrax)
    Hi all! New to TSR and found this thread so I figured I'd pop in. I'm from Arizona and currently residing in Northern Ireland with hopes to attend Queen's University Belfast for nursing.
    :hello:

WELCOME

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American, studying around the same place I've been born or raised.

I just like to read these boards, though. They're very interesting, and I like getting people's opinions, even if they are contrary to my own.

ReputationRep:
    I'm newish so this seems a good place to say hello! I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA, did my undergrad work at UGA and start on my Masters in Producing with Royal Holloway in September. My courses will all be taught in central London so I'll be moving somewhere centrally come this fall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kat!)
    I'm newish so this seems a good place to say hello! I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA, did my undergrad work at UGA and start on my Masters in Producing with Royal Holloway in September. My courses will all be taught in central London so I'll be moving somewhere centrally come this fall!
    Hello!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome New Members :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilongo)
    REALLY!

what part?
    I also reside in CT. I'm pretty close to Stamford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintSaens)
    I also reside in CT. I'm pretty close to Stamford.
    What's up? I'll see you at the mall :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilongo)
    What's up? I'll see you at the mall :yes:
    Small world, I used to live on Strawberry Hill Avenue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Small world, I used to live on Strawberry Hill Avenue

GTFO!!!! :woo: :eek3:

My cousin used to go to Stamford High over there, near the Dunckin donuts right and the Hospital lmao right?

Stamford is o'd popular, they've been making movies there. It's the hotspot for corporate headquarters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaylei)
    I was just wondering how many americans are on here?

If you are an american on here, whats your story? Are you in england, america, some where else, at uni or college or school or something else all together?
    Greetings/salutations.
    I'm currently at Simon's Rock, a microscopic liberal arts college nestled in the woods of Massachusetts--I'll be applying to UK universities next year, probably as a first-year (as I started college two years early). Studying nat sci/biology with a dual concentration in molecular bio/biochem and marine science, and applying to Cambridge, St Andrews, UCL, Imperial, and either York or Edinburgh. :p:

Does anyone know what the lab situation is like at any of these unis? My college is wonderful but barely has a functional thermocycler and the centrifuge is never calibrated. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I second the small world comments. I don't attend Stamford High, but I go there pretty frequently for youth orchestra rehearsals. My brother's also a UCONN Stamford alumnus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayers)
    I am falling in love with York's Human rights program and I think I may accept my offer there. But I'm hesitant after reading threads about the racism in the North England York area (shocking because York is a highly acclaimed city) but I wanted to get some insight.

My apologies for my randomness.
    Where did you hear that there is a lot of racism in York? Trust me it really isn't, there are some areas of Yorkshire that have bad reputations but not the city of York itself. If you like University then don't let those threads put you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintSaens)
    I second the small world comments. I don't attend Stamford High, but I go there pretty frequently for youth orchestra rehearsals. My brother's also a UCONN Stamford alumnus.
    lol
    You currently live in NY, and go to Stamford for rehearsals?
    Lets just say that people from this part of CT is bigger than people think.

ReputationRep:
    The suburb I live in is in Connecticut.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.