I want to get a dog, advise me on which breed. (Please.) Watch

nuttygirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
No, I'm pretty much not trolling. The only things which I've said which could be construed as ridiculous would be not taking my dog out for four hour walks. I think that's quite reasonable. I don't get that much time a day for me to waste four hours walking a dog around. I don't think I'd find it too pleasurable.

I love the Akita though. I want one of those.
You're scared of dogs, you think they're dirty, you refuse to go to a rescue centre and you only want one to look aggressive. You want a big dog even though you have no experience of them. Sure you're serious?
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, I'm pretty much not trolling. The only things which I've said which could be construed as ridiculous would be not taking my dog out for four hour walks. I think that's quite reasonable. I don't get that much time a day for me to waste four hours walking a dog around. I don't think I'd find it too pleasurable.

They only live for around 6 years. Not long at all. See we're back to the pedigree thing again haha.
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

:|. Theres other stuff i found ridiculous too, but i cant be bothered to quote it. it doesn't need to be four hours - i walk my dogs for an hour in the morning & a hour in the evening - sometimes longer & sometimes a bit less, but i think thats the very least amount thats reasonable.

if you do decide to get an akita, at least get a rescue one http://www.akitarescue.org.uk/, but i still dont think you should. They may look cool & fluffy but they're still large dogs which need proper training & routine.
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nuttygirl)
You're scared of dogs, you think they're dirty, you refuse to go to a rescue centre and you only want one to look aggressive. You want a big dog even though you have no experience of them. Sure you're serious?
Yeah I'm getting a tad worried myself..
bansheeee*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think you deserve a dog to be honest.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm not scared of my own dogs, I do think they're dirty (They are.) I didn't say I wouldn't go to a rescue center, I'd just like a puppy who hasn't been 'rescued' as it were, it just doesn't feel right to me. I don't want it to be ONLY aggressive. I intrinsically require one as a watch dog, hence I need it to look aggressive. Would a chihuahua succeed in stopping a robber or a mugger? I don't think so.

I don't have any experience, but so do many other first timers. There's always a first, no? What do you suggest I do? Suck my thumb and hope it all comes back to me from a past life? Eat the blue pill and get Morpheus to download Dog training in 5 seconds to my brain? What?
Pseudomuse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The woofy kind? :p:
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not scared of my own dogs, I do think they're dirty (They are.) I didn't say I wouldn't go to a rescue center, I'd just like a puppy who hasn't been 'rescued' as it were, it just doesn't feel right to me. I don't want it to be ONLY aggressive. I intrinsically require one as a watch dog, hence I need it to look aggressive. Would a chihuahua succeed in stopping a robber or a mugger? I don't think so.

I don't have any experience, but so do many other first timers. There's always a first, no? What do you suggest I do? Suck my thumb and hope it all comes back to me from a past life? Eat the blue pill and get Morpheus to download Dog training in 5 seconds to my brain? What?
Take advice from people at rescue centres who actually know what they're talking about and can advise you?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Take advice from people at rescue centres who actually know what they're talking about and can advise you?
But can't I get equally good advice here? Going to a rescue home seems like a long process and I prefer responses from people who actually own and have taken care of the dogs they refer to, as most people from here have done.
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But can't I get equally good advice here? Going to a rescue home seems like a long process and I prefer responses from people who actually own and have taken care of the dogs they refer to, as most people from here have done.
Yes, but don't you think people who's job it is to look after dogs and who also own and take care of them would be able to give you better advice because they could talk to you in person??
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Yes, but don't you think people who's job it is to look after dogs and who also own and take care of them would be able to give you better advice because they could talk to you in person??
As I said it sounds like a long process? I'd rather just choose a dog and have a conversation with the 'guy' along the lines of, 'Hello, I'd like <this>', 'Okay here you go', 'Thanks', 'Your welcome', 'Bye', 'Bye'.
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As I said it sounds like a long process? I'd rather just choose a dog and have a conversation with the 'guy' along the lines of, 'Hello, I'd like <this>', 'Okay here you go', 'Thanks', 'Your welcome', 'Bye', 'Bye'.
Yeah, but don't you want to know specific things you can do to care for your dog?
-Sofi-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cattleman)
Aggressive but obedient makes me think Doberman or Alsatian.
Doberman? Aggressive?!? Have you actually ever been in contact with a doberman?!!? I've got one and he is the softest dog ever! My terrier is more aggressive than him!

So in answer to the question, I reckon the best aggressive but loyal breed to get would be a type of terrier! Because they are so small it makes them feel the need to "act bigger" and defend you. Definitely get a mongrel though :p:
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Sofi-)
Doberman? Aggressive?!? Have you actually ever been in contact with a doberman?!!? I've got one and he is the softest dog ever! My terrier is more aggressive than him!

So in answer to the question, I reckon the best aggressive but loyal breed to get would be a type of terrier! Because they are so small it makes them feel the need to "act bigger" and defend you. Definitely get a mongrel though :p:
I particularly don't like the way terriers look. They are nice though.
-Sofi-
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I particularly don't like the way terriers look. They are nice though.
:eek: How can you not like the way terriers look?!? Seriously, google "Patterdale Terrier" thats what ive got and she's the ind of dog that is so cute you wanna cry! lol
Cattleman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Sofi-)

It's all in the training.

Labradors are soft and cuddly for most people. However, a little known fact is that at one point a police force in the UK started using them to replace the Alsatians. They had to get rid of them because once they have been trained to attack they get themselves into an attacking frenzy and don't respond to orders for them to stop.

Dobermans are military dogs. They were traditionally used as guard and attack dogs.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
It's all in the training.

Labradors are soft and cuddly for most people. However, a little known fact is that at one point a police force in the UK started using them to replace the Alsatians. They had to get rid of them because once they have been trained to attack they get themselves into an attacking frenzy and don't respond to orders for them to stop.

Dobermans are military dogs. They were traditionally used as guard and attack dogs.
Is that true? I personally love the way Labradors look, but seeing as how docile and passive they appeared to be, I didn't go for one.

What kind of training would you have to give it for it to be aggressive at the right times? (Just a basic outline.)
Cattleman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is that true? I personally love the way Labradors look, but seeing as how docile and passive they appeared to be, I didn't go for one.

What kind of training would you have to give it for it to be aggressive at the right times? (Just a basic outline.)

It is true, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to train a dog to be like that. Google I guess will hold the answers.

If you want to train a dog to be friendly, calm and good with children I can help there.. ha
Misogynist
Rep:
?
It is true, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to train a dog to be like that. Google I guess will hold the answers.

If you want to train a dog to be friendly, calm and good with children I can help there.. ha
I want it to be friendly most of the time, however i'd like it to be firm at the correct times too.

I've seen so many dogs whimpering in fear at the slightest stimulus which just isn't appealing to me. I'd like my dog to be smart, quick, fun, very calm and well mannered but aggressive when it's in a situation which calls for it.

I suppose you could help with the former few things on that list?
Cattleman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I want it to be friendly most of the time, however i'd like it to be firm at the correct times too.

I've seen so many dogs whimpering in fear at the slightest stimulus which just isn't appealing to me. I'd like my dog to be smart, quick, fun, very calm and well mannered but aggressive when it's in a situation which calls for it.

I suppose you could help with the former few things on that list?
Yaha.

There are also plenty of books available on the subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads