Why CAN'T you apply to both Oxford and Cambridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eva2)
1. Not very modest, are you? I couldn't care less.
2. One flaw in your arguments: you keep insulting people who have stated facts wrongly. Try offering some constructive criticisms instead.
3. You dismiss people by insulting them, and that's not a way to go. You are clearly not going to be a good debater. In fact I very much doubt that you will meet the requirements of the conditional offer with that sort of attitude.
4. How dare you call me an imbecile? You are being irrational and intolerant. You truly don't deserve the offer that they gave you, and I hope that you don't get in.
From an unbiased perspective, you are being just as abusive. Stop being petty; leave past comments be. In other words, either debate the facts or stop posting.
LizB
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It would rip space and time apart at the seams. Luckily there is a team of highly trained kittens standing by to heal such breaches before they destroy us all. Unfortunatly it would kill the kittens in the process. You wouldn't want the kittens to die would you? You monster. :bawling:

Also, I think you have to submit a seperate form of some kind if you are an organ scholar. Just guessing. :confused:
MalcomNewMoney84
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Coz I'm too good for both innit.
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The best thing about Cambridge and Oxford is the fact that they interview so many. If applicants doubled this could make interviewing far less tenable. It would take twice as long, and cost a bomb. Also both Universities would lose alot of good applicants. They'd make offers to the same good people who would be unable to take up both offers, and the other less noticeable but good candidates would get overlooked.
wer343lit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
On topic: I guess a strength of Oxbridge is that they examine each application in so much detail. This would not be as possible if people could apply to both, since the number of applications would rise dramatically.
nuodai
Report 9 years ago
5 pages and I'll admit to not having read any except the first, so sorry if my reply is somewhat redundant by now.

I can't think of many reasons why you can't apply to both other than either tradition or elitism. By tradition I don't mean anything in terms of prestige, more from an admin point of view in that the two unis are used to dishing out offers on the basis that they're likely to be a student's 1st choice no matter what other unis they've applied to; if students were allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge, that system would obviously have to change. In terms of elitism, it's just that the two unis have historically been viewed as the cream of the crop, and the standard of applicants, admission process and suchlike are essentially the same. Perhaps there are more reasons that I'm overlooking, but I do think it would be better if students could apply to both.
Castelbajac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Probably because it would be a massive waste of time and resources.

Candidates are going to have to eventually decide which one they prefer, so they might as well do it before they have even applied.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hey guysch im kl)
1. I got 7 A*s and 3As at GCSE. 5 As at AS and on track for straight As at A-level. I have offers for an incredibly competitive course at Cambs, LSE and UCL. If thats not a very good student, I don't know what is.
2. Lol thats not a flaw in reasoning, thats something you personally dislike.
3. Yes, because whether or not you insult people on the internet determines the grade you will get in A2 exams
4. Again, because my brashness on the internet determines my academic ability, potential and motivation. LOL
Are you one of those nerdy types that doesn't leave their room hence doesn't know how to interact with other people? Its just it sort of comes across in your posts... I've met them before - they are often unaware of social protocol and get into pointless arguments and at the end of the day come across as not worth speaking to. That is sad .
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Are you one of those nerdy types that doesn't leave their room hence doesn't know how to interact with other people? Its just it sort of comes across in your posts... I've met them before - they are often unaware of social protocol and get into pointless arguments and at the end of the day come across as not worth speaking to. That is sad .
:ditto: this
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eva2)
Me?! Why is it me? :confused: You clearly haven't read any of his posts!
This is going to sound childish but: HE started it! He was the one that called me thick, he was the one that said my arguments were incoherent and that he was a better student than I am. But I'M the one being abusive?? I don't think so.
You said "**** you" in one of your posts, and now you're very aggressively attacking him. Maybe you're not being abusive, but I'd say you're definitely overreacting. He only called you thick, it's not that insulting.
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
yeah
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eva2)
:ditto: this
Well this thread is over...

Did you attend the Oxford open day, out of interest, or are you (potentially) next year's apps?
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well this thread is over...

Did you attend the Oxford open day, out of interest, or are you (potentially) next year's apps?
why do you ask?? :confused:
blueJ-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 0404343m)
I don't really agree with it, but they claim it'd be an admin nightmare. Effectively those that were predicted results good enough for Oxbridge would double their applications up and send them to the other aswell, increasing the workload. You'd then get cries of those rejected by one but accepted by the other and vice versa of being somehow 'unfair', in addition to increased claims how subjective the whole interview system is, and probably putting both of them under a scrutiny that they'd rather avoid. Personally, I'd treat them like everyone else, having an early deadline/interviews/pooling etc only furthers an image of elitism, when in reality the gap between them and other leading universities is (in my experience) not all that great.

+1
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nuodai)
5 pages and I'll admit to not having read any except the first, so sorry if my reply is somewhat redundant by now.

I can't think of many reasons why you can't apply to both other than either tradition or elitism. By tradition I don't mean anything in terms of prestige, more from an admin point of view in that the two unis are used to dishing out offers on the basis that they're likely to be a student's 1st choice no matter what other unis they've applied to; if students were allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge, that system would obviously have to change. In terms of elitism, it's just that the two unis have historically been viewed as the cream of the crop, and the standard of applicants, admission process and suchlike are essentially the same. Perhaps there are more reasons that I'm overlooking, but I do think it would be better if students could apply to both.
Perhaps because you've not read much of this thread, you are overlooking the single most important and obvious reason for the current system. This is that interviewing the vast majority of candidates between the end of term at the beginning of December and a week or two before Christmas would not be a viable option anymore. Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to interviews as a key element in their selection strategy. And, of course, these interviews take up considerable time, with each candidate being grilled far more than would be the case elsewhere, sometimes several times.
nuodai
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Perhaps because you've not read much of this thread, you are overlooking the single most important and obvious reason for the current system. This is that interviewing the vast majority of candidates between the end of term at the beginning of December and a week or two before Christmas would not be a viable option anymore. Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to interviews as a key element in their selection strategy. And, of course, these interviews take up considerable time, with each candidate being grilled far more than would be the case elsewhere, sometimes several times.
Having looked at the amount of bickering on the last page or so I'm glad I didn't read through it :p: But yes, I see what you mean here... now I think about it I can't really imagine having to go through that whole process twice, and the strain on the admissions tutors would increase quite heavily.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eva2)
why do you ask?? :confused:
Well its mostly run by students and I helped out, and will (probably) be in the future, and i was going to ask how you found it, what went well and (if i'm honest) what colleges did a good job and what didn't!
Smeh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well its mostly run by students and I helped out, and will (probably) be in the future, and i was going to ask how you found it, what went well and (if i'm honest) what colleges did a good job and what didn't!
Sorry to hijack but I quite liked the free lunch at Hertford college
Personally I though all the colleges I went to (which was most of them when I think about it) were quite well organised and the students were really helpful.
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
doesnt matter, not going there anymore. thanks anyway.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Smeh)
Sorry to hijack but I quite liked the free lunch at Hertford college
Personally I though all the colleges I went to (which was most of them when I think about it) were quite well organised and the students were really helpful.
Feel free! Free lunches always go down well :p: . I'm impressed you managed to get about so many colleges - was pretty hot too lol. Anything stand out in particular? Give Merton a visit??

(Original post by Eva2)
doesnt matter, not going there anymore. thanks anyway.
lol erm... ok then.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads