Do people keep spelling/pronouncing your name wrong? Watch

This discussion is closed.
francescarella
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well as a "francesca" i get allsorts! they usually spell it franchesca or fransheska or francessca or franchessca or francescah. gahhh! and as for pronunciation. well i get jessica or manchester(!)
and my surname is "balchin" and i get balshin ballchin baldchin balkin baldwin belchin bolchin .....

my parents hated me=[
Malinski
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All the time!! But im used to it now, so it doesn't bother me!
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My first name is Ami- only pronounced wrong once (they pronounced it as 'Ammy', for some strange reason...) but it's spelled wrong constantly. Because it's that inconcievable that the name might be spelled with an 'I' :mad:
Salain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's Catriona. Pronounced Catrina, or technically meant to be 'catree-uh-na' but the uh sound is only slightly pronounced.
Not Catrina, Katrina, Catrona, Katriona, Catriana, Catrena, Catroina or Catrana (?!).
If I tell people my name's Cat, then people assume my full name is Catherine/Cathryn/Katherine/Kathryn. Can't win.
tetters
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my name is ollie yet some stupid bimbo at the bowling alley thought i said 'holly' as my name - how many lads are called holly, i mean seriously what the hell - i kept thinking i hope nobody looks at our scoreboard and thinks i'm a lady boy or something

my last name is spelt in all sorts of ways : peplow, ketlow, etlow, peflow, teplow, taplow - its crazy
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
My full name is Kathryn: its been spelt:

Cathryn
Katherine
Catherine
Katheryn

Hardly anybody gets it right x
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
peopel pronounced my name wrong a lot when i went to australia (And china, but its not their fault!)
jmj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My surname is double barreled. The first is really common but the first is quite rare, hence my mum wanted to keep it when my parents got married. The rare part very regularly gets spelled wrongly. In fact a friend of mine thought it was a strange nickname until recently, and thought I liked it a bit too much when she saw I had it on Facebook.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xSplashx)
Quite regularly when people are reading my name aloud. Names Natalie pronounced Nuhtarhlie. Instead I get called the normal pronounciation of Natalie, which is understandable. But once you correct someone they usually don't get it wrong. And I think Essex people cannot say my last name correctly. Everywhere else they seem to manage it.
Nuhtarhlie?

sorry, but I can't see how you get that from Natalie. Surely it should be spelt differently - Na can't be Nuh, the letter 'a' can't make an 'uh' sound

Oh well each to their own - it's a total butchering of a perfectly good name though but anyway...
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lodzinski. I always spell it for people and usually during pronunciation say 'close enough'
CheesyBeans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Nuhtarhlie?

sorry, but I can't see how you get that from Natalie. Surely it should be spelt differently - Na can't be Nuh, the letter 'a' can't make an 'uh' sound
Well it can. I have a Lancashire accent and anyone called Sarah or Claire will be called Suruh or Clur from me. It's just how I naturally pronounce those kind of words. In my school there were only Suruhs and Clurs. I can't help it unless I consciously make an effort to pronounce such words as other people would like me to.

I have a friend called Sarah who is from Germany and had never know anyone to pronounce her name the way I do before. She likes how I say her name and says it's nice how she always knows it's me calling her.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nuhtarhlie?

Oh well each to their own - it's a total butchering of a perfectly good name though but anyway...
See: Italian football player Antonio Di Natale .... pronounced Nuhtarhlie :p:
Meliae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My surname always gets spelt wrong on letters and such and I've always had to spell it out for receptionists and the like needing to write my name down for whatever reason. I have no idea why though, it's not very common but it's only 1 syllable and easy to spell.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
See: Italian football player Antonio Di Natale .... pronounced Nuhtarhlie :p:
well ok but he's italian - the poles pronounce W as V but you wouldn't say Vales instead of Wales just because of how a Polish person would say it.

(Original post by CheesyBeans)
Well it can. I have a Lancashire accent and anyone called Sarah or Claire will be called Suruh or Clur from me. It's just how I naturally pronounce those kind of words. In my school there were only Suruhs and Clurs. I can't help it unless I consciously make an effort to pronounce such words as other people would like me to.

I have a friend called Sarah who is from Germany and had never know anyone to pronounce her name the way I do before. She likes how I say her name and says it's nice how she always knows it's me calling her.
hmm ok I guess you're like cilla black then - she always says 'hurr' instead of 'hair'.

Still though I don't see how Natalie can really be anything other than Nah-tah-lee, as the poster whose name it is doesn't have a Lancashire accent (I assume) as she's from Essex.

Anyway it doesn't really matter.
OiaB
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my name is Jaime

it is forever being spelt as Jamie. Which is rather annoying.
CheesyBeans
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Still though I don't see how Natalie can really be anything other than Nah-tah-lee, as the poster whose name it is doesn't have a Lancashire accent (I assume) as she's from Essex.

Anyway it doesn't really matter.
I pronounce Natalie the correct way. I was just pointing out that some people sometimes pronounce 'a' differently to others and that if someone mispronounces a name, it could be because of the way they talk rather than them being wrong.
xSplashx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nuhtarhlie?

I like my name. Its different.

I might be from Essex but I'm also Indian so got the Indian/Russian pronounciation. Like the Italians their Na is Nuh (but only some parts of India). And according to one website there isn't an r, so my mistake. Should be nuh-tah-lee.
Sifr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
waa-ki-yah? Isn't the same pronounciation as the word "wackier"? LOL! I'd be happy to be called by a less wacky name if that was my name, I really wouldnt take offense when people didnt call me more strange. :p:
No its not the same pronounciation!
Its an Arabic word Waaaa-ki-yah (Stretch the "wa" and make it light)

Oooo(as in what you say when your teasing someone)-ki-yah
is definitely worse
lovers in japan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get called
Catherine
Katherine
Laura
Margaret
Georgia
Holly
Sally
Anna

...none of which are my name...

My surname is also always spelt incorrectly.
PointeShoes-x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rachel usually gets spelled correctly, although sometimes I get Rachael.
My surname, on the other hand is never pronounced or spelled correctly. When someone asks what my surname is I always say it, and then spell it out for them. It's pretty obscure, and sounds like it should be spelled a really obvious way which it isn't, which doesn't help.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (386)
37.22%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed