Me&boyfreind going to uni Watch

Tinkerbee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xxstace123xx)
Well this obviously isn't true, are you telling me you text in complete words, with no abreviations?
Yes :confused: It's a habit and easier to read, if I receive a text that is too text speaky it just gets deleted.
xxstace123xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For the most part yes, with punctuation. I'm not the only one to use semi-colons in messages am I?!
What is the point, even my grandad can understand text speak.. it is so much easier than typing it all out!
trefusis128
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is the point, even my grandad can understand text speak.. it is so much easier than typing it all out!
Even the most base of phones have predictive text, It's actually easier and faster to type out full words...
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And once you give me a valid reason for needing the microseconds that you save, I'll accept that it may be a 'valid' form of communication.
tropicalcoconuts3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tinkerbee)
Yes :confused: It's a habit and easier to read, if I receive a text that is too text speaky it just gets deleted.
You don't use abreviations and ellisions in texts? That must cost you loads! I don't like 'txt spk' but it saves so much money. I can put in so much more information in one text using this text language than writing properly. Why use up 2 messages when you can put the same content into 1?
Tinkerbee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tropicalcoconuts3)
You don't use abreviations and ellisions in texts? That must cost you loads! I don't like 'txt spk' but it saves so much money. I can put in so much more information in one text using this text language than writing properly. Why use up 2 messages when you can put the same content into 1?
I have free texts

And it doesnt save that much space
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I spill into two, I take out words I don't need. Otherwise, I send it regardless.
Adorlee
Report 10 years ago
Who negged me for my response? The coward could have at least left a name and a reason!
umm...this may sound silly n its not really relevent but what does 'negged' mean? im new >_<
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adorlee)
umm...this may sound silly n its not really relevent but what does 'negged' mean? im new >_<
Being given negative reputation.
tropicalcoconuts3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahh ok, I supose I would write normally if I had free texts.

And Spotty dog, what kind of words do you take out? Articles, function words? These things are still grammatical errors as you write in inccomplete syntactic structures else.

God I miss A level english language.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahh ok, I supose I would write normally if I had free texts.

And Spotty dog, what kind of words do you take out? Articles, function words? These things are still grammatical errors as you write in inccomplete syntactic structures else.

I just take out bits I don't need. For example, I was ranting to my partner today about the bank, and I put "The bank have been totally unhelpful today, they're just being akward", which changed to, "The bank are so unhelpful, they're being akward."

It all depends on what I'm writing and what I've written before.
Tinkerbee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I don't :p: ******* subject. And then the teacher told me after handing in my coursework... "you don't know what a noun is...sort that out" Yay results day
Adorlee
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trefusis128)
Being given negative reputation.
ahh thankyou iv been wondering this for a while...
...and on th subject of LDRs, yeah thy can work and as everyone else keeps saying really really don't choose a uni just because its th same as ur bfs. I'm sure you'll stay together but your degree is the most important thing here and as much as everyone hates to hear it, you never know what will happen in the future; if your relationship is that strong then th distance won't matter.

Also commuting! its not that hard to do, u can have all th hols together and can travel to stay at each other's uni accomodation every other weekend if needs be!
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adorlee)
can travel to stay at each other's uni accomodation every other weekend if needs be!
Some unis have restrictions on the amount people can stay.
tropicalcoconuts3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tinkerbee)
I don't :p: ******* subject. And then the teacher told me after handing in my coursework... "you don't know what a noun is...sort that out" Yay results day
awww! Did you really not know what a noun is or was that an exageration? lol english is my favourite subject not sure why, after the language change exam I called my friend who also took english lang a prescriptivist because she corrected something I said (to be funny coz we just came out of an english exam) and she was like huh? I said a 'prescriptivist! You know like Bishop Lowth, and she stared blankly at me. Guess she was the one who failed that one not me!
Adorlee
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Some unis have restrictions on the amount people can stay.
yeah but some don't and it would only be one visitor...also i assume that usually during th 2nd year most ppl move out of uni accomodation & share with other students.

failing that they can day visit or meet at an intermediate city...
Dreamy_whisper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rt)
That's abit morbid - not all relationships fail. Maybe you have bad experiences but not everyone.
It's not morbid, just realistic. People change as they get older - she won't be the same person she is now when she starts uni and neither will he. The chances of you changing with each other are slim. That's why so many young relationships fail. And anyway, living out of each others pockets like going to the same uni is just asking for trouble anyway. To have a healthy relationship you also need to be independant of each other and be comfortable having your own life. Jeopardising your future for the sake of a relationship in your teens is never a good idea. You need to think for yourself first because any relationship can fail, and at this age, the chances of that are high. Sad but true.
Tinkerbee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
awww! Did you really not know what a noun is or was that an exageration? lol english is my favourite subject not sure why, after the language change exam I called my friend who also took english lang a prescriptivist because she corrected something I said (to be funny coz we just came out of an english exam) and she was like huh? I said a 'prescriptivist! You know like Bishop Lowth, and she stared blankly at me. Guess she was the one who failed that one not me!

It may sadly be true I was looking at language change in recipes for my coursework, what a rave that was, and I did have to look at nouns so God knows. I farrr prefer english lit.
subterfuge
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My mum uses txt speak in text messages but i don't. It's quite strange. I occasionally don't understand words she writes.

But anyway...
OP, It must seem pretty mean of everyone to be telling you that your relationship isn't going to last and that you're too young to know what you want. Some people are talking from experience, but i'm sure you'll work out everything for yourself in the end. In my experiences, a lot of my friends changed most during their A level years - sometimes more in those 2 years than in the previous 5 years of school!

If you find a uni that you both love and end up there together then there's probably no harm in it - you could face the extra problems of making new friends while being in a couple later on, or go about your lives separately if it didn't work out. It's unlikely to be a good idea to pick a uni based on you both being able to go there though. You might miss out on something that'd be really good - a course you'd enjoy more, a city you'd never have visited but want to live in for the rest of your life, a great nightlife... etc...

It wouldn't have to be the end of your relationship if you didn't get into the same uni, lots of people do manage to keep long term relationships with some hard work and it'd be quite fun experiencing 2 new places instead of 1. If one of you lived near the coast and the other in a city... that'd be quite handy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads