Should women earn as much as men? Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by affinity89)
The reference to my personal situation was to show that whilst you can make generalisations - that men work longer hours than men - such generalisations are never going to be 100% correct. Far from it. And the smug smilie is pretty pathetic to be honest.

As I've said, you clearly are stuck in your ways. Of course every woman has the same ideas and aims as every other woman - why did I never think of that? [Because it is a load of bull!] The fact is, in like for like roles in both public and private sectors women are more likely to be paid less than men. There was a report out on it a few years back, where local councils were complaining because to actually pay their female employees the same as their male employees (in the same roles) it would cost millions because they have been coasting along all this time, basically abusing their female employees. The sheer amount of money they said they would have to find shows the scale of the issue.

As far as I am concerned, the answer to the question is simple. Yes men and women should be paid the same for the same work. I'm not talking about generalisations or averages from across the board of employment. Like for like work should equal like for like pay. End of.
I've shown you evidence that if men and women took on identical jobs women would be paid MORE. Contained within the article are several jobs that women actually get paid more in. The fact that women are paid less is entirely down to them and doesn't come from discrimination. I know that all womens aims in life aren't the same, that's a given, but the fact of the matter is the very few who don't aim to give up work or at least put work on the back burner for children earn more than men in the same scenarios as them. It's a fact. As much as you would like to think women can some how fight their biological make up they cant. There are chemicals and hormones at play that most women can never overcome, they take less hours or no hours at all where their male counterpart keeps working. Please get this imaginary pay gap out of your mind. It doesn't exist.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If they are doing exactly the same job, then they should get exactly the same pay.

However, if a person is doing a more dangerous/demanding/difficult job, then that person should recieve more,regardless of gender.

The difference in pay between the sexes only becomes an issue when stupid people failt o take that into account. It's a fact that your average women prefer part time work, with shorter or more flexible hours and less demanding tasks. So of course they'll be paid less than your average man who prefers high pressure, physicallydemanding jobs.
WithFlyingColours
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The pay gap does not exist. No one has come up with any evidence that someone who does the same hours, has been at the company for the same amount of time, doing the same job, gets paid more if they're a male. People are just deducing that this is the case because of the reports we keep getting told by the feminist press that men earn more than woman on average.
Absinth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WithFlyingColours)
He's not against maternity leave, he's just stating reasons as to why women perhaps earn less than men. Sick pay benefits the company aswell as being compulsory. The theory behind it is that people return to work faster if they're paid while they're sick. "Pay for Maternity leave is compulsory too" I hear you cry. Yes, it is, but it in no way benefits the company. If the government paid for all maternity pay it would be much better, but then again Gordon Brown isn't too good at keeping to a budget so that will never happen. Companies shouldn't be expected to do something that costs them when it in no way benefits them.
I personally don't believe sick pay makes people 'return to work faster', if anything, it would encourage people to stay at home and get sick pay for doing nothing.
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
You're right withflyingcolours and this has been the point of my thread. The pay gap is an illusion of the feminist mind. I have never once read a report stating that women get paid less for doing the same job, with the same experience education etc. The reports just state women are earning less regardless of over time, risk, education and many other factors.

I think the key is feminism. It is clear to every logical mind that feminism is just a vehicle for female chauvinism and increasing the rights of women at the expense of men. I think men should stand up against misandry.
If not, the result will be more legislation designed to hurt men and more educated/skilled men emigrating to greener pastures.
Lychee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
RE the BA thing.

Just want to point out that the reason she took BA to court and WON is that the contract they made her sign was ILLEGAL!! The law states something like "all reasonable requests for part time work should be considered" BA did not consider her reasonable request becasue of their illegal contract. Therefore she took them to court and she won. If BA want to avoid huge payoffs to staff then they dont need to stop employing women. They need to start employing good lawyers to draw up legal contracts.

As for the rest of it grrrrrr! Yes women have babies but the productivity problem is not because of that fact. Ok the company will lose 6 months of work but IF we had the structures in place to support new mothers. If fathers would invest in their kids too, if we didnt work the longest hours in europe, have terrible childcare provision and support networks then women would be able to go back to work sooner and work harder. In countries where this is provided teh gap is much lower. It does frustrate me intensely that men and women have children together but only women take the career damage from this. If men would get involved too (and if poaternity leave was made equal to maternity leave) then this problem would die away.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bornstubborn)
You're right withflyingcolours and this has been the point of my thread. The pay gap is an illusion of the feminist mind. I have never once read a report stating that women get paid less for doing the same job, with the same experience education etc. The reports just state women are earning less regardless of over time, risk, education and many other factors.

I think the key is feminism. It is clear to every logical mind that feminism is just a vehicle for female chauvinism and increasing the rights of women at the expense of men. I think men should stand up against misandry.
If not, the result will be more legislation designed to hurt men and more educated/skilled men emigrating to greener pastures.
Agreed. Down with feminism.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lychee)
RE the BA thing.

Just want to point out that the reason she took BA to court and WON is that the contract they made her sign was ILLEGAL!! The law states something like "all reasonable requests for part time work should be considered" BA did not consider her reasonable request becasue of their illegal contract. Therefore she took them to court and she won. If BA want to avoid huge payoffs to staff then they dont need to stop employing women. They need to start employing good lawyers to draw up legal contracts.

As for the rest of it grrrrrr! Yes women have babies but the productivity problem is not because of that fact. Ok the company will lose 6 months of work but IF we had the structures in place to support new mothers. If fathers would invest in their kids too, if we didnt work the longest hours in europe, have terrible childcare provision and support networks then women would be able to go back to work sooner and work harder. In countries where this is provided teh gap is much lower. It does frustrate me intensely that men and women have children together but only women take the career damage from this. If men would get involved too (and if poaternity leave was made equal to maternity leave) then this problem would die away.
What reason exactly does anybody have to follow your little rules? I mean biologically speaking children belong with their mothers, it's a proven fact. Women at the top are choosing not to go back to work, or if they do go back to work are choosing to take less hours. I don't really see what could change this? It seems to me people just want to keep making more and more outragous demands that can never be met so women have their excuses for not succeeding in their careers to the high calibre that men do.
Absinth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
I mean biologically speaking children belong with their mothers, it's a proven fact. Women at the top are choosing not to go back to work, or if they do go back to work are choosing to take less hours. I don't really see what could change this?
I think children belong to both the mother and father. The only difference is that it pops out of the woman, but essentially the child is *both* the parents' responsibility. Women have too much responsibility for children imo.
What do people think of househusbands?
Charliexxbby
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
abit sexist don't you think :P
lol, i mean if the women work as hard as the men ( and vise versa) their reward should be the same. I guess this is where Generation "Y" kicks in now a days :P lol not that I can talk since its the only generation I have lived in :P
but oh well, that's what i believe and i'm sticking to it
yvonnay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WithFlyingColours)
The thing is, women need to decide between a career and having children. As long as they're happy to take maternity leave at a cost to the company they work for, they have no right to be paid the same as men. Not because men are better, but because it makes no sense for a company to invest as much in a woman instead of a man when the woman can, by law, take maternity leave and still cost the company money for absolutely NO productivity.

Also, these reports have always struck me as silly because you never see a comparison of what proportion of each sex are in jobs, and what they do. You can't expect sexes to be paid the same on average, when more of one sex are in a higher paid field of work than the other. It is still the case that men are primary workers in most families.
Ok so how can it be fair for people to be paid sick pay?!!
warblade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course they should earn as much as men. No doubt on that.

However I'd like to ask one question and I'm actually apologising if this isn't the case in this country.

When I did my GCSEs in Portugal, a couple of years ago, I remember that at the Sports subject where we all played all kinds of sports (duh lol) boys had to do 20 laps in order to get the best grade (A let's say) and girls only had to do 16 (you see what I mean). Now that was something that I've never understood because I think equality should be on everything and I'm not being one of those people that says "oh you wanna earn as much as men so behave like one" no, not at all I'm just asking this merely by curiosity and if this isn't the case then nevermind about it was only wondering if it happens in the UK too.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Absinth)
I think children belong to both the mother and father. The only difference is that it pops out of the woman, but essentially the child is *both* the parents' responsibility. Women have too much responsibility for children imo.
What do people think of househusbands?
I don't have a problem with house husbands, but I personally couldn't stand not being the bread winner for my family. There's no denying that men are stronger and women are more careing and the situation where the woman looks after the children and the man goes out to work plays to this, a man can easily handle a 60 hour week and a woman can look after the children to a far higher degree. Of course this is a generalisation though. You seem to think that because men are earning money they have some how shirked their responsibility which isn't the case. It just makes sense for the person with the most earning power to go out and work. As i've said before women are also compelled by their hormones to look after children to a far greater degree than males, the main way a man can think to look after his children is to provide. It's the perfect combination.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by warblade)
Of course they should earn as much as men. No doubt on that.

However I'd like to ask one question and I'm actually apologising if this isn't the case in this country.

When I did my GCSEs in Portugal, a couple of years ago, I remember that at the Sports subject where we all played all kinds of sports (duh lol) boys had to do 20 laps in order to get the best grade (A let's say) and girls only had to do 16 (you see what I mean). Now that was something that I've never understood because I think equality should be on everything and I'm not being one of those people that says "oh you wanna earn as much as men so behave like one" no, not at all I'm just asking this merely by curiosity and if this isn't the case then nevermind about it was only wondering if it happens in the UK too.
It most certainly does happen in the UK. When women join the army they have lower fitness requirements and often get put into their own platoon because being with the men is too tough. Obviously the enemy will take into account that they're women when they're fighting and go a bit easy on them .
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well said Elipsis.

I think its funny how many negative reps i have got since making this thread. What is the difference between a neutral negative rep and a neg rep?
Nefelige
Report 10 years ago
If they do the exact same things they should earn exactly the same as men.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bornstubborn)
Well said Elipsis.

I think its funny how many negative reps i have got since making this thread. What is the difference between a neutral negative rep and a neg rep?
Neutrals are from people who don't have any rep power, they don't affect your rep, they just show other users disagreement, but proper neg rep makes you go down.
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't have a problem with house husbands, but I personally couldn't stand not being the bread winner for my family. There's no denying that men are stronger and women are more careing and the situation where the woman looks after the children and the man goes out to work plays to this, a man can easily handle a 60 hour week and a woman can look after the children to a far higher degree. Of course this is a generalisation though. You seem to think that because men are earning money they have some how shirked their responsibility which isn't the case. It just makes sense for the person with the most earning power to go out and work. As i've said before women are also compelled by their hormones to look after children to a far greater degree than males, the main way a man can think to look after his children is to provide. It's the perfect combination.

Why have men more earning power though?? I could just as easily do a 60 hour week. So what's the difference??
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It most certainly does happen in the UK. When women join the army they have lower fitness requirements and often get put into their own platoon because being with the men is too tough. Obviously the enemy will take into account that they're women when they're fighting and go a bit easy on them .
Interestingly enough, women still aren't allowed to fight on the front line, should we ever have a wwII style battle front (which isn't likely in the nature of warfare today)

Personally can't say I see any good reason for men and women to not have the same entry requirements in any job (within reason), and in return get the same pay, providing they perform as well, are given as much responsibilities etc etc - There's no good or adequate reason why there should be any sort of imbalance imho. Nor should there be an imbalance of the types of work delegated onto the individual based on sex under any circumstances ( which I suppose, in turn could effect pay )

The opinion that men should have a greater earning ability in 99% of jobs nowadays is an outdated one, mainly due to changes in social standings and expectations, and stereotypes..
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EvilSheep)
Why have men more earning power though?? I could just as easily do a 60 hour week. So what's the difference??
You could but that doesn't mean you will. The fact of the matter is women are far less likely to work 60 hour weeks, and are far more likely to succomb to the pressure of not seeing their children every day than men are. Your capacity to work is the same I agree, but the likely hood of a woman capitalising on this potential is far lower.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads