How many of you are thinking of Oxbridge? Watch

zodiac90
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by n1r4v)
Out of curiosity, why Oxford and not the obvious other? :p:

P.S You should chill out on the H&R threads. Really chill out.
Its closer to me and my school's got a good history of people getting in.

lol H&R is wonderful
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
lol, i reckon id need straight a's to stand a chance but this is subjective and depends on your school. You do NOT need straight A*s... even if your school is amazing
Then it's just a complete fluke that most people who get in have the majority of their GCSEs at grade A*? Yeah, sure :rolleyes:
Cities
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
lol.. dont choose a uni just because of the name + the feel, i actually thought of cambridge because of its course before i even knew about all the hype about it/it was so hard to get into

you dont need all A*s to get in though
I agree with you for thinking of Cambridge for the course rather than the "prestige" and "feel" [I just thought of these as subsidiary bonuses; the main thing was the course].

But it sort of seems like you're insinuating that the chances of getting accepted into Cambridge are similar if you have all A* or only 1 A*. Of course you can get an offer from them with 1 A*, but it's a lot lot more likely, "ceteris paribus", that you'll get in with more A*, simply because GCSEs are a factor in their decision making process.

Spoiler:
Show
unrelated, but can you recommend me some psych/goa trance artists :p:
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by n1r4v)
I agree with you for thinking of Cambridge for the course rather than the "prestige" and "feel" [I just thought of these as subsidiary bonuses; the main thing was the course].

But it sort of seems like you're insinuating that the chances of getting accepted into Cambridge are similar if you have all A* or only 1 A*. Of course you can get an offer from them with 1 A*, but it's a lot lot more likely, "ceteris paribus", that you'll get in with more A*, simply because GCSEs are a factor in their decision making process.

Spoiler:
Show

mmm, again your grades are subjective to your school, normally the better your school the better your grades

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion2/2_6.html
Penelope247
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been considering Oxford since I was 13. I'm not sure I'm oxbridge material at all, I'm certainly not predicted 10 A*'s, I'm predicted 2 A*'s and 7 A's but at this rate I feel like that was far too generous. Recently I've been freaking out somewhat. When I look back to all the notes I made it looks like I did a lot of studying which I clearly did. But then I remember how in one instance the night before my Chemistry GCSE (AQA) which was a hard paper, I spent the whole night cramming for Chemistry as it was one of the GCSE's I'd gotten an A* in, in my mocks so I never revised too hard for it. And the night before I realised how stupid this was and freaked out and went overkill, when I'd finally finished cramming I couldn't actually fall asleep and then in the morning I took one of my brothers ritalin pills and a cup of coffee to keep me awake during the exam-which looking back on was a very very stupid idea. So now I do feel like I've failed. But then I have to remind myself of the hard work I did. They say you can pretty much forget Oxbridge without a minimum of 5 A*'s. Even so I've always fantasized about it...
moody28028
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by n1r4v)

Spoiler:
Show
Surely it isn't you're more likely with more A*s because you have more A*s, but because you are probably more intelligent and therefore a better applicant if you gained more A*s at GCSE.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Penelope247)
I spent the whole night cramming for Chemistry as it was one of the GCSE's I'd gotten an A* in, in my mocks so I never revised too hard for it. And the night before I realised how stupid this was and freaked out and went overkill, when I'd finally finished cramming I couldn't actually fall asleep and then in the morning
:eek: :eek: i thought i was bad cramming till 2:30am for that exam then having to drink water continuously to stay awake during it

and yeah thats an A* i pissed down the drain too :hugs:
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moody28028)
Surely it isn't you're more likely with more A*s because you have more A*s, but because you are probably more intelligent and therefore a better applicant if you gained more A*s at GCSE.
No idea what you're trying to say. Sorry.
zodiac90
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by n1r4v)
No idea what you're trying to say. Sorry.
why, where are u applying?
John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Penelope247)
When I look back to all the notes I made it looks like I did a lot of studying which I clearly did. But then I remember how in one instance the night before my Chemistry GCSE (AQA) which was a hard paper
Yeah I'm pretty sure that paper screwed up my chances of getting an A* too, ah well .
zodiac90
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moody28028)
quite clearly yyeah...A*s are just ink on paper, its what they mean tahts the point
k823127
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No thanks.
tomster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shabanrauf)
Wow, GCSE students thinking about universities already....

You guys seriously need calm down here....

Everything changes at A-level
Exactly, I can't really see the reason why people are saying 'just because I'm predicted very good GCSE's means i'm good enough to apply to Oxbridge'. Things at A-level completely change, some people will make the effort to get A*/A'S and some won't. I will guarantee by this time next year that over half of the students who aspiring to go to Oxbridge in this thread will have a completely different attitude and will end up choosing another university. I'm not implying in this thread that people are stupid, but just there is another two years left in your education and these tend to be the most important. At Oxbridge, neither care little about GCSE grades, if you have the time to look around the forum, you will see that there are students who have had 9 A*'s, 3 A-levels and still have been rejected. But on the otherhand, there are students who have 2/3 A grades at GCSE but still succeed in getting into either Oxford or Cambridge.

What even annoys me more about this thread is how people use the generic term 'Oxbridge' and how people arn't exactly bothered which of the two universities they wish to go to, but either one would be satisfactory for them.

Even though I posted earlier about my own thoughts on going to either Oxford or Cambridge (and sounds oxymoronic), I just don't want people to over-inflate their egos. I've seen someone who had a conditional offer for AAA at Cambridge and was that confident about getting in that he did little revising for his A2's; he got CCC. He's just completed his Law degree from Nottingham Trent - That shows how quickly things can change in a year.

tom

(Sorry if I offended anyone!)
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zodiac90)
why, where are u applying?
I'm in yr13. already applied; thought it would be interested to see the thread.
moody28028
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What I meant was if you got more A*s at GCSE you'll be more likely to get high UMS in your A levels, which will probably be the main reason why you would get in, not because you got xA*s. It's not a direct link, it's a casual link.
Mithra
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with you there Tomster, especially on the 'Oxbridge' thing. I hate all these people who just want to go to Oxford or Cambridge for the 'prestige' of the university and couldn't really care less about what the actual course is like or how much work there is.
tomster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mithra)
I agree with you there Tomster, especially on the 'Oxbridge' thing. I hate all these people who just want to go to Oxford or Cambridge for the 'prestige' of the university and couldn't really care less about what the actual course is like or how much work there is.
Exactly, they can't apply for both on their UCAS!
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mithra)
yep, but thats how it is oh well these people will find out soon enough when they should know you need to be committed to a subject if you want to do it at cambridge/oxforrd
tucker672
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have know aspiration to go to Cambridge. But i love Oxord but more importantly there course of PPE.

I hate the term Oxbridge it is so annoying.
Lippy Lizzy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I only do 3 A Levels and one AS does that hinder my chance of getting in. Apparently it has to be 4???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads