The Student Room Group

UKCAT - Practice Questions and Useful Resources

Scroll to see replies

When do 2010 entrants take the UKCAT? Is it any time after May and before....September? Is there a recommended time? I think I'm gonna have to abandon my summer holiday :frown:
Reply 121
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
When do 2010 entrants take the UKCAT? Is it any time after May and before....September? Is there a recommended time? I think I'm gonna have to abandon my summer holiday :frown:

Taking it before your UCAS may help you decide whether you should really be applying for medicine (e.g. its not too late to apply for something else if your score is really low). Taking it later on will give you more time to prepare. Totally up to you. You can take it up until October sometime.
This is probably a pointless question, but:

I sat the UKCAT in September last year, but I got a truly abysmal score (average was something ridiculous like 530) and I threw away the results print-out as I left the test centre (maybe a stupid thing to do but I knew that I couldn't apply to any UKCAT unis with that score).

So, is there anyway for me to find out exactly what my results were, just to satisfy my curiosity now that I actually have an offer?
what year do you do your ukcat in 12 or 13?
My Tosis Is...?
what year do you do your ukcat in 12 or 13?

Usually in between the two.
jonnyofengland
Usually in between the two.

basically before you send off your app?
My Tosis Is...?
basically before you send off your app?

Yeah, from Juneish through to the start of October. The BMAT, on the other hand, is taken a month after your application is sent off.
jonnyofengland
Yeah, from Juneish through to the start of October. The BMAT, on the other hand, is taken a month after your application is sent off.

thank you very helpful! (i'm a crap googler :o: )
My Tosis Is...?
thank you very helpful! (i'm a crap googler :o: )

No worries. And thanks for the rep. :top2:
jonnyofengland
No worries. And thanks for the rep. :top2:

Np (how did you know? :p: )
My Tosis Is...?
Np (how did you know? :p: )

You're the only person I've helped on this thread today, so it was a fair bet.

(And nothing at all to do with the fact that as a sub you can see the names of people who've repped you :ninja:)
jonnyofengland
You're the only person I've helped on this thread today, so it was a fair bet.

(And nothing at all to do with the fact that as a sub you can see the names of people who've repped you :ninja:)

ohh lol of course I forgot :p: hehehe what have you been doing to the others :s-smilie: lol
Reply 132
Hey guys,

I had a quick glimpse of the UKCAT website and eeeek! How do you complete all of the questions in the time allowed?
Most people i know who did it last year said they basically guessed about half of the questions...@___@!!

Also, I see that you'll be allowed to have some scrap paper(yay!) and a calculator. Is the calculator on the computer or does the centre give you one(as in, hand held one)?

Also, regarding the layout - do you get the stem of each question and the following up questions on the same page, or do you only get the questions after you click "next" and etc?
Nimbus
Hey guys,

I had a quick glimpse of the UKCAT website and eeeek! How do you complete all of the questions in the time allowed?
Most people i know who did it last year said they basically guessed about half of the questions...@___@!!

Also, I see that you'll be allowed to have some scrap paper(yay!) and a calculator. Is the calculator on the computer or does the centre give you one(as in, hand held one)?

Also, regarding the layout - do you get the stem of each question and the following up questions on the same page, or do you only get the questions after you click "next" and etc?

keeping good time is critical. don't worry about finishing all the questions, because apart from maybe the AR, you'll be pushed for time for the other three sections and will certainly have to resort to guessing at some point.

it's a hand held calculator (very basic).

yeh the stem is given on the same page for all the questions.

good luck. you should be delighted with anything above 650, and content with anything above 600.
And utterly ****** with anything below about 550 :p:
Reply 135
Ah eeeek.
Well, at least we get a hand held one. ^^';;

Thanks for the help. ^__^
Toiletpaper8
And utterly ****** with anything below about 550 :p:

Or just thinking about applying to BMAT ones. :wink:
Right so yeah, this is all really great but anyone got any tips for verbal reasoning coz its alot to read in 22 minutes!!! especially if ur quite a slow reader.... OMG just 1 month! until career making or breaking exams.
Reply 138
bigerler91
Right so yeah, this is all really great but anyone got any tips for verbal reasoning coz its alot to read in 22 minutes!!! especially if ur quite a slow reader.... OMG just 1 month! until career making or breaking exams.

I don't think you can call the UKCAT career making or breaking

Just practice your general fast reading skills. Read short magazine articles, then jot down everything you can remember about the article straight after. Practice looking for the key points. Google reading tips.
(Giggles) Thanks for the information.......sorry for being DRAMATIC!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending