UKCAT - Practice Questions and Useful Resources Watch

loveisjustasong
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When do 2010 entrants take the UKCAT? Is it any time after May and before....September? Is there a recommended time? I think I'm gonna have to abandon my summer holiday
Lu-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
When do 2010 entrants take the UKCAT? Is it any time after May and before....September? Is there a recommended time? I think I'm gonna have to abandon my summer holiday
Taking it before your UCAS may help you decide whether you should really be applying for medicine (e.g. its not too late to apply for something else if your score is really low). Taking it later on will give you more time to prepare. Totally up to you. You can take it up until October sometime.
Self Preservation Society
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is probably a pointless question, but:

I sat the UKCAT in September last year, but I got a truly abysmal score (average was something ridiculous like 530) and I threw away the results print-out as I left the test centre (maybe a stupid thing to do but I knew that I couldn't apply to any UKCAT unis with that score).

So, is there anyway for me to find out exactly what my results were, just to satisfy my curiosity now that I actually have an offer?
My Tosis Is...?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what year do you do your ukcat in 12 or 13?
Phalanges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by My Tosis Is...?)
what year do you do your ukcat in 12 or 13?
Usually in between the two.
My Tosis Is...?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnyofengland)
Usually in between the two.
basically before you send off your app?
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
basically before you send off your app?
Yeah, from Juneish through to the start of October. The BMAT, on the other hand, is taken a month after your application is sent off.
My Tosis Is...?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, from Juneish through to the start of October. The BMAT, on the other hand, is taken a month after your application is sent off.
thank you very helpful! (i'm a crap googler :o: )
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thank you very helpful! (i'm a crap googler :o: )
No worries. And thanks for the rep. :top2:
My Tosis Is...?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No worries. And thanks for the rep. :top2:
Np (how did you know? :p: )
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Np (how did you know? :p: )
You're the only person I've helped on this thread today, so it was a fair bet.

(And nothing at all to do with the fact that as a sub you can see the names of people who've repped you :ninja:)
My Tosis Is...?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're the only person I've helped on this thread today, so it was a fair bet.

(And nothing at all to do with the fact that as a sub you can see the names of people who've repped you :ninja:)
ohh lol of course I forgot :p: hehehe what have you been doing to the others lol
Nimbus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys,

I had a quick glimpse of the UKCAT website and eeeek! How do you complete all of the questions in the time allowed?
Most people i know who did it last year said they basically guessed about half of the [email protected][email protected]!!

Also, I see that you'll be allowed to have some scrap paper(yay!) and a calculator. Is the calculator on the computer or does the centre give you one(as in, hand held one)?

Also, regarding the layout - do you get the stem of each question and the following up questions on the same page, or do you only get the questions after you click "next" and etc?
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nimbus)
Hey guys,

I had a quick glimpse of the UKCAT website and eeeek! How do you complete all of the questions in the time allowed?
Most people i know who did it last year said they basically guessed about half of the [email protected][email protected]!!

Also, I see that you'll be allowed to have some scrap paper(yay!) and a calculator. Is the calculator on the computer or does the centre give you one(as in, hand held one)?

Also, regarding the layout - do you get the stem of each question and the following up questions on the same page, or do you only get the questions after you click "next" and etc?
keeping good time is critical. don't worry about finishing all the questions, because apart from maybe the AR, you'll be pushed for time for the other three sections and will certainly have to resort to guessing at some point.

it's a hand held calculator (very basic).

yeh the stem is given on the same page for all the questions.

good luck. you should be delighted with anything above 650, and content with anything above 600.
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And utterly ****** with anything below about 550 :p:
Nimbus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah eeeek.
Well, at least we get a hand held one. ^^';;

Thanks for the help. ^__^
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
And utterly ****** with anything below about 550 :p:
Or just thinking about applying to BMAT ones.
bigerler91
Report 10 years ago
Right so yeah, this is all really great but anyone got any tips for verbal reasoning coz its alot to read in 22 minutes!!! especially if ur quite a slow reader.... OMG just 1 month! until career making or breaking exams.
Lu-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by bigerler91)
Right so yeah, this is all really great but anyone got any tips for verbal reasoning coz its alot to read in 22 minutes!!! especially if ur quite a slow reader.... OMG just 1 month! until career making or breaking exams.
I don't think you can call the UKCAT career making or breaking

Just practice your general fast reading skills. Read short magazine articles, then jot down everything you can remember about the article straight after. Practice looking for the key points. Google reading tips.
bigerler91
Report 10 years ago
(Giggles) Thanks for the information.......sorry for being DRAMATIC!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads