Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    I have now added in the 06/07 unistat data:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post14621391

Yes the Cambridge figures are now very simialr to the Oxford ones.
    I applied for economics at UCL, with AAAA/B writing a personal statment that is on finance, as i also applied lse accounting and finance along with warwick.
    Is there a possiblity i can get in economics with writing on finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSEfreak)
    I applied for economics at UCL, with AAAA/B writing a personal statment that is on finance, as i also applied lse accounting and finance along with warwick.
    Is there a possiblity i can get in economics with writing on finance?
    Possible yes.
    Likely no.
    i.e. you will be competing against students who have written Econ PSs.
    so are at a significant disadvantage.

and your grades are great but not abnormally high compared with other applicants to UCL (check out the unistat data).

ReputationRep:
    Possible yes.
    Likely no.
    i.e. you will be competing against students who have written Econ PSs.
    so are at a significant disadvantage.

and your grades are great but not abnormally high compared with other applicants to UCL (check out the unistat data).
    So they wont buy it on the basis of finance=economics and are realted??

What about accounting and finance at warwick? i hardly wrote on accounting...

ReputationRep:
    So they wont buy it on the basis of finance=economics and are realted??
    I would be surprised.

What about accounting and finance at warwick? i hardly wrote on accounting...
    Simialrly if you apply for Accounting and Finance at a top uni ( i.e. with high applicant per place ratio), I would surprised if you got an offer if your PS barely mentioned one of the subjects.

Is your application recent enough for you to be able to amend your applciation?
    If you can then:
    i)Try and work out which of A+F and Econ you want to spend 3 years doing. Then apply for 5 unis for just that subject.
    ii) Write a PS that is focused on that subject. Either econ or (Accounting AND Finance).

ReputationRep:
    I would be surprised.

Simialrly if you apply for Accounting and Finance at a top uni ( i.e. with high applicant per place ratio), I would surprised if you got an offer if your PS barely mentioned one of the subjects.

Is your application recent enough for you to be able to amend your applciation?
    If you can then:
    i)Try and work out which of A+F and Econ you want to spend 3 years doing. Then apply for 5 unis for just that subject.
    ii) Write a PS that is focused on that subject. Either econ or (Accounting AND Finance).
    [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!
    All i talked about accounting is that i had an internship at an accounting firm...the rest was on maths and finance.

ReputationRep:
    [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!
    All i talked about accounting is that i had an internship at an accounting firm...the rest was on maths and finance.
    Then you should prioritise as a matter of urgency an investigation of whether you can amend your UCAS application.
    Where did you apply to and for what subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Then you should prioritise as a matter of urgency an investigation of whether you can amend your UCAS application.
    Where did you apply to and for what subjects?
    i applied a week ago for
    oxford- economics and management
    UCL-economics
    LSE -accounting and finance
    Warwick- accounting and finance
    Nottingham- finance accounting and management

ReputationRep:
    i applied a week ago for
    UCL-economics
    Then I think you have time to make changes.
    Check out:
    i)UCAS website
    ii) Applications, UCAS and claering forum on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Then I think you have time to make changes.
    Check out:
    i)UCAS website
    ii) Applications, UCAS and claering forum on TSR.
    I was just wondering if i didnt talk about accounting that much is really that important, as my friend got into mechanical engineering at southampton university with just saying engineering and not refeering to the word 'mechanical'

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if i didnt talk about accounting that much is really that important, as my friend got into mechanical engineering at southampton university with just saying engineering and not refeering to the word 'mechanical'
    You really are comapring apples and pears there.
    i.e. engineering is a very unpopular course (often in clearing even at top unis)
    and economics is a very popular course e.g. 10 applications per place at top unis.

So you can get away with an unfocused PS for engineering but not for Economics or A+F.

Do you have a backup plan of what you will do next year if you don't get any offers?

ReputationRep:
    You really are comapring apples and pears there.
    i.e. engineering is a very unpopular course (often in clearing even at top unis)
    and economics is a very popular course e.g. 10 applications per place at top unis.

So you can get away with an unfocused PS for engineering but not for Economics or A+F.

Do you have a backup plan of what you will do next year if you don't get any offers?
    ahhh.
    I thought nottingham or maybe even warwick was a back up option....

ReputationRep:
    i applied a week ago for
    UCL-economics
    :eek: I have a very similar problem!
    I'm applying to A+F for everywhere except Oxford where it's E+M and I'm not sure to write more about which

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JT)
    :eek: I have a very similar problem!
    I'm applying to A+F for everywhere except Oxford where it's E+M and I'm not sure to write more about which
    \well i personally thought that finance operates as a 90% part of economics... and that it controls how our world goes about now. e.g. look at the financial crisis atm and its impact on the world.....so i decided to base it on finance... what are your gradeS?? you can write on economics if you like

ReputationRep:
    \well i personally thought that finance operates as a 90% part of economics... and that it controls how our world goes about now. e.g. look at the financial crisis atm and its impact on the world.....so i decided to base it on finance... what are your gradeS?? you can write on economics if you like
    That's what I thought - that they are inter-linked, and I could talk about one without seeming like I'm leaving out the other, in which case I prefer to talk more about econ, but then there's also the accounting =S
    IB 38 without core =|what about you?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh.
    I thought nottingham or maybe even warwick was a back up option....
    You can check out the threads in my sig for the situation in econ. And I think it is similar with A+F. But top places for econ (and you do have 5 top places) have like 10 applicants per place. So even with a good PS and applying for the same course at all 5, your choices are still pretty aggressive. Are you additionally applying for uni in NZ or any other countries?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhhhh.....where should i apply?! :P

I'm definately applying to Nottingham and Bristol....

Taking Maths/Chem/Eco to A2, got 4 A's at AS......with physics also

6 A*'s at gcse... 2 A's..1 C
    A+C in 2 short course subject on top of the above 9

I dont know where to apply to
    i want some where with good places to go out to ... tahts why i like nottingham and bristol
    i REALLY like the look of Warwick/UCL.....but i know they both like FM so do you think i should apply to them? And if so...which one? I only want 1 top5/6 and then im undecided for the other 2 also... =( thanks

ReputationRep:
    Latest update:
    I don't have a 4th AS-level b grade. Should I still apply to Warwick?
    I would suggest not. I don't have inside knowledge on this matter but:
    i) Warwick are massively oversubscribed. and people who don't meet the AS-level requirements are easy to reject.
    ii) There is an opportunity cost to retaking an AS-level. i.e. it means there is less time to study your other subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilpenguin)
    Ahhhhhhhh.....where should i apply?! :P

I'm definately applying to Nottingham and Bristol....

Taking Maths/Chem/Eco to A2, got 4 A's at AS......with physics also

6 A*'s at gcse... 2 A's..1 C
    A+C in 2 short course subject on top of the above 9

I dont know where to apply to
    i want some where with good places to go out to ... tahts why i like nottingham and bristol
    i REALLY like the look of Warwick/UCL.....but i know they both like FM so do you think i should apply to them? And if so...which one? I only want 1 top5/6 and then im undecided for the other 2 also... =( thanks
    Then you should apply to them.
    i.e. in turns of academics 4 AS at grade a is pretty good.
    Just add in an AAB.2 banker.

Yes FM would be good. But you can't do everything!
    p.s. Have you thought about doing AS FM?
    Maybe with the help of The Furthrr Maths Network.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think my school would allow it... they kicked off some one from FM AS for getting a B in the module M2 =( and i got 262 in maths, they would basically tell me all the reasons why it was wrong so i dont think i can....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilpenguin)
    I dont think my school would allow it... they kicked off some one from FM AS for getting a B in the module M2 =( and i got 262 in maths, they would basically tell me all the reasons why it was wrong so i dont think i can....
    Well you should investigate the possibility.
    And if the school seem negative about the idea get your Parents to persuad them!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.