Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01zaporozhets)
    TOPLOV, lol.

Provided we're talking about the same thing,

the name is Topol, not Toplov.

Bit stereotypical to assume everything Russian has to end in '-ov'.

As for just how mental they are, they're not mental at all - certainly in the sense that they don't want to start a nuclear war more than anyone else - they're just acting mental to try and scare the West, and judging by this thread it seems to be working a treat.

They've picked a moment when the economy and military have partially recovered, popular support for the Medvedev-Putin bloc is at its peak (the whole Georgia affair was used for precisely that purpose, as a propaganda tool), the price of oil is high, their position in the energy markets is strong, and the West is too bogged down with problems of its own to take any serious military action.
    And now they're being aggressive to try and press home the advantage. (A few goals have already been achieved, for example the disruption of oil transit through the Georgian pipelines.) The plan is to pretend to be crazy, wave some nukes around and the West will feel it is safer to make a few concessions than retaliate. Made more likely to succeed by how much they stereotype the Russians, and as such genuinely believe the whole Kremlin is insane. I can assure you Putin and Medvedev are both perfectly sane, they're both very intelligent.

Exactly, :yep: in my opinion what theyve been doing over the last five years has been anything but insane and mental. They played along under the gracious loser guise for the whole of the 90's which was fine by America and Britain, but now they are regaining control mainly due to their oil/gas advantage. and The west dont like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    If one believes in God, then he or she must believe in a god's plan; hence anything that will happen should have happened...we are all god's tools.
    Well, you're a tool anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, you're a tool anyway.
    I'm guessing you are the punk-rock atheist anarchist type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    I'm guessing you are the punk-rock atheist anarchist type?
    Ha.

Anyway, what has religion got to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    Can I just ask - how many people on here actually have any awareness of 'the Cold War era'? I don't mean to be funny but as I see more and more of this scaremongering I see less fact and more superstition being brought to bear on this. I hold my hands up and say I'm too young to have any proper memories despite being born in the mid-1980s. The fact is, if you read the research done on people in the former-Eastern Bloc the Cold War appears more and more to be merely a political gesturing.

We're not living in an age of Mutually Assured Destruction. We're living in an age where Russia is flexing its muscles in the last throws of a very unpopular American government hoping it can gain some leverage in its own sphere of influence whilst people are too busy watching Obama maskerade in a football stadium.

Can we please gain a bit of decorum and remember that it is up to us to demonstrate and petition our governments - wherever they may be - and ensure they don't quickly move to the MAD button. Please?
    I agree with all of this, it's not the Russians I'm worried about, it's NATO.

It's amazing that in the face of the almost laughable if it wasn't so tragic 'War on Terror' a lot of people think wars have 'goodies and baddies'.

I'm seriously considering joining CND. People attitudes worry me immensely when it comes to nuclear weapons, almost thinking in computer game terms. I've also read on other forums people suggesting war with Russia would be winnable, citing that Migs aren't as good as Harriers etc! I don't think a lot of people realise that WW3 would be over in half an hour, with no victor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donmcl777)
    Exactly, :yep: in my opinion what theyve been doing over the last five years has been anything but insane and mental. They played along under the gracious loser guise for the whole of the 90's which was fine by America and Britain, but now they are regaining control mainly due to their oil/gas advantage. and The west dont like it.
    I'm not sure everyone in The West is entirely unhappy with it. It gives the Republicans a much more scary enemy for them to protect the american people from than the 'War on Terror' ever could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    To view this as anything but an attempt by Russia to reexert its influence in its neighborhood shows a profound ignorance of political affairs.

Were you by any chance one of those vocal anti-Iraq war people? Because I really fail to see how one can oppose a war to topple a dictator and a war to annex another country's territory. I wonder what you'd say if America went and tried to annex chunks of Iraq.
    Firstly - to topple a dictator LOL

Secondly- South Ossetia and Abkhazia had been diplomatically trying to have their independence recognized since the early 90's. American backed georgia made the first move invading the much smaller and helpless south Ossetia. untill they ran up against the Russian army who had entered the foray to help South Ossetia. and like the cowards that most bullies are georgia retreated back home, and complained loudly to their western puppetmasters.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly - to topple a dictator LOL
    Eh, well Saddam did get removed, you can't really argue that point. And yes, he was a very bad man.
    But the US+UK seriously dropped the ball on the Iraq situation, but there's probably thousands of pages of debate in the history of TSR on the Iraq war, so best drop that discussion here.

Secondly- South Ossetia and Abkhazia had been diplomatically trying to have their independence recognized since the early 90's.
    I know, but it's kinda weird, isn't it? That they'll have fought ALL this time for independance, and after a couple of days they decide to relinquish it and decide to become a part of Russia. Hmm, doesn't really fit.

American backed georgia made the first move invading the much smaller and helpless south Ossetia.
    Nice piece of spin there, by saying 'America backed Georgia', you insinuate that the US orchastrated the incident, in line with what Putin has been saying recently. Clever stuff.

Concerning your last point, although it's like reading through a Daily Mail article, I agree - Georgia acted irresponsibly. As was decided the moment they took the action. I swear, is the discussion actually going around in circles?

EDIT: Might as well nip this one as well -
    (Original post by 01zaporozhets)

Bit stereotypical to assume everything Russian has to end in '-ov'
    Not really, I just misread the article. Wasn't really satirising Russian at all, just a simple mistake.
    So please, less patronising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Eh, well Saddam did get removed, you can't really argue that point. And yes, he was a very bad man.
    But the US+UK seriously dropped the ball on the Iraq situation, but there's probably thousands of pages of debate in the history of TSR on the Iraq war, so best drop that discussion here.

I know, but it's kinda weird, isn't it? That they'll have fought ALL this time for independance, and after a couple of days they decide to relinquish it and decide to become a part of Russia. Hmm, doesn't really fit.

Nice piece of spin there, by saying 'America backed Georgia', you insinuate that the US orchastrated the incident, in line with what Putin has been saying recently. Clever stuff.

Concerning your last point, although it's like reading through a Daily Mail article, I agree - Georgia acted irresponsibly. As was decided the moment they took the action. I swear, is the discussion actually going around in circles?

EDIT: Might as well nip this one as well -

Not really, I just misread the article. Wasn't really satirising Russian at all, just a simple mistake.
    So please, less patronising.

1. if you had understood properly i was lauding the fact that some people seem to think the main reason for invading Iraq was to oust Saddam, very naive. and no i dont think we will drop this topic because it is hugely relevant to this discussion and the Western hypocrisy involved.

2. Hmmm no it doesnt does it, thats because youve got it wrong, they have not become part of Russia. Russia has simply recognised their independance.

3.But Georgia was backed by America from the Arms used down to the money spent. so surely its fact as much as spin.

If you dont know what your talking about(which you obviously dont) or dont like were this discussion is going, then it is as esy as this........Leave

ReputationRep:
    Aww, the helpless South Ossetia who was bombing Georgian villages before this war and who's committing ethnic cleansing against Georgians as we speak. Let me get a napkin.
    If you had done any kind of research you would know that this is a claim by the Georgians, denied by the South Ossetians. Just as the South Ossetian's claimed that Georgian forces opened up with machine gun fire on their positions.

ReputationRep:
    1. if you had understood properly i was lauding the fact that some people seem to think the main reason for invading Iraq was to oust Saddam, very naive. and no i dont think we will drop this topic because it is hugely relevant to this discussion and the Western hypocrisy involved.
    Well, fine, talk to a wall about it then. If you don't think the west knows the Iraq war was badly executed already, then you should open your eyes. But keep hammering on about it, by all means.

2. Hmmm no it doesnt does it, thats because youve got it wrong, they have not become part of Russia. Russia has simply recognised their independance.
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ory?id=5683409

"Adding to the tension, a lawmaker in South Ossetia said Friday that Russia intends to eventually absorb the breakaway province "

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...837456,00.html

"Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and the region's leader, Eduard Kokoity, discussed the future of South Ossetia earlier this week in Moscow, South Ossetian parliamentary speaker Znaur Gassiyev said.

Russia will absorb South Ossetia "in several years" or earlier, a position was "firmly stated by both leaders," Gassiyev said.

Hmm. Doesn't really add up. I'll admit that it's still not certain concerning the lack of an official response from Moscow, but still - South Ossetia seems all too keen to become part of Russia - which would go against it's cries for Independence.

3.But Georgia was backed by America from the Arms used down to the money spent. so surely its fact as much as spin.
    And the South Ossetian rebels were firing on Georgian positions first. And the rebels were supplied by Russia. So yeah, both the US and Russia are to blame.

If you dont know what your talking about(which you obviously dont) or dont like were this discussion is going, then it is as esy as this........Leave
    Christ, down to personal insults already? Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    If you did any research on the matter, you'd see that this claim is being made by Human Rights Watch.

Ohhhhhh my goshhhh i am so sorryyy i had no idea that the mighty Human Rights watch had made the claim. It means it must be true lol

Knowing the HRW a few georgians probably broke a nail and the HRW saw a chance to get on tv again, seeing as the public are bored of Iraq now.

ReputationRep:
    It's time for another world power, one that isn't cuddly with the US. This way, we ensure they both behave themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, we all know Human Rights Watch, who constantly criticizes America, is a stooge of the West. :rolleyes: And its evidence must all be fabrications, because they don't agree with your view of Russians as saviors of civilization.
    The Human rights watch is neither a stooge of the west or East it is merely a group of attention seekers, who stoop as low as claiming human rights of peadophiles and rapists, just for a slot on CNN or BBC news. Thankfully most important people in the world choose to ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    It's time for another world power, one that isn't cuddly with the US. This way, we ensure they both behave themselves.

GO SWITZERLAND!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Europe is the obvious candidate but is simply too hopeless and gutless to step up to the plate. An economic giant but the political and military pipsqueek.

ReputationRep:
    Europe is the obvious candidate but is simply too hopeless and gutless to step up to the plate. An economic giant but the political and military pipsqueek.

"Military pipsqueek" Explain (with facts) Plz

ReputationRep:
    Europe doesn't have the balls to stand up to America. Anyone but Europe please.

ReputationRep:
    They probably don't want to inflame the situation by making these kind of claims right now.

Pft! So we must listen to the intelligence geniuses at HRW (probably some secretary on $14k a year looking at Google Earth during her lunch break) because British and American Intelligence is too scared to speak the truth? Haha! What a complete cop out answer Bis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Europe doesn't have the balls to stand up to America. Anyone but Europe please.
    Europe wouldn't have the balls to take on San Marino if it got a bit lairy.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.