The Big Thread for A-level Choices Watch

Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ignoramus)
Hi, if I pick up a Further Maths AS/A2 in Year 13, do you think it will advantage my medicine application in any way? Is it even recognised by unis for medicine?
further maths isn't considered as a separate A level so you'd have to do 3 + the further maths
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
You're already doing 6 A2s, so I can't imagine that whether you do a 7th or not will make any difference.

(Do it, it's fun, not that I'm biased or anything.)
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your signature made me feel ill, OP.

Chiko 1001
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on the university. Glasgow, for example, count maths and further maths as one A level. Best to call the admissions teams for the universities you are thinking about applying to.
Jenova
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ignoramus)
GCSEs
13A* - Maths, English Language, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, History, Sociology, RS, Food Technology, Latin, Music
1A - Statistics

AS
Biology
A Chemistry (269/300)
A Physics (246/300)
Maths
Music
a Latin; 1 module (90/90)

A2
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Music
Latin
How have you already got all those AS results!?!

If you get straight A's I will bow down to you.
hazzypants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
On a separate note, I am doing Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Psychology at AS Level. Does studying Psychology in any way limit my choices for medical school? I've heard that Birmingham don't like it, but other than that I'm not too sure! Thanks for any help
Yeh, i was just about to say,before I read your post properly. Bham said today at the open day that they don't like psych and bio or pe and bio or maths and further, due to the "overlap", but yeh!
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Birmingham seem very fussy!
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OH MY GOSH you always seemed way older than year 12 =\
I'm not quite sure of your situation, are you just starting year 12 or 13? Most unis I've looked at for medicine say they only accept one out of maths and further maths, but if you teach yourself further maths or do it as an extra subject on top of others it could give you a little advantage. But don't take it as one of your main 3 as I don't think it'd help in that respect. If you're taking it simply to help your medical application, you'd be better off spending your time doing work experience or getting As in your other subjects or something extra curricular. Lemme know if I can try to help a bit more. I did further maths for AS last year and I'm planning on doing medicine so yeah just thought I'd explain my situation
Aaron_1507
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Right you have all heard this a million times before but the question is whether to take further maths or not? It would mean the period that im playing to do 'care in the community' would be dedicated to doing maths and an after school lesson once a week aswell as no frees. Quite obviously im posting in this thread because i want to do medicine and in some ways i know the answer myself however i just wanted to see other peoples opinion on it. Would it be better not to do it and do w/e instead and have a bit more free time?
Aaron_1507
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Right you have all heard this a million times before but the question is whether to take further maths or not? It would mean the period that im playing to do 'care in the community' would be dedicated to doing maths and an after school lesson once a week aswell as no frees. Quite obviously im posting in this thread because i want to do medicine and in some ways i know the answer myself however i just wanted to see other peoples opinion on it. Would it be better not to do it and do w/e instead and have a bit more free time?
chernij
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest if you are doing "Care in community", and have to use that time instead to do Further Maths, I wouldn't do it.
I want to do medicine, and I'm doing Further Maths, however it only takes up "enrichment" time, plus the fact I love maths.
You would be perfectly fine going into university with your 4 choices at AS and A2 (even dropping to 3 at A2), from what I have heard elsewhere.
Also, with all the work needed for further maths, do you not feel you would be pushing yourself too far if you will have no frees, and an after school lesson and so on?
Aaron_1507
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chernij)
To be honest if you are doing "Care in community", and have to use that time instead to do Further Maths, I wouldn't do it.
I want to do medicine, and I'm doing Further Maths, however it only takes up "enrichment" time, plus the fact I love maths.
You would be perfectly fine going into university with your 4 choices at AS and A2 (even dropping to 3 at A2), from what I have heard elsewhere.
Also, with all the work needed for further maths, do you not feel you would be pushing yourself too far if you will have no frees, and an after school lesson and so on?
Yeah true are you doing 3 sciences maths and further maths then?
chernij
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aaron_1507)
Yeah true are you doing 3 sciences maths and further maths then?
I going to, but I decided that doing 5 AS Levels wasn't necessary, and would use literally all of my time.
As I love maths, I dropped Physics, so I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths for AS this year, and want to carry them all onto A2 if possible.
Because I didn't do Physics, I know have quite a lot of frees to do my Further Maths work in
Hygeia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chernij)
I going to, but I decided that doing 5 AS Levels wasn't necessary, and would use literally all of my time.
As I love maths, I dropped Physics, so I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths for AS this year, and want to carry them all onto A2 if possible.
Because I didn't do Physics, I know have quite a lot of frees to do my Further Maths work in
you might have a slight problem with your choice of ASs - most unis want 3 full A2s and another subject at AS (usually not counting further maths) - just something it might be worth looking into
chernij
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kate0904)
you might have a slight problem with your choice of ASs - most unis want 3 full A2s and another subject at AS (usually not counting further maths) - just something it might be worth looking into
Thanks for the advice
I heard that most of my choices of university that I'm thinking of going to count Further Maths as a subject at AS and A2, according to a university lecturer.
Apparently it's becoming less common for universities not to count FM.
Thanks though
Amrito-Dorito
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A-level. Maths at As level. 3 offers.

Bio and Chem essential. Final doesn't matter as long as it uses the brain in a productive manner.
Amrito-Dorito
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Before its deleted... Any of the 2 is fine.
Aaron_1507
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kinza)
could you delete this thread now please
why?
username196656
Report 10 years ago
oaps sorry! my bad
shivangee
Report 10 years ago
i have decided to do medicine and my a level options are
chem
bio
german
history
general studies
and people i know have taken maths and i am getting worried that my optiona arent very medical unlike others who do
bio
chem
maths
further maths
physics
are my options ok honestly thank you
shivangee =]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.34%
No - I got the required grades (97)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (21)
12.57%

Watched Threads