Turn on thread page Beta

No, I think a minority of students are drug users. We are smart enough to know they are harmful for us.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the666thmessiah)
    This is all asumption, The Collins English Dictionary may not even be right, as enlightenment remains subjective, and individual. Enlightenment could be seen as the epiphany that one would have when they realize that nothing is truly rubish as long as it matters for the individual. And as for the arguement that its simply pretentious brain damage?... No. do some reading on the popular psychadelics such as psilocybin/psilocilin, LSD, mescaline, and DMT, or even MDMA, and quote any direct damage that can be had from taking these. Many people claim to have had their lives made better by drug usage or religious experience, and if this results in the fact that it excludes them from the majority 'logic', because dismmissive and opionionated individuals would not accept that someone has experienced something they have some or other dispostion to, it does not mean that we should dismiss it in any way.

Just because the inofrmation is not applicable to an outside sense does not mean it is useless information.

And as for where did hippies get us?... nowhere, this is true, but what would have happened if hippies did get us places, what if the likes of even bob marley, who could be considered hippy by his lyrics, got what he wanted for the world???
    Uh, of course the Colllins English dictionary is right, you moron. Sure, enlightenment is subjective and individual, i.e. it can mean something different for different users (is that what you mean?), but it still has to be inspired by something, by a new observation or learning. What have you actually "learned" from taking psychadelics?

If it's not applicable to an outside sense, how is it not useless?

And lastly, yeah, if hippies got their way, the world probably would be very nice, but just being grotesquely idealistic seems like a waste of everyones time.

I just don't see why you're advocating drug use. Fine, try it, but don't boast about it when you see loads of messed up people. I don't know much about DMT and mescaline, but MDMA can permanently mess up serotonin receptors - these affect many things including mood. I've got friends who have changed loads after regular heavy ecstasy use. My dads a social worker, he's seen people sectioned after taking LSD (they often get better, but nevertheless it's a pretty lame experience).

ReputationRep:
    Not every student is a drug user, some do it, some dont. i for example have done a bit of weed and that's it, one of my friends does MDMA every other weekend, and another has never even touched a cigarrette in her life! Its a huge mix!

ReputationRep:
    For me; never.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celery Jon)
    Uh, of course the Colllins English dictionary is right, you moron. Sure, enlightenment is subjective and individual, i.e. it can mean something different for different users (is that what you mean?), but it still has to be inspired by something, by a new observation or learning. What have you actually "learned" from taking psychadelics?

If it's not applicable to an outside sense, how is it not useless?

And lastly, yeah, if hippies got their way, the world probably would be very nice, but just being grotesquely idealistic seems like a waste of everyones time.

I just don't see why you're advocating drug use. Fine, try it, but don't boast about it when you see loads of messed up people. I don't know much about DMT and mescaline, but MDMA can permanently mess up serotonin receptors - these affect many things including mood. I've got friends who have changed loads after regular heavy ecstasy use. My dads a social worker, he's seen people sectioned after taking LSD (they often get better, but nevertheless it's a pretty lame experience).
    What I meant when i said that the dictionary MAY be wrong is that enlightenment is not absolute as it subjective, so an occurance of enlightenment could be well beyond what a dictionary says about it. For example, an enlightenment such as: All langauge is simply a model for expression, and expression is only an outward display of internal realizations that could never be truely understood even by the one having them, therefore, all decriptive or observationl analys' and langauge is wrong (just an example)

And I am not advocating drug use, all i stated was that i intend on doing it again because i enjoyed it.

Yes, there are so many stories out there, i concede on that point, and as stated by many people before, its down to the individual to use and not abuse. However, also remember that the only stories out there are the bad ones because no-one wants to know about somones enjoyable drug experience, they only want th ammunition to feed their dissmisal of usage..

Also, there have been less MDMA poisioned deaths than alcohol can be accounted for witin a year.

Heard of Bill Hicks?
    watch these if you want...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1Cv...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yfe0_g6z7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6o...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Manchester University and know people who have done drugs from weed up to cocaine/ketamine/ecstasy

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.