The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
chairboy1
private school lol how dare you :P

i go to a state school, always have done from reception to now (yr 13?).

it is a grammar school though (we still have 11+ here) so it is probably similar in some ways, such as exam results. we get around 5-10% people per year into oxbridge so they (the teachers) know what they're on about

5-10% jesus, that's still quite a lot in my view...actually, how many are in your year? lol

What's funny is that I'm in a state comphrehensive school now and more people get into oxbridge there than I think my old school, which was a private all boys boarding school haha.
Sammerz
5-10% jesus, that's still quite a lot in my view...actually, how many are in your year? lol

What's funny is that I'm in a state comphrehensive school now and more people get into oxbridge there than I think my old school, which was a private all boys boarding school haha.

Lol I thought it was loads too.

My sixth form college sends about 5 or so people to Oxbridge every year I think, but that's out of just under a thousand. :shifty: My secondary school sent 2 or 3 to Oxbridge in probably its entire history :woo:

It's really weird though that so many people from the same school would go to the same university. You'd surely as an admissions tutor start thinking, "God, one of them again."
Sammerz

bout 200 in each year, and it will be one of highest as the school is always near the top of league table for A level results.

necessarily benevolent
I think it's wrong in any case for them to stop your friend applying. As long as the grades are decent (a mixture of A*s, As and Bs) and AAA is predicted there's always the possibility they'll get in. They are the grounds for interview which is ultimately the big daddy of the selection procedure. They'd only differentiate between a 2A*er and a 9A*er in borderline cases (which, due to the increasing use of admissions tests and second interviews, are getting rarer).

they havn't actually stopped him, they've basicallyjust told him that he probably wouldn't get in and that he'd be better off putting all his effort getting into durham/ warwick or another red brick uni rather than waste one of his 5 choices and have to send off your application early (showing the other unis that you've applied to oxbridge, meaning they know they're not first choice which despite what the unis say does affect whether they offer you a place)
I am so confused. I might be applying for Law and I finished my personal statement last term and according to my teachers it's really good which probably means I am wasting my time and should just give up.

AS - BBDD
A2 Predictions - AABC and I didn't speak to any of my teachers about predicting me higher or anything.

Because Law is really cut throat I know I might/will get 5 rejections and I'm applying for a couple of gap year schemes as well.

But the real question is where should I apply to now.

I have looked at the TSR list of unis that offer Law according to their grades and there are places that I could probably get offers from but I don't really want to go there.

For now:
Exeter - AAA - AAB
Leicester - AAA including general studies

and I don't know where else.

I am applying to Cambridge even though I won't get in but because I am hoping I might get an interview so it can serve as a practice for when I apply next year.

I know I am incredibly stupid to een think I will get an interview from Cambridge but it's only one place on my application.

Now I really don't know where else to apply but I am doing resits.

Also is there a way I can get the list of unis in extra and clearing just to see what they are and can I apply without my head of sixth form seeing where I apply to because I know he will have a good laugh?
chairboy1
bout 200 in each year, and it will be one of highest as the school is always near the top of league table for A level results.

they havn't actually stopped him, they've basicallyjust told him that he probably wouldn't get in and that he'd be better off putting all his effort getting into durham/ warwick or another red brick uni rather than waste one of his 5 choices and have to send off your application early (showing the other unis that you've applied to oxbridge, meaning they know they're not first choice which despite what the unis say does affect whether they offer you a place)

They will not know whether they've applied to Oxbridge or not. I think about ten applications at my school have been sent off for none-Oxbridge/Medicine applicants already, and the internal deadline for the main stream of applicants is about the 10th of October. It's usually just something schools use as an excuse to stop people they don't think are capable from applying.
chairboy1

This is just an assumption though - I wanted to apply early for Durham as well, mainly because I was paranoid my chosen college would fill up and I'd get passed on to somewhere else - plus a lot of other people applying to Durham would be going for Oxbridge too.

Frankly, I'm so neurotic that even if I weren't applying to Oxbridge I would have tried to get it in this early. Besides if I got an offer from UCL I would decline any hypothetical Cambridge place in a heartbeat.
necessarily benevolent
They will not know whether they've applied to Oxbridge or not. I think about ten applications at my school have been sent off for none-Oxbridge/Medicine applicants already, and the internal deadline for the main stream of applicants is about the 10th of October. It's usually just something schools use as an excuse to stop people they don't think are capable from applying.

obv medecine is different, but unis such as durham warwick etc don't like being secind choice fact, i know one of the people currently involved in admissions at KCL (i work with his son) he used to work and imperial and said that it is sometimes considered
chairboy1
obv medecine is different, but unis such as durham warwick etc don't like being secind choice fact, i know one of the people currently involved in admissions at KCL (i work with his son) he used to work and imperial and said that it is sometimes considered

But the point is that particular unis don't know the other unis you've applied to and they cannot be certain that they're second choice to Oxbridge, because, as I've said, many schools get applications in early by internal policy.
chairboy1

This is still bugging me though. What if I went to Durham and really loved it, preferred the course to Cambridge and decided to go there instead? How do they know I won't do that? Are they that up themselves that they'll forego a student they'd otherwise want because of the vague possibility that said student might be applying somewhere else?

Not everyone thinks Oxbridge is the be all and end all. A better solution would be merely to make more offers. Rather than be a complete petulant arse about it.
sleekchic
I am so confused. I might be applying for Law and I finished my personal statement last term and according to my teachers it's really good which probably means I am wasting my time and should just give up.

AS - BBDD
A2 Predictions - AABC and I didn't speak to any of my teachers about predicting me higher or anything.

Because Law is really cut throat I know I might/will get 5 rejections and I'm applying for a couple of gap year schemes as well.

But the real question is where should I apply to now.

I have looked at the TSR list of unis that offer Law according to their grades and there are places that I could probably get offers from but I don't really want to go there.

For now:
Exeter - AAA - AAB
Leicester - AAA including general studies

and I don't know where else.

I am applying to Cambridge even though I won't get in but because I am hoping I might get an interview so it can serve as a practice for when I apply next year.

I know I am incredibly stupid to een think I will get an interview from Cambridge but it's only one place on my application.

Now I really don't know where else to apply but I am doing resits.

Also is there a way I can get the list of unis in extra and clearing just to see what they are and can I apply without my head of sixth form seeing where I apply to because I know he will have a good laugh?

It's only been 20 minutes but anyone?
Reply 130
chairboy1
What absolute rubbish! Every year Oxbridge rejects far more great candidates than they can take: do you really think that other top universities are going to turn them away? This is a myth that does the rounds every year, and it's complete nonsense. People get rejected for all sorts of reasons, but applying to Oxbridge is definitely not one of them.
did i say they would be outright rejected?? no, but if they have two applicants of equal academic ability, both good interview and PS, it could/ has/ will affect their choice.
Reply 132
chairboy1

lol you seem to know a lot of people
Reply 133
chairboy1
did i say they would be outright rejected?? no, but if they have two applicants of equal academic ability, both good interview and PS, it could/ has/ will affect their choice.
As no uni admissions department has the information about which other unis people have applied to, whatever tie-breaker they use it isn't that one! Unis are not even allowed to ask you which other places you have applied to. The only time unis get to see where else you applied is after you have made your Firm and Insurance choices from the offers you did get. Unis use this information to find out who their 'competitors' are.
Minerva
As no uni admissions department has the information about which other unis people have applied to, whatever tie-breaker they use it isn't that one! Unis are not even allowed to ask you which other places you have applied to. The only time unis get to see where else you applied is after you have made your Firm and Insurance choices from the offers you did get. Unis use this information to find out who their 'competitors' are.

if you've sent your apllication off really early/ around oxbridge deadline and you're not applying for medecine then it's very likely that they will think you are applying for oxbridge, therefore putting them second

ps, i've had 5 or 6 sizeable informal conversations with the guy from KCL, i'm not bull*********** lol
nemnem
lol you seem to know a lot of people

not really lol, just happens that a few of the people i know are quite important/ relevant to TSR related stuff
Use only 4 of your 5 possible applications and you'll so neatly avoid 5 rejections.
Reply 137
mr_jr
Use only 4 of your 5 possible applications and you'll so neatly avoid 5 rejections.

That tickled me.
Much appreciated!
Reply 138
chairboy1
if you've sent your apllication off really early/ around oxbridge deadline and you're not applying for medecine then it's very likely that they will think you are applying for oxbridge, therefore putting them second
Not at all; many schools get their students to send in applications early, in the (mistaken) belief that this increases the chances of getting offers - it doesn't, but never mind. The point is that unis do not know where else candidates have applied; they can speculate all they want, but don't know. Admissions Tutors are looking for the best candidates, and are not going to reject someone on the basis that they just might have applied to a 'rival'.

chairboy1
ps, i've had 5 or 6 sizeable informal conversations with the guy from KCL, i'm not bull*********** lol
Yes, you are, I'm afraid.
Reply 139
chairboy1

I was just reading another thread about how you can apply to oxbridge before the deadline and then apply to other unis later so theoretically if someone was really bothered they could just do that surely hence university's would never know whether or not someone had applied to oxbridge sooo it would be stupid of them to guess where applicants have applied surely...
man i'm so confused

Latest

Trending

Trending