Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    You hippies want to shut down industry in the USA by claiming that there is climate change.
    Global warming is a capitalist's wet dream, the whole scare is creating NEW markets for SCARED consumers.

If by "industry" you're talking about oil and gas companies, then they're the devil anyway, and are not only to blame for the whole problem, but raping both the planet and the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali567149)
    Go to chernobyl and see the place and you will notice a city that has been recalimed by nature. Nuclear has to be part of the solution now as it is what is avaliable, as change in society behaviour takes time.
    Yes nature will always reclaim, but that doesnt make it alright. What happpens if theres a nuclear disaster somewhere like the UK? They are also a huge risk to social security and are a sitting target for terrorist attacks.

A change in society takes time yes.. but nuclear power will also need 15-20 years (which we dont have) until its generating anough power to be useful, and then we'll only have around 50 years until uranium shortages. In the mean time these power stations (10 to cover the UK alone) need to be built from lots of parts will will all be manufactured and processed in plants powered by coal/gas power.

It is possible without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Yes nature will always reclaim, but that doesnt make it alright. What happpens if theres a nuclear disaster somewhere like the UK? They are also a huge risk to social security and are a sitting target for terrorist attacks.

A change in society takes time yes.. but nuclear power will also need 15-20 years (which we dont have) until its generating anough power to be useful, and then we'll only have around 50 years until uranium shortages. In the mean time these power stations (10 to cover the UK alone) need to be built from lots of parts will will all be manufactured and processed in plants powered by coal/gas power.

It is possible without.
    You are one of these people who like to challenge arguments without giving a better answer. Cutting our energy demands to a level where we can have any impact on global warming would mean completely changing our current way of living, that is not going to happen in the time scale needed. It would also be disastrous economically, as without a cheap source of power industry in this country would collapse. Nuclear power offers a clean and safe way to produce power. It produces waste but where with is left is completely up to us. I don't think terrorism is an issue, as this is only really a problem where a large number of the pubic have access to a location, this would not happen on a power plant. No one is saying it is perfect but it provides a short term solution and buys us time which is what we need.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should watch this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dhlgl/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    You hippies want to shut down industry in the USA by claiming that there is climate change.
    Sure, dude; sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she)
    But they won't. Trust me, they won't.

ReputationRep:
    Methane (a much stronger greenhouse gas than co2 has started being released into the atmosphere at really quick rates). This basically translates to us all being royally ******.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...mb-938932.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal)
    But they won't. Trust me, they won't.
    And if they do they'd just ignore it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she)
    I really enjoyed that series.

He has a cool accent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she)
    And if they do they'd just ignore it anyway.
    Some people have REAL problems, yeah? Like remembering to Sky+ Hollyoaks.

ReputationRep:
    For those too lazy to read the article I posted:

"In the past few days, the researchers have seen areas of sea foaming with gas bubbling up through "methane chimneys" rising from the sea floor. They believe that the sub-sea layer of permafrost, which has acted like a "lid" to prevent the gas from escaping, has melted away to allow methane to rise from underground deposits formed before the last ice age.

They have warned that this is likely to be linked with the rapid warming that the region has experienced in recent years.

Methane is about 20 times more powerful as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide and many scientists fear that its release could accelerate global warming in a giant positive feedback where more atmospheric methane causes higher temperatures, leading to further permafrost melting and the release of yet more methane.

The amount of methane stored beneath the Arctic is calculated to be greater than the total amount of carbon locked up in global coal reserves so there is intense interest in the stability of these deposits as the region warms at a faster rate than other places on earth."

ReputationRep:
    Some people have REAL problems, yeah? Like remembering to Sky+ Hollyoaks.

Yeah well they'll soon have other problems :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she)
    "In the past few days, the researchers have seen areas of sea foaming with gas bubbling up through "methane chimneys" rising from the sea floor. They believe that the sub-sea layer of permafrost, which has acted like a "lid" to prevent the gas from escaping, has melted away to allow methane to rise from underground deposits formed before the last ice age.
    underground deposits of what? i can't see how this methane is generated.

but, yeah, i've heard stuff like this before. sudden eruptions of methane from the seafloor have even been used to explain ship disappearences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she)
    Yeah well they'll soon have other problems :p:
    I like the idea of everyone who's not a skeptic being the first to be saved? So we get to go and live in the underground caves first, and all those people who refused to recycle and left their TVs on standby, they can stay outside.

I like that idea.

ReputationRep:
    so the last 5 years I have been hearing this global warming thing. The planet is heating up!!!!! look what is happening around the world????!!!!

Oh look the planet isnt as bad as it looks, lets call it climate change.

Oh look the planet is now cooling down due to global warming, now look what we've done!!!!!????

Why the hell through looking at previous GMT figures would someone want to care about stupid "Climate change"???

the climate has always changed and always will!!!

ReputationRep:
    so the last 5 years I have been hearing this global warming thing. The planet is heating up!!!!! look what is happening around the world????!!!!

Oh look the planet is now cooling down due to global warming, now look what we've done!!!!!????

Why the hell through looking at previous GMT figures would someone want to care about stupid "Climate change"???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    You are one of these people who like to challenge arguments without giving a better answer. Cutting our energy demands to a level where we can have any impact on global warming would mean completely changing our current way of living, that is not going to happen in the time scale needed. It would also be disastrous economically, as without a cheap source of power industry in this country would collapse. Nuclear power offers a clean and safe way to produce power. It produces waste but where with is left is completely up to us. I don't think terrorism is an issue, as this is only really a problem where a large number of the pubic have access to a location, this would not happen on a power plant. No one is saying it is perfect but it provides a short term solution and buys us time which is what we need.
    I cant give a better answer because there is no answer. NOTHING can happen in the timescale needed - not large scale social change, not nuclear, not 'clean coal', not large scale renewables.. so we need to look at which can happen gradually to at least minimise the effects. If we rely on nuclear or other supposedly 'clean' sources, we will continue this carbon-rich way of life for 20 years and just expect an answer to fall on our doorstep.. now im no climate scientist, i dont know what we need to do or how far we need to go but no matter what the answer will be, we CANNOT keep living lke this for 20 years!

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of everyone who's not a skeptic being the first to be saved? So we get to go and live in the underground caves first, and all those people who refused to recycle and left their TVs on standby, they can stay outside.

I like that idea.
    The underground caves would be flooded though. How about mountain caves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnyHouse)

Global warming isn't necessarily about everywhere feeling hot. I hate that arguement that climate change deniers try to use :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    underground deposits of what? i can't see how this methane is generated.

but, yeah, i've heard stuff like this before. sudden eruptions of methane from the seafloor have even been used to explain ship disappearences.
    Underground deposits of methane??

Anyway, I once (long ago) heard something about plants being swept into the ocean or something and how dead trees release methane.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.