Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You must get Living Economy by Jenny Scott, it is a quality look at Economics for the layman. Or the book by Stanlake, I forget what it's called (I only used it as far as AS) but it is really good too, though it is really heavy and back-breaking. But you must get the Scott book! £12.50 by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem..

I tried reading this introduction... http://tinyurl.com/scph - it was alright, and helped to a degree, the problem being it is absolutely dripping with his own political opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    game theory
    what is this exactly? can you revise for it or is it just rational thinking? :confused:

I have always wondered the exact same thing! In the Economics section in the Google directory, the most popular sub-directory is called "Game Theory". What on Earth is it?!

Thanks a lot Edders and ZJuwelH - so relieved that you weren't asked about graphs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantha **)
    I have always wondered the exact same thing! In the Economics section in the Google directory, the most popular sub-directory is called "Game Theory". What on Earth is it?!

Thanks a lot Edders and ZJuwelH - so relieved that you weren't asked about graphs!
    its a theory about games lol its basically a mathematical system for making an optimum choice of strategy in a situation where theres a conflict of interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    what is this exactly? can you revise for it or is it just rational thinking? :confused:
    I really enjoyed what I've read so far on game theory in Economics (I understand that there is a topic on game theory in D2 Maths but I've been told that D2 is harder than S2 so I've been told to do S2). Basically it states that firms will always choose the 'second best' option of a business plan or strategy, so as not to aid their competitiors. It is best explained by the "Prisoners' Dilemma":

Two men are caught for theft. They are held in separate interview rooms and each is offered the same deal: if they confess they will be given reduced sentences. If one confesses and the other doesn't, the one has effectively grassed up the other and the other gets the maximum sentence. Obviosly if neither confesses they both escape due to lack of evidence. But neither trusts the other to keep schtum, and hence won't abstain from confessing for fear of the max sentence. So both confess, and go down for the reduced sentence. That is game theory.

ReputationRep:

No prob Sam. Doh I really enjoy economics and find it easy (in a wierd way) so why do I prefer maths as I struggle at it?

The human mind loves a challenge; moreover, it loves the satisfaction of completing a challenge.

Quote me if I've ever known for something!! ;-)

ReputationRep:
    The human mind loves a challenge; moreover, it loves the satisfaction of completing a challenge.

Quote me if I've ever known for something!! ;-)
    Good stuff!
    Was that for me?

Yes, it was for you. It did start with "Because", but I thought that good quotes should never really start with because. ;-) Hehe!

ReputationRep:
    which course/college ru?
    im physphil/exeter
    edders, i was gona apply to exeter but i ended up applying to oriel for law.

i was choosing between exeter, oriel and keble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaeedRehman)
    edders, i was gona apply to exeter but i ended up applying to oriel for law.

i was choosing between exeter, oriel and keble
    ah righty
    well good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    they say the minimum is 5 A/A*s but it really does depend. I got 4A* 4A 3B

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    so i do stand some chance, i thought 5 A*s 5 As and 2Bs, wont get me in.

ReputationRep:
    ah righty
    well good luck
    thanks, wish you all the best 2

Saeed, I think the fact that you did 12 GCSEs will be enough! I got 6A*s, 3As, but that's only 9 exams. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    have you also applied to oxford?

also is anyone on the forum at oriel college of oxford? and / or studying law

Yes, Wadham for PPE.

purely out of interest which university do you think has a greater number of students from ethic minority backgrounds or is it about the same? I was looking at the Societies offered by both universities and it seemed that Cambridge had more 'International/Cultural' societies... but i don't kow if this in any way reflects the student populations of the universities..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    they say the minimum is 5 A/A*s but it really does depend. I got 4A* 4A 3B

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    I got no A* and only 1 A and th rest B's how do you rate my chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    I got no A* and only 1 A and th rest B's how do you rate my chance
    It depends how well you do in your A Levels.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.