First day in halls of residence. Watch

jdbennet
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
What you need:

Alarm clock
A bag for your washing
Some stuff to personalise your room. If you make it homely (same goes for communal areas, get a clock,a christmas tree whatever) it will make you les prone to homesickness
Plug adapter things. Rooms dont have many plugs normally.
An ethernet patch lead, if your uni provides broadband internet.
Bedding. I got 3 full sets (pillow case, duvet cover, sheet). Change em every week. Put them in your big wash every 2 weeks.
Pens paper etc, but you can get this at uni
All your paperwork for enrolling
Baking tray (grill pan normally provided)
Frying pan (for omlettes and bacon etc)
2 Pots - one big one smallish(dont take any more or you will end up with loads overall, you just need enough to do pasta + sauce for example)
Tupperware boxes for freezing stuff
Measuring jug
cling film
Oil.
Kinves.
Hangers.
Other cutlery. Dont take stuff you dont need. A whisk is good for omlettes.
Dishtowels
Plates, Bowls etc.... (pint glasses and shot glasses are good. Take a few tumblers for orange juice etc... and a few mugs for tea. Dont take loads and loads, just wash em after you use them.)
A pyrex casserole dish (for tuna pasta bake)
J cloths
Toiletries
Bleach and crap for cleaning bathroom
wooden spoons

By the way if everyone at the flat brings like 1 bottle of washing up liquid, sponges whatever then you will have enough for most of the first semester. same for bin bags.

you generally get a kettle and microwave included
FunLady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jdbennet)
What you need:
Thanks so much
FunLady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What you need:

How does an ethernet patch lead work? (Sorry, i'm not very technical when it comes to computers and how they work)
jdbennet
Report 9 years ago
Plug one lend into the wall port, the other end into the network card on your pc. Check your universities connection policy first. Different places do it differently (and thats IF your ini provides thier own internet in halls, in some places they dont)

Looks like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44362

Some places will rip you off. As a price guide pay £2-6 for one. 1.5m is probably more than enough as tge socket is generally under your desk.
FunLady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Plug one lend into the wall port, the other end into the network card on your pc.
Ok, can you plug them into laptops too?
And how do you know which one to buy??
cam28
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What you need:

Alarm clock
A bag for your washing
Some stuff to personalise your room. If you make it homely (same goes for communal areas, get a clock,a christmas tree whatever) it will make you les prone to homesickness
Plug adapter things. Rooms dont have many plugs normally.
Bedding. I got 3 full sets (pillow case, duvet cover, sheet). Change em every week. Put them in your big wash every 2 weeks.
Pens paper etc, but you can get this at uni
All your paperwork for enrolling
Baking tray (grill pan normally provided)
Frying pan (for omlettes and bacon etc)
2 Pots - one big one smallish(dont take any more or you will end up with loads overall, you just need enough to do pasta + sauce for example)
Tupperware boxes for freezing stuff
Measuring jug
cling film
Oil.
Kinves.
Hangers.
Other cutlery. Dont take stuff you dont need. A whisk is good for omlettes.
Dishtowels
Plates, Bowls etc.... (pint glasses and shot glasses are good. Take a few tumblers for orange juice etc... and a few mugs for tea. Dont take loads and loads, just wash em after you use them.)
A pyrex casserole dish (for tuna pasta bake)
J cloths
Toiletries
Bleach and crap for cleaning bathroom
wooden spoons

By the way if everyone at the flat brings like 1 bottle of washing up liquid, sponges whatever then you will have enough for most of the first semester. same for bin bags.

you generally get a kettle and microwave included
thanks this is really helpful!

x
alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
great advice on here.

I bet i wont know how to get my laptop online when i go to uni as im useless with computers- do they help you sort it out? May have to get my dad to do it haha
tayalouise
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
great advice on here.

I bet i wont know how to get my laptop online when i go to uni as im useless with computers- do they help you sort it out? May have to get my dad to do it haha
I think I'll be the same! Although my Mum will be moving me in and knows less than me about computers, so I'm screwed
Daisuke
Report 9 years ago
Bump for great justice.

Great list by the way.
songsXaboutXjane
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tayalouise)
I think I'll be the same! Although my Mum will be moving me in and knows less than me about computers, so I'm screwed
This may just be a great way to get a conversation started with other freshers.

To the OP: absolute genius for starting this thread. I'm more pumped than I thought I could be!

You guys have some intersting stories, I must say
jdbennet
Report 9 years ago
If you have any questions to ask someone who has done it, just say.

O yeah and P.S dont bother taking a TV, if you dont have one you will save money and make more friends
qwerty27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my move in day was fairly uneventful and a bit of an anticlimax.
I had been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Uni and i was really looking foward to it. I got there with my parents, collected my key and went inside, no one was there so i moved all my stuff in and then went to the supermarket with parents. Filled up on loads of food and took that all back to my flat and unpacked it. I said my goodbyes to parents and then began to unpack. No one turned up for another 2 or 3 hours even though i was origionally there about an hour after the specified time to collect keys.
When people did turn up, they came to say hello, had a brief pointless conversation about where we lived and then everyone went to unpack for several hours. at about 7 PM (after being there since 12) everyone had just about finished and we had a chat in the kitchen then we went out for a drink, we got drunk and i realised i had nothing in common with anyone really. So that was the first day.
Our uni moves you in before freshers week so i had 4 days of nothing to do which was sheer boredom and really depressing because i was homesick. Then freshers week came, which was totally not what everyone built it up to be, work in the day time, go out and get drunk in the evening, repeat for 7 days.

So my introduction to uni was fairly crap, but i think it was mainly due to the fact that im not especially bothered about getting drunk all the time and that i didn't have much in common with housemates. The majority of people seem to have enjoyed it more than me, so don't let my experience worry you. But that was what happened to me anyway.
FunLady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you have any questions to ask someone who has done it, just say.

O yeah and P.S dont bother taking a TV, if you dont have one you will save money and make more friends
Good advice. You never answered my previous question though about which wall port to buy??? :confused:
rachd_22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got here about 2pm (was meant to be 9 I think but had to go to family gathering first), carried my stuff into my room, unpacked a little, went into town with my mum, came back and finished unpacking. A girl I met on the student room texted me and told me to come in the kitchen as apparently we were in the same flat. Met her and a few others in my flat, mum went home, we went to find freshers bands and then went to the students union for the evening to meet other freshers. Came back (one of my flat mates got thrown out for being too drunk) and I think we went to bed.

Every day in freshers was different. The first day certainly wasn't the best. Just get out there and meet people.
animals
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
can't wait to get back to uni and move in to halls again - i'v been out too long!!
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
dont you only be in the halls for 1 year?
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by menaa-x)
dont you only be in the halls for 1 year?
Most students move out of halls and into rented houses in the second year, but it is possible to move back into halls again in some cases, if you want to, for the second year. Also, if you do a year abroad a lot of people live back in halls in their 4th year.
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ahh okay well i start uni in 2010 but im a bit confused about the accommodation.

can you only apply for accommodation at your firm choice or both your firm and second?

this is probably the wrong place to ask but thanks if you can answer it for me !
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by menaa-x)
ahh okay well i start uni in 2010 but im a bit confused about the accommodation.

can you only apply for accommodation at your firm choice or both your firm and second?

this is probably the wrong place to ask but thanks if you can answer it for me !
Again I think it depends on the uni, but most of the time you apply for accommodation at your firm choice and your insurance. I.e. I'm going to be applying soon for accommodation at Sussex and Kent, if I end up choosing those two! Usually it says on the uni website though
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Redpanda91)
Again I think it depends on the uni, but most of the time you apply for accommodation at your firm choice and your insurance. I.e. I'm going to be applying soon for accommodation at Sussex and Kent, if I end up choosing those two! Usually it says on the uni website though
ahh thats well crap i was looking at city uni in london and u can only apply for accommodation if theyre ur firm choice! =\

thanks anyway!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%