Turn on thread page Beta

Is Japan the most hated country? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Well yeah, but TSR denizens aren't exactly representative of the world population.

how on earth do you intend to get the world to answer this question?!?! it is a small representation from a selection of different countries i cant answer on behalf of the world and nobody on TSR can.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Check out the rest of the thread for more.
    Ah, well you did kill about 60 million people of asian background mainly.

But it's all in the past now. Things happen during war, crimes are committed.

We don't hate the German do we? Well then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    well the germans i know mostly quite indignantly refuse to apologise for something they didnt do. do you have a source for that?

40 years of sincere apologies for you!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ssued_by_Japan

including one by shinzo abe! although he was a bit of a questionable character, apparently.
    Well, I've written my extended essay on sexual slavery committed by the Japanese army, which was predicted an A by my superviser. If you're sufficiently interested, I could send that to you.
    You asked me for a source about the Germans feeling sorry and all. As I have stated before, I go to an international school, where there are German teachers and students as well. (A German teacher once gave our history class a presentation on WW2) They all really admit what their ancestors have done and do feel sorry. That's all I can say really. I've also been to Germany quite a few times and if the Germans do not feel ashamed of their crime, why would they broadcast documentaries about holocaust frequently?
    You are telling me that the Japanese gov have been apologizing sincerely. That really is ********, I have to say. Where is YOUR source? Is wikipedia even a reliable source? Yes, a very wise Japanese politician did once made a sincere apology about the Japanese army's crimes and mainly sexual slavery. But the Japanese conservatives tried to cancel the apology claiming "why should we apologize?". Abe did indeed make an apology. But the apology rather caused more troubles. He claimed that the sexual slavery was voluntary. I have all the sources on the Japanese sexual slavery, how the Japanese conservatives made lame and unjustifiable excuses about their ancestors' irresponsible crime, contained in my essay. But I can't be bothered to do that now. I've wasted enough time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    ni shuo riben yu (<-- not right). Women dou shuo zhongwen. ni fail.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jy9626)
    Well, I've written my extended essay on sexual slavery committed by the Japanese army, which was predicted an A by my superviser. If you're sufficiently interested, I could send that to you.
    You asked me for a source about the Germans feeling sorry and all. As I have stated before, I go to an international school, where there are German teachers and students as well. (A German teacher once gave our history class a presentation on WW2) They all really admit what their ancestors have done and do feel sorry. That's all I can say really. I've also been to Germany quite a few times and if the Germans do not feel ashamed of their crime, why would they broadcast documentaries about holocaust frequently?
    You are telling me that the Japanese gov have been apologizing sincerely. That really is ********, I have to say. Where is YOUR source? Is wikipedia even a reliable source? Yes, a very wise Japanese politician did once made a sincere apology about the Japanese army's crimes and mainly sexual slavery. But the Japanese conservatives tried to cancel the apology claiming "why should we apologize?". Abe did indeed make an apology. But the apology rather caused more troubles. He claimed that the sexual slavery was voluntary. I have all the sources on the Japanese sexual slavery, how the Japanese conservatives made lame and unjustifiable excuses about their ancestors' irresponsible crime, contained in my essay. But I can't be bothered to do that now. I've wasted enough time.
    Weren't Abe's ancestors Korean slave-owners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZahraF)
    :confused:
    His Chinglish translates as: "You speak Japanese. We all speak Chinese. You fail."

(Original post by pendragon)
    1. I also don't like whaling, or the slaughter of highly intelligent dolphins that has taken place.

2. But it is a problem that the Japanese, in their 'apologies' never acknowledged the extent of their war crimes against the Chinese, the Koreans, the 'comfort women' (civilian women forced into sexual slavery, and all to often dismissed as being willing prostitutes by the Japanese), and allied soldiers. Yes their crimes were comparable to those of the Nazi's and the Soviets, the difference is that they are systematically denied in the Japanese education system.

3. If there were textbooks in Germany that minimised and misrepresented the holocaust in the same way as Japanese textbooks deal with atrocities in China there would be justifiable international outrage. I would have no problem with official visits to the Yasukuni shrine, with all its militaristic connotations, if it were not that Japanese children grow up almost entirely ignorant of their own history as it relates to the justifiable grievances of China and Korea.

4. Then you speak to the Japanese, even charming well educated students at Oxford and they dismiss the historical record (which included relatively impartial witness from both sides of western observer) as exaggeration and feel compelled to defend Japanese honour with a response that would regarded as unforgivably offensive if it came from Germans speaking about Poles and Jews.
    1. you dont mind eating pigs, hypocrite. us in the west have nearly driven cod to extinction, hypocrite. quit searching for things to hate about japan, god.

2. Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi. "In the past, Japan, through its colonial rule and aggression, caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, particularly to those of Asian nations. Sincerely facing these facts of history, I once again express my feelings of deep remorse and heartfelt apology, and also express the feelings of mourning for all victims, both at home and abroad, in the war. I am determined not to allow the lessons of that horrible war to erode, and to contribute to the peace and prosperity of the world without ever again waging a war."

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. "I express my sympathy toward the comfort women and apologize for the situation they found themselves in." "I apologize here and now as prime minister,"

thats a pretty sincere and comprehensive apology.

so now that we have established that the last two things you said were quite incorrect, do you have any evidence to show this systematic denial. nobody has suggested that. yes there are controversies but nobody has suggested that its a systematic objective, so what amazing new evidence can you bring to light?

3. they dont so its fine.

4. yeah, because basing your opinions of a nation on a few students makes sense.

and since 90% of the rest of what youve written is crap, i guess that is too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    His Chinglish translates as: "You speak Japanese. We all speak Chinese. You fail."
    Ok, but why did it have the word women in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Weren't Abe's ancestors Korean slave-owners?
    His ancestors must have had a few Korean or Chinese or Philipenese or Dutch women as their sexual slaves in the 'comfort stations', if they were soldiers during WW2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZahraF)
    Ok, but why did it have the word women in it.
    我们('women') is Mandarin for 'we'. It's pronounced very differently to the English word 'women'.

ReputationRep:
    His ancestors must have had a few Korean or Chinese or Philipenese or Dutch women as their sexual slaves in the 'comfort stations', if they were soldiers during WW2.
    I think I'm mistaking Abe for current PM Taro Aso. Either way I'm pretty sure one of them had ancestors that owned/profited from Korean slaves working coal mines in Japan before WWII.

ReputationRep:
    OK I should really stop posting, I'm getting everything wrong on the topic of Japanese prime ministers. Turns outs Aso's father kept British POWs and Korean slaves during WWII: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...tish-PoWs.html

i know i was just thinking that i wasting my time too.

yes i have lots of german friends, lived with two for a year and spent 5 years in a very international boarding school. i lived in germany for 2.5 months when i was 16. i work for a german firm where everyone else is german, teaching german students and had a german girlfriend.. and i found the opposite, they feel no personal guilt as i gather.

yeah, so i presumed that when you stated that THE MAJORITY of germans... that you would have a source for that :rolleyes: i expect too much of the blind.

yes it is reliable. you have provided no evidence whatsoever, and i have fully backed up my argument, google the individual apologies if you want.

you are ust 100% wrong. first you complain that japan doesnt apologise, so i educate you on the 40 years of apologies, and now you complain that they arent sincere :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . puhlease.

so what, the apology wasnt cancelled - showing that the japanese government still stands by the apology, which strengthens my argument!

yes, he did say those terrible things, and then apologised, the public hated him and was later booted out of office early (well not specifically for that but still)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    YEAH!!!!111

I hate their sushi, anime, energy efficient and durable cars, puirsuit of honour. They make me sick.

(fail)
    you should be careful the rabid fangirls of JE don't start sending hatemail xD

ReputationRep:
    1. you dont mind eating pigs, hypocrite. us in the west have nearly driven cod to extinction, hypocrite. quit searching for things to hate about japan, god.

2. Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi. "In the past, Japan, through its colonial rule and aggression, caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, particularly to those of Asian nations. Sincerely facing these facts of history, I once again express my feelings of deep remorse and heartfelt apology, and also express the feelings of mourning for all victims, both at home and abroad, in the war. I am determined not to allow the lessons of that horrible war to erode, and to contribute to the peace and prosperity of the world without ever again waging a war."

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. "I express my sympathy toward the comfort women and apologize for the situation they found themselves in." "I apologize here and now as prime minister,"

thats a pretty sincere and comprehensive apology.

so now that we have established that the last two things you said were quite incorrect, do you have any evidence to show this systematic denial. nobody has suggested that. yes there are controversies but nobody has suggested that its a systematic objective, so what amazing new evidence can you bring to light?

3. they dont so its fine.

4. yeah, because basing your opinions of a nation on a few students makes sense.

and since 90% of the rest of what youve written is crap, i guess that is too.
    On your number 2, your argument is flawed. You only referred to small parts of Abe's 'apology'. Where is the rest of his apology? He clearly denied the fact that the Japanese army forced the women into sexual slaves. He said that the women voluntarily became sexual slaves. Give us his full apology or the rest of the apology, then we'll talk.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate any country...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematician!)
    I don't hate any country...
    But much of East Asia does. And that country is Japan.

ReputationRep:
    i know i was just thinking that i wasting my time too.

yes i have lots of german friends, lived with two for a year and spent 5 years in a very international boarding school. i lived in germany for 2.5 months when i was 16. i work for a german firm where everyone else is german, teaching german students and had a german girlfriend.. and i found the opposite, they feel no personal guilt as i gather.

yeah, so i presumed that when you stated that THE MAJORITY of germans... that you would have a source for that :rolleyes: i expect too much of the blind.

yes it is reliable. you have provided no evidence whatsoever, and i have fully backed up my argument, google the individual apologies if you want.

you are ust 100% wrong. first you complain that japan doesnt apologise, so i educate you on the 40 years of apologies, and now you complain that they arent sincere :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . puhlease.

so what, the apology wasnt cancelled - showing that the japanese government still stands by the apology, which strengthens my argument!

yes, he did say those terrible things, and then apologised, the public hated him and was later booted out of office early (well not specifically for that but still)
    Didn't i tell you I dont wanna waste my time pasting my sources off my essay on tsr?
    Are your sources even reliable? They're hardly reliable.
    I've said "one politician", not the government. The government still does not approve the apology.
    Research more and we'll argue. Read some books. (I had to read some books)
    Just referring to some random stuff that came out of Google does not help.
    btw, the 'German friends' you were referring to must be neo-nazis then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    But much of East Asia does. And that country is Japan.
    Yeah, but I don't. :sigh:

On your number 2, your argument is flawed. You only referred to small parts of Abe's 'apology'. Where is the rest of his apology? He clearly denied the fact that the Japanese army forced the women into sexual slaves. He said that the women voluntarily became sexual slaves. Give us his full apology or the rest of the apology, then we'll talk.
    yeah he said something like they werent forced, which is wrong. and he apologised and the public confidence in him fell even further.
    that is the entire apology. wasnt the controversial bit said elsewhere...

he apologised, and retracted the comments. what more do you ask. (and went on to be booted out of power)

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.