Turn on thread page Beta

Predictions for Federer-Roddick Wimbledon Final watch

On the serious note I think Rogers attitude is different this year because he feels he's the new champ, but to be honest the decline's begun and having a massive scare to win the title when Rafa's not involved, but was this Roddicks last chance

ReputationRep:
    I predict Roddick will win.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rg2005)
    i agree with what everyone is saying, the commentators annoyed me as they were clearly all rooting for feds but roddick was the better the player and deserved to win but they were all focussing on how federer should break the roddick serve, that really annoyed me

federers speech annoyed me, i honestly believe if roddick had played similar matches in terms of time to federer then he would have broken federer for the third time in the match

roddick worked his ass off and deserved to win, a real credit to the sport, i felt so gutted for him

and mckholin i agree with you, that short video about everyone saying well done is just rubbing it in, if only roddick won, then federer wouldn't ever get so cocky and arrogant
    And it annoys me whenever people say that the loser deserved to win. The winner was Federer, and he clearly deserved the victory.

How on EARTH was Federer arrogant!? He was humble and told the absolute TRUTH. He really is the greatest tennis player alive, and Laver, Sampras and Bjorg, other tennis legends, claim this!

"Federer wouldn't ever get so cocky and arrogant". How the hell was he arrogant. Federer haters, pah. Give him credit for goodness sake. He won, fair and square. Roddick lost. Just face it! Roddick hasn't achieved anything close to what Federer has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)
    um, i don't think federer was being arrogant? but clearly i'm in the minority here. i reckon he was just ecstatically happy and a bit out of it. he probably can't even remember what he said...and the '15' on the jacket wasn't exactly emblazoned all over the front now was it? it was just sue bloody barker was so in love with him she had to grope him to point it out.
    really don't think he's the greatest tennis player that ever lived though...i mean, he is very skilled but he is not strong. that really shows against players like roddick and nadal.

still, i was bloody happy when he won. though i really did feel for roddick! his little face! and he played so so well
    You don't win 15 grand slams without being strong.

ReputationRep:
    GTFO all of you Federer haters. stop being so bitter morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h-star)
    sarcasm isn't pretty
    that was genuine, why so defensive?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how Federer was arrogant I read this thread before I watched the interview and assumed he must've been for the majority to be saying so, but after watching it for myself, eh no he wasn't? "He played unbelievably.. I went through some tough times to and came back and won it.. So you're gonna come back and win it I hope so.. Today I was on the lucky side" That's a pretty nice thing to say to a runner-up in my opinion, no?
    And to all those saying Roddick was the one who deserved to win, why? Yes it would've been great to see it happen, it always is nice to see the underdog win, but champions are champions for a reason and so just because they're expected to win doesn't mean they deserve it any less.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of respect to Roddick; as a personality he truly is my favourite person and he played an amazing match. He really could have won today. Having said that, I tihnk people in this forum are being FAR too harsh on federer as a result of the emotion and heart displayed by roddick. This isn't fair. Federer is described as being very humble by all because he really is humble. To say he's arrogant is complete and utter rubbish- think why do all people, including Roddick himself, love the guy? And the '15' ? Did he metion it? Was it at the front of his clothing in bright Red letters with the tag line 'Greatest Ever you all suck'? Please. He didn't even accept being called the best player in the world due to Nadal's injury. You guys really need to stop allowing your love for Roddick demonise what is an amazing achievement by an amazing athelete who also so happens to be an amazing guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulapie)
    I don't understand how Federer was arrogant I read this thread before I watched the interview and assumed he must've been for the majority to be saying so, but after watching it for myself, eh no he wasn't? "He played unbelievably.. I went through some tough times to and came back and won it.. So you're gonna come back and win it I hope so.. Today I was on the lucky side" That's a pretty nice thing to say to a runner-up in my opinion, no?
    And to all those saying Roddick was the one who deserved to win, why? Yes it would've been great to see it happen, it always is nice to see the underdog win, but champions are champions for a reason and so just because they're expected to win doesn't mean they deserve it any less.
    I agree fully. Federer wasn't being arrogant at all. Even Sampras, I believe, said how humble he was in his speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    Lots of respect to Roddick; as a personality he truly is my favourite person and he played an amazing match. He really could have won today. Having said that, I tihnk people in this forum are being FAR too harsh on federer as a result of the emotion and heart displayed by roddick. This isn't fair. Federer is described as being very humble by all because he really is humble. To say he's arrogant is complete and utter rubbish- think why do all people, including Roddick himself, love the guy? And the '15' ? Did he metion it? Was it at the front of his clothing in bright Red letters with the tag line 'Greatest Ever you all suck'? Please. He didn't even accept being called the best player in the world due to Nadal's injury. You guys really need to stop allowing your love for Roddick demonise what is an amazing achievement by an amazing athelete who also so happens to be an amazing guy.
    This. Federer would not be so respected by his fellow tennis players if he was as arrogant as everyone on here is portraying him as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    Lol did you not hear Roddick get annoyed? When federer said something about being so disappointed but coming back and winning Roddick shouted something like 'but it's a bit different - you've already won it 5 times!' and rightly so; I don't think Federer could really compare the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Lol did you not hear Roddick get annoyed? When federer said something about being so disappointed but coming back and winning Roddick shouted something like 'but it's a bit different - you've already won it 5 times!' and rightly so; I don't think Federer could really compare the two.

You can't compare the two. But did Federer, in the 2 second gap before he answered the question and in his postmatch euphoria, really have the time or state of mind to compare both achievements and construct an appropriate response?

"I know how you feel" is a fairly standard line in such a situation.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't personally have said that because losing one in 6 is different to losing third in a row in most bizarre way. And it is easy, when you are in so much success, to forget the days when you were looking for one.

I dont think there is any wrongdoings but because of the way he lost it I wouldnt say something that reinforces the pain.

Only way for Roddick to forget this is to win it sometime in his career - won't be easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raudulfr)
    And it annoys me whenever people say that the loser deserved to win. The winner was Federer, and he clearly deserved the victory.

How on EARTH was Federer arrogant!? He was humble and told the absolute TRUTH. He really is the greatest tennis player alive, and Laver, Sampras and Bjorg, other tennis legends, claim this!

"Federer wouldn't ever get so cocky and arrogant". How the hell was he arrogant. Federer haters, pah. Give him credit for goodness sake. He won, fair and square. Roddick lost. Just face it! Roddick hasn't achieved anything close to what Federer has.
    don't know what game u were watching but roddick deserved to win, he may not be as gifted as federer but he still took a technically better player all the way, and only got broken when completely shattered

and federer is one of the best breakers in the game, look at the amount of times he has broken roddick and karlovic in the past, not many can do that, yet today roddick was the better of the two and he bottled it in the second set, with a bit more energy maybe he could have broken federer in the final set

and federer is the greatest of all time, in the past 6 years what he has achieved is incredible, i believe he could have beaten nadal in french if they were in the final together with the way he was playing

ReputationRep:
    Felt so gutted for Roddick...I mean that's the closest he's come to winning the Wimbledon title and to lose the final by being broken for the only time in the entire match is just bad luck. Roddick has done great in finding a new coach, getting into shape and improving his all round game...I'm sure he'll move up the rankings again in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    Roddick wasn't annoyed, he always responds like that in the during and after federers winning speeches. Stop using trying to use how you'd feel to judge how others are feeling: you're not Roddick.
    Second, it was a reasonable response. Like I said in the other thread: that was by far the lowest point in federers carrer where he saw his 'era' seemingly come to an end against an opponent he couldn't beat, even on grass. The realisation that he may never win a french open is bad enough but that even wimbledon, his home turf, belongs to Nadal hurt. Like he said 'it still hurt' he meant it, the emotion he showed after the match proves it. Sure I know where you're coming from: Roddick's never won wimbledon, federer losing after five victories- where's the comparison? Hiowever in the context of the defeat, the fall was just as devastating and the only way in which federer could empathise with roddick was to use this: the lowest point in his carreer.

ReputationRep:
    don't know what game u were watching but roddick deserved to win, he may not be as gifted as federer but he still took a technically better player all the way, and only got broken when completely shattered

and federer is one of the best breakers in the game, look at the amount of times he has broken roddick and karlovic in the past, not many can do that, yet today roddick was the better of the two and he bottled it in the second set, with a bit more energy maybe he could have broken federer in the final set

and federer is the greatest of all time, in the past 6 years what he has achieved is incredible, i believe he could have beaten nadal in french if they were in the final together with the way he was playing
    You deserve to win a match by actually winning a match. Should Roddick have won- probably, he played the better tennis but 3 years ago Federer should have won the french- he didn't, Nadal deserved to win because he won. This non-sense of confusing 'deserving' to win and 'should have' won is really endemic in this forum. You deserve to win because the combination of your physique, technique, form and mental strength is superior to that of your opponent. Yesterday Roddicks technique was better, his mental strength and form were on par but he was a little fatigued from the previous two matches; thus he lost. He didn't deserve to win, he should have won, but he lost and federer deserved to win.

Oh and for the people who are adament that federer had an easy route to the final: Tommy Haas played better than Murray and Karlovic is just as tricky an opponent to play on GRASS as a returning hewitt. The fact that federer dismissed both without expending as much effort is testament to Federer's ability not the inferiority of the opponenets.

ReputationRep:

You're still convinced that Roddick deserved to win? I seriously doubt how people can say that for losers. Please refer to at least one individual point in which Roddick deserved to win. The word "If" means absolutely nothing. Federer won, enough said. There's no point saying something as obvious as federer being one of the best breakers in the game. Every player has to be an excellent breaker, otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete. And please please please, god almighty, Federer eventually broke Roddick in the final game - you're saying it as if Federer did not break Roddick once during the whole match. Forget what the commentators were saying Federer did it when it mattered most. Federer won fair and square, hence Roddick did not deserve victory. Federer haters, get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    Put yourself in Federer's shoes in the 2008 Final of Wimbledon. There wasundoubtedly far more pressure on Federer in the final of that year. 5 time champion, to become 6th in a row and surpass Borg, was the clear favourite. There was just far more pressure on him. There was little pressure on Roddick, nothing compared to what Federer faced in 2008. Federer's 5 previous years of victory in Wimbledon all fed to his disappointment at the 2008 trophy presentation. There was absolutely no pressure on Roddick coming in to the Wimbledon 09 final. He was the underdog, and i'm sure that he himself didn't expect to win. And of course he didn't. The only disappointment came from the fact that he has lost to Fed 3 times in a Wimbledon final, and that he was close to winning - but he lost, and it's over. Federer is the greatest of all time, and a true, and humble champion. People who call Federer arrogant - get a life.

Federer can definitely say he has felt the disappoint before.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, his post-match interview wasn't particularly humble, which made me wonder why people think he is? He said it in a way that really rubbed salt into the wounds, when he was saying about how he came back and won, but it's very different for him; he's already won 6, Roddick has yet to win Wimbledon and whereas Roddick was nothing but praising of Federer, Federer just turned it into all about himself, and the '15' jacket? Please.
    Are you jealous? That's how you come across. Please, give him his due. He is a true champion. And the 15 jacket is a mark of honour, one of pride and prestige that no other player has ever achieved. How is wearing a 15 on your jacket any different from owning a car, having an expensive watch or jewellery. Prestige matters to everyone in varying ways. It does not make him arrogant because he wears a 15 on his jacket. He has won 15 grand slams. It is a statement of truth, not arrogance, but rather a kind acknowledgement to his friends and fans (which number in the millions) for their amazing support in helping him complete his journey to absolute dominance in the sport. 15 is an important number to him. Just as an expensive watch and jewelery is to many of you, including yourself Clement. He had the absolute right to turn all the attention to himself - because he bloody won. Why can't you accept that? He was not being arrogant. Please give me one line, and explain to me how it explicitly comes across as arrogant. He is a nice guy, just watch all of his wimbledon interviews so far. Humble, not arrogant.

Why are you so cynical about Federer? Why can't you acknowledge that he is a true, wonderful champion? I feel for you that Roddick lost, i'm assuming you're a fan of his. But really, Roddick doesn't come anywhere close to Federer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.