University Challenge Watch

Revolution is my Name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by OhNO!)
50% of our team this year is pretty fit, which is 50% increase on last year
Hmmm, that'd mean a third of the four person team were pretty fit last year? So a third of each of them, or all of Pertinez, and 8.33% of Yeo Yeo Yeo?
d123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DeeDub)
Yeah that would be me, although my friends think I look more like Daniel Radcliffe. I can't really disagree with them as much as I think that I just look like me.

I was interested to hear that some folk thought that it was harder than usual for a first round match, because that is what i thought at the time.
I thought it was harder as well, although there were a few questions I knew that none of you got which made me happy (I'm a bit sad like that) like the Thomas Hardy one, I knew that, him being my favourite author/my geeky knowledge/strange memory which absorbs random, seemingly useless facts.

I'm really annoying to watch it with, because if I know the answer I shout it out and get excited when I get it right.
OhNO!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
Hmmm, that'd mean a third of the four person team were pretty fit last year? So a third of each of them, or all of Pertinez, and 8.33% of Yeo Yeo Yeo?
Um. The last one.

Although, the one who never answered anything from last year was alright but he looked too sullen so, 8.33% of Yeo.
Revolution is my Name
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by OhNO!)
Um. The last one.

Although, the one who never answered anything from last year was alright but he looked too sullen so, 8.33% of Yeo.
Simon Whathisface on the right (could have been Baker?). He seemed to know a reasonable amount, but his sullenness meant the others tended to ignore him
OhNO!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
Simon Whathisface on the right (could have been Baker?). He seemed to know a reasonable amount, but his sullenness meant the others tended to ignore him
That's the one, Baker! I did feel a bit sorry for him, since whenever he got anything right Yeo would (v. patronizingly) give him a little pat on the back.
DeeDub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by OhNO!)
That's the one, Baker! I did feel a bit sorry for him, since whenever he got anything right Yeo would (v. patronizingly) give him a little pat on the back.
Yeah last years team was dominated by Matt Yeo and Henry Pertinez. They got the bulk of the starters but having played against that team can testify that Simon pulls his weight during the bonuses.

(Original post by d123)
I thought it was harder as well, although there were a few questions I knew that none of you got which made me happy (I'm a bit sad like that) like the Thomas Hardy one, I knew that, him being my favourite author/my geeky knowledge/strange memory which absorbs random, seemingly useless facts.

I'm really annoying to watch it with, because if I know the answer I shout it out and get excited when I get it right.
I am not sure whether it was deliberately more difficult or it was just our luck with the questions. Perhaps it will come clear as the series goes on.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah last years team was dominated by Matt Yeo and Henry Pertinez. They got the bulk of the starters but having played against that team can testify that Simon pulls his weight during the bonuses.

I am not sure whether it was deliberately more difficult or it was just our luck with the questions. Perhaps it will come clear as the series goes on.
When you got towards the end, did you think, 'Ahh we're miles ahead here!'? :p:
Hibz123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I LOVE that programme, especially when Jeremy rushes them to answer the question
Those questions are really difficult though I do get rather excited when I get one right though:tongue:
One day I shall make the show:daydreaming:
Last edited by Hibz123; 9 years ago
DeeDub
Rep:
?
(Original post by addylad)
When you got towards the end, did you think, 'Ahh we're miles ahead here!'? :p:
To a certain degree yes but you want to keep the pace up in order to get as big a score as possible even though it doesn't matter.
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by d123)
I do this too
weet_ABI_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To a certain degree yes but you want to keep the pace up in order to get as big a score as possible even though it doesn't matter.
Just watched it - you absolutely mirked the other team! Well done! How did you manage to get on to it? Did you like have to 'audition' to get on the team?
DeeDub
Rep:
?
(Original post by weet_ABI_x)
Just watched it - you absolutely mirked the other team! Well done! How did you manage to get on to it? Did you like have to 'audition' to get on the team?
It depends on how serious you Uni takes it but anyone is free to enter a team as long as they are students attending the same institution. An institution can enter as many teams as it likes but only one of those teams can make the show.

The way it worked for me was. The weekly student news email was sent out announcing a selection test. The selection test was held on a wednesday afternoon in the library in which I had to answer 100 questions of university challenge standard. I am not sure exactly how many people took this. I think it may have been 150 ish. The best ten of those were then called back later that day to go head to head in a buzzer tryout which lasted about 1 hour. Then about a week later I got an email informing me that I had made the team. Then there was lots of form filling and stuff. After which the team was called for an interview at Granada studios with the exec producer and one of the question setters. We then sat a supervised forty question test. About 120 teams make this point. About a week later we were told that we had made the final 28 teams and that we would be on the show. Then we were giving filming dates and some more forms to fill out.
made_of_fail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
basically the production team pick whoever they like most at interview
DeeDub
Rep:
?
(Original post by made_of_fail)
basically the production team pick whoever they like most at interview
They say they base it mainly off the test scores but they also say that there are 'tv considerations' meaning that they want a good geographical spread, institutions entering for the first time, past winners, teams that are not too old or containing ringers and other kinds of things along those lines.
Altruistic1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks.

It is quite difficult to choose what to wear because people will make snap judgements about you based on what you have chosen. I want to look 'nice' but not 'trying to hard' as that would be embarrasing if we lose.
Thought your hoody looked pretty cool to be honest. People watch the show to see REAL students, so it's kind of lame when some dress up too conservatively in plain, tacky t-shirts they don't look like they'd ever wear out and about. Neiman wearing a shirt for example is a bit of a faux pas, though I guess understandable considering he's older and the team captain(?)

Anyway, thought your team did Manchester proud. Can't believe no-one got the Thomas Hardy question though, but I guess he isn't really known as a novelist. :woo: . Curious though.. did they make you all wear make-up, or is it just the lighting? When is the next Manchester Uni round btw?.. would love to see Manchester vs Warwick. :yes:
DeeDub
Rep:
?
(Original post by Altruistic1)
Thought your hoody looked pretty cool to be honest. People watch the show to see REAL students, so it's kind of lame when some dress up too conservatively in plain, tacky t-shirts they don't look like they'd ever wear out and about. Neiman wearing a shirt for example is a bit of a faux pas, though I guess understandable considering he's older and the team captain(?)

Anyway, thought your team did Manchester proud. Can't believe no-one got the Thomas Hardy question though, but I guess he isn't really known as a novelist. :woo: . Curious though.. did they make you all wear make-up, or is it just the lighting? When is the next Manchester Uni round btw?.. would love to see Manchester vs Warwick. :yes:
Tbh our captain always dresses like that and he is quite a bit older than i am.

Yeah I have never really liked Thomas Hardy so I have a blindspot on him. They do make us all wear makeup, it stops the skin from shining under the studio lights, although i think the makeup woman may have used a bit too much for me.

The next Manchester Uni round will not be shown until Christmas time, so there is a long time to wait.
made_of_fail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They say they base it mainly off the test scores but they also say that there are 'tv considerations' meaning that they want a good geographical spread, institutions entering for the first time, past winners, teams that are not too old or containing ringers and other kinds of things along those lines.
i was interviewed for the show. don't you think it's a bit off that they dont select solely by test score?
d123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who's on tomorrow?
DeeDub
Rep:
?
(Original post by made_of_fail)
i was interviewed for the show. don't you think it's a bit off that they dont select solely by test score?
Not really. Granada is a private company contracted by the BBC to make the best quality show possible and therefore it is up to them to choose teams based on factors other than test score. UC is a business for Granada it is not a an objective contest. For example my parents could join a uni solely to get on UC and they would both perform better on the selection test than i did but if they went for interview their team probably would not make the show as the producer's would identify them as ringers. OU fielded a team of ringers in 1999 and have made the show since.

Also as you don't get the results of the test so you don't know whether your score on the test was good enough to make the show. Perhaps there were 28 teams who did better than your team.
d123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not really. Granada is a private company contracted by the BBC to make the best quality show possible and therefore it is up to them to choose teams based on factors other than test score. UC is a business for Granada it is not a an objective contest. For example my parents could join a uni solely to get on UC and they would both perform better on the selection test than i did but if they went for interview their team probably would not make the show as the producer's would identify them as ringers. OU fielded a team of ringers in 1999 and have made the show since.

Also as you don't get the results of the test so you don't know whether your score on the test was good enough to make the show. Perhaps there were 28 teams who did better than your team.
Sorry for the ignorance but what do you mean exactly by ringers? Just like non-students?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (762)
90.39%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (81)
9.61%

Watched Threads