Turn on thread page Beta

All drugs need to be legalised. Right now. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    You're forgetting the amount of tax revenue from alcohol as well.
    Money to be made from legalising drugs tbh.

I'm sorry that you're aleady having this debate and now I'm doing it again, I have to admit I didn't even read the debate you've just had - so hopefully I'm not only repeating everything. You can ignore it if you're sick of this thread by now. :p:

(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    What a load of ********, seriously. Drugs alter people's state of mind, can make them mentally unstable, and cause them to do all kinds of insane things. Such things are generally bad and dangerous things. Common sense dictates that dangerous substances are controlled and not free to be used willy nilly.
    Alcohol alters peoples state of mind, makes them do "all kinds of insane things" which can be "bad and dangerous" - so does common sense dictate it should be controlled? Well yes to a degree, because there is an age limit, there are laws on public drinking etc, but those are the laws I want applied to illegal drugs. Designated areas, age limits, but not total prohibition to consenting adults of sound mind. I don't want that for "drugs" anymore than I want it for alcohol.

Your arguments thus far are also speculative only, you're made very vague and non-specific points about no drug in particular. Some drugs might cause some odd behaviour, but I want real points presented rather than vague speculations - thats not how you run a country, you run it on facts and on what works.

Now, some people claim that they are only dangerous because of quantity, or that legalisation and regulation reduces the danger they pose, their association with criminal acts, and whatnot.
    And yet you want them to be legalised, right now. Does that mean you don't even want regulation of such a market?
    :facepalm2:
    Markets are quick to adapt to changes, and it'll be driven by profit to account for the changes legalisation brings, and cater for whats demanded: safe environments for drug consumption in a controlled way and a controlled environment.

I don't agree with the claim that society would be a better place if ALL drugs were legalised and regulated. Giving in to drug legalisation movements is no substitute for a successful anti-drugs policy. We need to up the ante against illegal drug suppliers, and utterly annihilate the major drug barons. The street price of illegal drugs would soar if only the supply were to be choked. We should also double up rehabilitation efforts, to the point of forced detox. Giving in to heroin, crack, crystal meth, and God knows what else would wreck the nation's spirit.
    It's easy to say that you'll eliminate all drug supply, but this is proving to be an impossible task. There is so much money to make on the drugs black market, to the extent that no legal deterrants will prevent people from giving it a go, they already risk their lives from rival drug lords etc. In fact if you ask the drug dealers what they want, they'll want prohibition - because then they continue to make money. If you increase raids the price goes up for anyone who isn't caught.

Not only are these drug barons and lords having their pockets filled by your policy, but the good and honest taxpayer is out of pocket because they're funding all of these raids and prisons and such, its costing billions a year and during prohibition drug use has only been creeping up and up. Imagine the money on enforcement that could be saved, combined with tax revenue - the drug dealers of the world don't want this, you have to question why you're in agreement with them.

You want street prices of drugs to soar, yet you're also quick I'm sure to suggest how addictive certain drugs like heroin or crack are. Higher prices simply mean an increase in crime which is not desireable. The solution again lies with legalisation, and allowing the state to provide safer substances at a lower price.

I do agree we need drug rehabilitation centres however, though I want them to be rather more voluntary than you seem to. If the habbits are getting out of peoples control, and they can't afford it or it's harming their health too much and whatever, a lot of the money generated from taxing drugs could be reinvested into these clinics where addiction is treated as a medical rather than a criminal issue and these people are fed back into society, rather than propped up in a prison hotel not working, by the taxpayer.

Whilst some illegal drugs are no more dangerous or corrupting than alcohol, those at the hard end of the spectrum are not compatible with personal dignity and law and order, least of all in a society where there are problems with alcohol in the first place, and many people can't seem to take responsibility for their own lives and actions.
    Does this mean you want some drugs legalised already, is so, which? We can work from there once I know the answer to that ...

I lived with a heroin and amphetamine addict for three years, and I can safely say that it was not pleasant whatsoever. Drugs ruined that person's life, and his family's. Made it a living hell, and stole from us to pay for drug money. Their personality was completely destroyed, and they were reduced to a soulless wreck. Their life revolved around heroin, and even though I hate them for everything, I think their life would have been much better, that they would have had a chance at living an ok life if they hadn't gotten addicted at fifteen.
    I'm not here to defend heroin, I'm aware that it's an awful substance. But in making it legal, the conditions would have been available both to take heroin more safely (and away from you), more cheaply and also there would have been far more opportunity to quit. It's about working with what you have, its not about denying the harmful quality of the drug altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people advocate a 'war' on drugs? None of them have worked, and in many instances have caused a greater loss of life (e.g. Mexico), so why now?

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Why do people advocate a 'war' on drugs? None of them have worked, and in many instances have caused a greater loss of life (e.g. Mexico), so why now?
    Probably because they see legalisation as admitting defeat or something stupid like that. We've also been brought up with this civil war, so it seems rather normal - but it's definitely time it ended. It'll happen in our lifetimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    It'll happen in our lifetimes.
    I'm not convinced it will.

I'm not convinced it will.
    Portugal has decriminalised drugs for a decade now and its considered a success. It'll spread throughout Europe I expect, especially in Scandanavia and when it is proven to be a success everywhere it'll even spread to the UK.

Of course its mere speculation, but I really do believe that it'll happen. Especially if the lib dems/green/lpuk become bigger forces in politics.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is worse than cannabis in most ways. People who are stoned don't usually get violent, drunk people do. Alcohol is legal just because it's mostly white countries who make alcohol and drugs are illegal because its mostly brown countries who make drugs. People are told that drugs are bad so thats what they believe. Alcohol is only 'socially acceptable' because that's what people have been told, not because its true. The supposed 'benefits' of red wine and suchlike haven't even been fully proven. Plus alcohol is more addictive.

(Original post by Famia)
    Alcohol is worse than cannabis in most ways. People who are stoned don't usually get violent, drunk people do. Alcohol is legal just because it's mostly white countries who make alcohol and drugs are illegal because its mostly brown countries who make drugs. People are told that drugs are bad so thats what they believe. Alcohol is only 'socially acceptable' because that's what people have been told, not because its true. The supposed 'benefits' of red wine and suchlike haven't even been fully proven. Plus alcohol is more addictive.
    The problem extends beyond just cannabis, nearly all drugs have exaggerated negative portrayals. You could say that MDMA, shrooms and LSD are all safer than weed - so you ought to mention all of those (and more) as well. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about legalising all drugs, but I don't think anyone can really argue that there's a good reason for banning drugs like cannabis when more dangerous drugs such as alcohol are legal. It's pretty much a fact that alcohol is more dangerous than cannabis.

The other day I saw one of those police shows and they did a drugs bust at a house. They found a small amount of cocaine (most likely for personal consumption) and a few cannabis plants. They busted in there with sniffer dogs, riot gear, etc. Just think how much that has cost the tax payer and for what? That time and money could have been spent stopping real crimes rather than stopping some people getting high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'm not sure about legalising all drugs, but I don't think anyone can really argue that there's a good reason for banning drugs like cannabis when more dangerous drugs such as alcohol are legal. It's pretty much a fact that alcohol is more dangerous than cannabis.

The other day I saw one of those police shows and they did a drugs bust at a house. They found a small amount of cocaine (most likely for personal consumption) and a few cannabis plants. They busted in there with sniffer dogs, riot gear, etc. Just think how much that has cost the tax payer and for what? That time and money could have been spent stopping real crimes rather than stopping some people getting high.
    Exactly! This is pretty much the same thing I said to some friends I was having an argument with a few weeks ago about how alcohol is worse than cannabis. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

Same goes for that Scottish incest case where two fully grown adults grew up separated or something. If they have the time to do that, please come to London and sort out British Baltimore!

ReputationRep:
    Portugal has decriminalised drugs for a decade now and its considered a success. It'll spread throughout Europe I expect, especially in Scandanavia and when it is proven to be a success everywhere it'll even spread to the UK.

Of course its mere speculation, but I really do believe that it'll happen. Especially if the lib dems/green/lpuk become bigger forces in politics.
    I'd like other parties to become stronger but the electoral system and the style of politics at Westminster are against them. Shame really because the Labour/Tory domination is as boring as the Scottish Premier League. Even if the Lib Dems became an effective third electoral party, they may be uneasy in having an official line on drugs policy as it may wither their chances of remaning a potent actor. They have already failed to make the most out of the issues of the bigger two parties, but Clegg, despite appearing to be a good guy, hasn't really done it as leader. Surprised you mentioned Scandinavia because they're not always totally liberal. Sweden have high prices on alcohol, and Norway are generally more conservative than Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    The problem extends beyond just cannabis, nearly all drugs have exaggerated negative portrayals. You could say that MDMA, shrooms and LSD are all safer than weed - so you ought to mention all of those (and more) as well. :yep:
    Whether LSD and shrooms were safer than weed would depend on the environment.

In medical terms, yes they are.

In practical terms, taking LSD in a public place could potentially be very dangerous indeed.

ReputationRep:
    While i support the legalisation of most drugs. I'm unsure about addictive drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Surely the number of addicts would increase dramatically if this drug was legalised.

(Original post by Joluk)
    While i support the legalisation of most drugs. I'm unsure about addictive drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Surely the number of addicts would increase dramatically if this drug was legalised.
    On the contrary in Portugal for example, where heroin/cocaine has been decriminalised, usage has fallen.

(Original post by Joluk)
    Why do you think that you have the right to dictate my ability, as a competent adult, to take an addictive substance?

(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Whether LSD and shrooms were safer than weed would depend on the environment.

In medical terms, yes they are.

In practical terms, taking LSD in a public place could potentially be very dangerous indeed.
    That's why I said that you could say that LSD is safer than weed, rather than claiming that it's definitely safer. I do take your point, of course. But nonetheless my point still stands that there are more illegal drugs besides just cannabis that carries a smaller risk than alcohol/cigarettes. :yep:

Of course I want dangerous drugs legalised anyway, so its a moot point really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Why do you think that you have the right to dictate my ability, as a competent adult, to take an addictive substance?
    The same reason we don't sell fully automatic machine guns or RPGs to people. I understand what your saying, and i sympathise with it but i think if certain things are harmful enough to yourself and society they shouldn't be made legal. As i said before though, i'm on the fence with this to be honest.

(Original post by Joluk)
    The same reason we don't sell fully automatic machine guns or RPGs to people. I understand what your saying, and i sympathise with it but i think if certain things are harmful enough to yourself and society they shouldn't be made legal. As i said before though, i'm on the fence with this to be honest.
    And if I didn't accept the legitimacy of blocking sales of firearms to competent adults, how would you justify it?

ReputationRep:
    Money to be made from legalising drugs tbh.
    I know, I'm in favour of legalising drugs :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.