Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamousFourTops)
    Hey, sorry for the mega late reply, I was on holiday with no computer
    Haha yeah, I would never have guessed! I don't think he really is aloof to be honest, just I was so nervous that I was making everything out to be far worse than it was...
    Ah I know what you mean about everything being wrong; one of my interviewers mocked everything I said under his breath whatever I said. And he called me stupid! The local archaeology of of your school? Wow, I'm not suprised you didn't know! But at least he was nice about it...Looking forward to talking about the archaeology of Norwich?
    Yeah, I got a reading list in my acceptance letter (which I think was a bit optimistic, because I haven't got the grades yet!), and whilst it did make it feel more real, I was also a bit freaked out by how much was on there...Theres about 50, with 10 starred saying YOU MUST READ in massive letters! And yes, I'm hoping we can buy some of them up there, but these ones before the start of the course are a worry, because you can't get them from the library. Theres just loads of introductory textbooks; I'm sure you'll get one soon. Maybe Hertford are waiting for you all to get the grades! Haha yes, its not exaclty an every day news story type subject!
    No probs, you don't want to be thinking about work when you're on holiday anyway!

Yeah, he was nice, but I just scared myself at the time. It's not 'Norwich' -'NorTHwhich'. A lot futher north than Norwich, haha. Err, it's just the name of the little town where my school is. But I think there is some archaeology because it's Roman and there's a load of salt mines, but that's where my knowledge ends for the time being, I'll need to read up on it if he knows more than me.

Well if I've not got a reading list yet, then it can't be that important that you've read them all Is there one called something like 'Archaeological methods and practice' by Renfrew and Bahn? I think that might be a pretty standard one across unis, which I've already got, so I hope that's on of them It's actually quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Oxford for a visit today! (my mum's not been so she wanted to see my college...)
    It was really nice seeing it in term time, they were standing on the scaffolding to take a college photo at the time and everyone seemed really normal... scruffy 'formal' outfits, lots of gossiping / chit-chat and a random guy who insisted on wearing sunglasses.
    Roll on October...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty scared I won't meet my offer now. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumi Nous)
    I went to Oxford for a visit today! (my mum's not been so she wanted to see my college...)
    It was really nice seeing it in term time, they were standing on the scaffolding to take a college photo at the time and everyone seemed really normal... scruffy 'formal' outfits, lots of gossiping / chit-chat and a random guy who insisted on wearing sunglasses.
    Roll on October...
    I'm so jelous Did you have to email the college to go inside or can you just walk in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    I'm so jelous Did you have to email the college to go inside or can you just walk in?
    If you tell the porters you're starting there in October, they should let you in.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, at anyone holding an offer to start at Keble College in october of this year --->
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/h...5&view=members
    Meet new freshers, question current students, etc, etc

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of college groups now: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...id=99522123966

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamousFourTops)
    Oops, sorry, I misread that! I hope my thinking you come from Norwich isn't too insulting Yeah, it might be a bit embarrassing if he asks you again, in a tutorial of something One of my interviewers was very interested in the archaeology of Leicester, and kept asking me if I knew anything about it...suffice to say I didn't, so maybe I ought to look that up before I go!
    Yes, the Renfrew and Bahn is on there; its one of the starred ones. And they said it would be good to have a copy for future reference, so thats good!
    Nope, no offence taken

Ahh that's good. Tbh when I was having my interview, a group of us were sort of looking at stuff together beforehand and whenever we needed to look up something we just used that. It's like an archaeological encyclopedia or something

ReputationRep:
    Got a lovely message from my college mum today ><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roo92)
    You have college parents? =O Which college? That would be so useful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roo92)
    I heard from mine a few weeks ago via facebook, I think I scared her slightly with the crazy amount of questions I had in response!

I love the idea of college parents

ReputationRep:
    Who/what are college parents?

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh they sound really helpful, how do we get one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPSMain)
    College parents are two 2nd/3rd years who mentor/offer advice to yourself and a few fellow 1st years. They are usually reading the same subject as you and your 'college siblings', and are often the first point of contact for academic/social/welfare issues.
    I think I'll be the only student at St. John's studying French & Linguistics, or so I've been told. :/ Does every college have them, or are they only in certain colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganeira)
    I think I'll be the only student at St. John's studying French & Linguistics, or so I've been told. :/ Does every college have them, or are they only in certain colleges?
    If there aren't potential parents within your subject, you'll get a parent from a different (usually similar) subject.

(Original post by Frankie)
    Ooooh they sound really helpful, how do we get one?
    You'll be assigned parents by the college; it's a completely passive process on your part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    You have college parents? =O Which college? That would be so useful...
    St Hugh's its a great idea, it might not be as easy going to your tutor with your issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roo92)
    St Hugh's its a great idea, it might not be as easy going to your tutor with your issues
    I didn't think Oxford did a college parent scheme. I distinctly remember going for an taster day at the 'other place' in year 11. The student guide stopped halfway through her talk to exclaim, "Oh look it's my dad" and we were all a bit confused as to how such a young person could be her father

Is this only for specific colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    If there aren't potential parents within your subject, you'll get a parent from a different (usually similar) subject.

You'll be assigned parents by the college; it's a completely passive process on your part.
    ahhh right thankyou! i'm guessing most of my million questions will be answered in the pack we get after results day if we've got in :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Is this only for specific colleges?
    I'm not aware of any colleges not having a parenting system & I know for sure that a lot of colleges do, so I'd be surprised if it's not university-wide.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganeira)
    I think I'll be the only student at St. John's studying French &amp; Linguistics, or so I've been told. :/ Does every college have them, or are they only in certain colleges?
    I think I'm the only one for my subject at my college too :s

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.