June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics Watch

Oh my Ms. Coffey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My essays just felt really blagged as I was pretty rushed for time even and they dont give you enough room! I had 3 extra pages of writing for a physics exam.
pianofluteftw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jtc42)
I did that at first with the angle and was like..... AWH FACEPALM soon as I saw that dreaded little "R" which to me actually means "Well done nobcheese, you forgot what you're doing again", got it eventually though, and remembered weight which is shocking for me as I always seem to do that.

I'm just GUTTED quarks and MRI didn't come up, I spent AGES on MRI and I just love quantum physics >.<
Indeed. 'R' to me means "if you are on my calculator I am a) wrong. b) doing some maths paper (like C4 ahem) whereby we are forced to use this other system for angles which just involves that little bit more work, while resulting in the same answer in the end."
But all the same I feel a right idiot :rolleyes:

I did a really good presentation on MRI for my class, with a gyroscope and everything, and one on X rays too And yeah got to love a bit of Quantum Physics Lack of quarks = no reason for the sake of my A levels for visiting CERN last year (although maybe the universities liked the fact I'd been - plus it was soooo cool so not all is lost!)
pianofluteftw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by suarez7)
Whats all this talk about there being a mistake in one of the questions?! i did the ocr physics A fields and particles exam - the one where you define EMF at the start
See above your post - my reply to someone else
suarez7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Didnt even notice it loool, atleast they'll lower the boundary now
Tanya106
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TobeTheHero)
question says 'e.m.f across the output is 12V"

they give you Nprimary=4200 and Vs=12V

so Ns= 4200x 230/12= 805200
i got something similar to this..

12V is the OUTPUT, not the voltage on the secondary coil. therefore i subbed in
12V being Vs/Vp
12V= ns/4200
which means ns= 4200*12
= 50400

i thought this might be sufficient as it is only 2 marks!!

does that look right?
EmperorMustard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What do people reckon the raw mark boundary will be for a B?
Tanya106
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by t112)
Q1)a) 'Define Electromotive force'

They didn't specify in the specification that we were required to define it, does this mean they assume you should know this from AS.

Not that I should't know it, Is it not just a bit cheeky?
there was meant to be synopticity..
Q3, velocity, acceleration was from unit 1!
e.m.f. definition from unit 2
and i don't know about unit 3
suarez7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hang on, which question was the mistake on? the one where you had to work out F using F=BIL or the flow of electrons between the plates?
jtc42
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pianofluteftw)
Indeed. 'R' to me means "if you are on my calculator I am a) wrong. b) doing some maths paper (like C4 ahem) whereby we are forced to use this other system for angles which just involves that little bit more work, while resulting in the same answer in the end."
But all the same I feel a right idiot :rolleyes:

I did a really good presentation on MRI for my class, with a gyroscope and everything, and one on X rays too And yeah got to love a bit of Quantum Physics Lack of quarks = no reason for the sake of my A levels for visiting CERN last year (although maybe the universities liked the fact I'd been - plus it was soooo cool so not all is lost!)
Ah yeah thats true, it is quite useful when doing some trig, but it's still the root of far too many problems

I didn't understand MRI at all so I did loads of research into it and kinda became the MRI guru for my class, and then it didnt even come up. DEEPLY upset!

And when did you go to CERN? I went with my physics group last year too. Did you see the "big red button" at the ATLAS visitor centre?
pianofluteftw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by suarez7)
Hang on, which question was the mistake on? the one where you had to work out F using F=BIL or the flow of electrons between the plates?
Acceleration of electrons through the two parallel plates
Tanya106
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will someone PLEASEEE put the answers up.. i've been waiting for ages.
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just posted my answers and mark scheme
luuucyx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
question says 'e.m.f across the output is 12V"

they give you Nprimary=4200 and Vs=12V

so Ns= 4200x 230/12= 805200
(Original post by In the looney bin)
x/4200 = 12V/230V

x=219-220 turns

Don't tell us we're all wrong.
i put 220, but i thought that it was really odd you would ever get a decimal or fraction number of turns was this another error?!
pianofluteftw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jtc42)
Ah yeah thats true, it is quite useful when doing some trig, but it's still the root of far too many problems

I didn't understand MRI at all so I did loads of research into it and kinda became the MRI guru for my class, and then it didnt even come up. DEEPLY upset!

And when did you go to CERN? I went with my physics group last year too. Did you see the "big red button" at the ATLAS visitor centre?
Oooh nice little pun (the root of far too many problems )

Well I understood MRI but still did loads of research into it! So I would have appreciated a nice long question on it!

Ah I'm so cool I went to CERN during my summer holidays (well we literally were staying like 1 hour away) AND YES THE BIG RED BUTTON! Apparently that really annoys the people in the control room
TobeTheHero
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by luuucyx)
i put 220, but i thought that it was really odd you would ever get a decimal or fraction number of turns was this another error?!
exactly my thoughts! how can you have 219.7 turns! i did a question on Transformers in the revision book and it asked me simialr question and i got exactly whole number
Tanya106
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by teachercol)
Just posted my answers and mark scheme
where is the link?
jtc42
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pianofluteftw)
Oooh nice little pun (the root of far too many problems )

Well I understood MRI but still did loads of research into it! So I would have appreciated a nice long question on it!

Ah I'm so cool I went to CERN during my summer holidays (well we literally were staying like 1 hour away) AND YES THE BIG RED BUTTON! Apparently that really annoys the people in the control room
Owhhhh thats bad. Not even I noticed that "pun", thats really really bad

And I can imagine the button being annoying, it does make quite a fuss BUT if they didnt like it they shouldnt have put it there, of course everyones going to push it!
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tanya106)
where is the link?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1685340
cleverbong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
exactly my thoughts! how can you have 219.7 turns! i did a question on Transformers in the revision book and it asked me simialr question and i got exactly whole number
I thought it is 219.1 turns but not 219.7.
pianofluteftw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jtc42)
Owhhhh thats bad. Not even I noticed that "pun", thats really really bad

And I can imagine the button being annoying, it does make quite a fuss BUT if they didnt like it they shouldnt have put it there, of course everyones going to push it!
Indeed (on both counts)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed