Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This woman is disgusting and I think should be prosecuted- you can't just start to insult people out of the blue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Did you even read my post mad black kid before writing that block of rage?

Cool story, tell it again.
    My grandparents moved here as adults. You have no right to tell them they are/aren't British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    My grandparents moved here as adults. You have no right to tell them they are/aren't British.
    They might have served the country well and assimilated which is great, but they aren't British. I don't understand why this is such a shocking concept?

One of my grandparents was Irish, like yours he served in the war in the Yorkshire Rifles, after the war he built the motorways working as a navvy, he was treated with contempt for being Irish and eventually he died here.

But after this big sob story is my grandfather British? No, he was Irish speaking Gael and died Irish, even if his passport said something different.

(Although technically Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom when my grandfather was born but I am just trying to illustrate a point).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    They might have served the country well and assimilated which is great, but they aren't British. I don't understand why this is such a shocking concept?

One of my grandparents was Irish, like yours he served in the war in the Yorkshire Rifles, after the war he built the motorways working as a navvy, he was treated with contempt for being Irish and eventually he died here.

But after this big sob story is my grandfather British? No, he was Irish and died Irish.

(Although technically Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom when my grandfather was born but I am just trying to illustrate a point).
    Who gave you the position of deciding who is or is not "British"?

ReputationRep:
    Who gave you the position of deciding who is or is not "British"?
    The ability to logically rationalize reality.

How can anyone with an iota of a connection to Britain be considered British? Britishness isn't a globalized notion that anyone can buy into because they like crumpets, wear a top hat and monocle in their village in Botswana or move here for a year and get given a visa.

People might move here and do great things and they are welcome, but they are still not British.

If I move to Japan tomorrow, learn Japanese and work hard there for the rest of my life, I might have served Japan well but I will never be Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)

How can anyone with an iota of a connection to Britain be considered British? Britishness isn't a globalized notion that anyone can buy into because they like crumpets, wear a top hat and monocle in their village in Botswana or move here for a year and get given a visa.

People might move here and do great things, but they are still not British.

If I move to Japan tomorrow, learn Japanese and work hard there for the rest of my life, I might have served Japan well but I will never be Japanese.
    I don't understand what your conception of 'Britishness' even entails?

You haven't explained why this is the case. You are just stating unsubstantiated opinion as "rational logic".

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what your conception of 'Britishness' even entails?

You haven't explained why this is the case. You are just stating unsubstantiated opinion as "rational logic".
    I have, in the post you raged at with your sob story. Maybe you should read it past the first paragraph before getting mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    I have, in the post you raged at with your sob story. Maybe you should read it past the first paragraph before getting mad.
    I think the problem is that he made a rational point while u didn't

Your "adjudged" level of Britishness doesn't make you british

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    However, this definition lacks addressing the internal component; what makes a person British? Being British is a process of internalizing these components; internalizing mannerisms, sense of shared history, values, language, tastes and the myriad of other things that constitutes a culture.
    What on earth does this mean?

There is no degree of 'shared mannerisms' so obvious across the entire UK that mean a migrant is unable to adopt them.

'Tastes'? Tastes in what?

Do you really think the white working class of Birmingham share more in common with the white middle upper class of Surrey than they do the black working class of Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    What on earth does this mean?

There is no degree of 'shared mannerisms' so obvious across the entire UK that mean a migrant is unable to adopt them.

'Tastes'? Tastes in what?

Do you really think the white working class of Birmingham share more in common with the white middle upper class of Surrey than they do the black working class of Birmingham?
    If we are still talking about adult migrants who have moved here prior to internalizing British cultural habitus, then yes.

They acknowledge each other as the same, even though they are separated by class.

Need to go out now, talk later hunny x

ReputationRep:
    Wow I would have loved to have been there!
    Would've given her the biggest ***** slap....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)

People might move here and do great things and they are welcome, but they are still not British.

Have you never heard of naturalisation?

If someone has legal "British citizenship" then they are indeed British. A citizen of Britain. No matter what their "race".

I think you're confusing "English" with "British". A common naive mistake.

You can't ignore the facts and the law of the land, and cover it up with saying that you're using the "ability to logically rationalize reality" just to meet your own agenda. That doesn't make you right.

The simple fact of the matter is you're wrong. And if you don't like it, then tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    I think you'll find that Japan has a protocol for naturalisation too. Albeit seemingly a little stricter than ours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    If we are still talking about adult migrants who have moved here prior to internalizing British cultural habitus, then yes.
    There is no cultural homogeneity in the UK, there isn't in any cultural environment. Much less so in a nation like the United Kingdom - given it's wealth, power and diversity (even within the native population). This is no bad thing.

They acknowledge each other as the same, even though they are separated by class.
    I'm not sure they do :rolleyes:

You think that a white stockbroker educated at a southern private school and Oxbridge living in the Surrey commuter belt and a white working class family in which nobody has attended higher education living on the breadline from inner Liverpool acknowledge each other as the same? And that they live a lifestyle and cultural values remotely comparable? The white stockbroker would have much more in common with an upper class Indian working in financial services, than they ever will that working class family - whatever their ability to "internalizing British cultural habitus" is.

ReputationRep:
    I personally do not regard non whites as British, they simply not one of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethnic Euro)
    Nobody really cares what your definition of being British is though do they?

ReputationRep:
    That's your choice. But if they are British citizens then they are indeed British. So that would make you bang wrong. It doesn't matter what you "regard" them as, that makes no difference to the fact of the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    That's your choice. But if they are British citizens then they are indeed British. So that would make you bang wrong. It doesn't matter what you "regard" them as, that makes no difference to the fact of the matter.
    Well done for stating the obvious. Yes it is my opinion, have a round of applause for being able to read

ReputationRep:
    Nobody really cares what your definition of being British is though do they?
    The fact that non-whites like yourself are so desperate to live with whites speaks volumes.

And btw thats a funny looking British flag on your Avatar

ReputationRep:
    Well done for stating the obvious. Yes it is my opinion, have a round of applause for being able to read
    And have a peanut for not having a clue what British is.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.