Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    I know what you mean. I think it would be really nice if we could at least meet at the interview.
    (Original post by NedStark)
    x
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    x
    We should definitely organise a meet of some sort if possible if we have the same dates for interview!

By the way the provisional dates for interview for King's are the 9th-13th of December

Source: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/sites/def...candidates.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Which 3 would you pick out of:
    exeter
    leeds
    manchester
    edinburgh
    nottingham
    reading

i'm already applying to oxford and bristol
    i have AABB at AS 2A* 7A 2B GCSE and A*AA A2 predictions (maths a* chem+bio a)
    THANKS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    We should definitely organise a meet of some sort if possible if we have the same dates for interview!

By the way the provisional dates for interview for King's are the 9th-13th of December

Great idea. Always good to meet some new people.
    I hope it's not 13th December. I have a flight booked for the afternoon. Good that you reminded me before I sent my SAQ, I will mention it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

This is my first post on student room after browsing the student room for years. Thought it was time to get an account!

I am applying for Economics at Bristol Cambridge LSE UCL and Warwick.

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A level and have got my grades.

As you can see I DONT have an economics A level. I notice it isn't required at any universities. Will this be a big disadvantage to me in terms of receiving an offer?

Hope someone could shed some light on this. They are never very specific about this matter on the websites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simos)
    Hello there,

This is my first post on student room after browsing the student room for years. Thought it was time to get an account!

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A level and have got my grades.

As you can see I DONT have an economics A level. I notice it isn't required at any universities. Will this be a big disadvantage to me in terms of receiving an offer?

Hope someone could shed some light on this. They are never very specific about this matter on the websites
    Welcome! And congrats on your first post (if that is something to be congratulated for )

As long as you've mentioned some sort of economics on your PS and shown a wider interest (via reading books etc.) it's fine. Economics A Level is not a requirement for an Economics degree at all. Maths and Further Maths are more useful, and you have those.

I would still read an economics textbook to get an idea of the ideas involved though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Welcome! And congrats on your first post (if that is something to be congratulated for )

As long as you've mentioned some sort of economics on your PS and shown a wider interest (via reading books etc.) it's fine. Economics A Level is not a requirement for an Economics degree at all. Maths and Further Maths are more useful, and you have those.

I would still read an economics textbook to get an idea of the ideas involved though
    Thanks, I have mentioned a reasonable amount of economics. Do you think they will expect me to have similar knowledge to those people who have studied economics. PS how do you tell is someone has replied to your post? do you just have to keep checking the thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simos)
    Thanks, I have mentioned a reasonable amount of economics. Do you think they will expect me to have similar knowledge to those people who have studied economics. PS how do you tell is someone has replied to your post? do you just have to keep checking the thread?
    don't worry I've just worked out how to do it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)

Sounds like a plan! I'll look forward to it, provided I get an interview of course.

How is everyone's target 2.0 team coming along? We found out our group at regionals today and it looks pretty tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simos)
    Not necessarily a similar knowledge, but you need to be aware of key economic ideas and definitely be apace of current major events in the British and international economy (e.g. the current energy price issue, funding for lending, the US shutdown etc.) Watching Sky/BBC news everyday and reading something like the Times or The Economist is the kind of preparation that would be ideal.

Sounds like a plan! I'll look forward to it, provided I get an interview of course.

How is everyone's target 2.0 team coming along? We found out our group at regionals today and it looks pretty tough.
    If you don't get an interview with a 98% UMS average and 12A*s at GCSEs I will actually go to Cambridge and punch the admissions tutor

Our school hasn't really started doing much for Target 2.0

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ignore the competition, just focus on your presentation. We were up against 6 private schools out of 8, so there we go.

ReputationRep:
    when we do our personal statements, can you attah other files or write more anywhere else because 4000 chracters doesnt seem much???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    If you don't get an interview with a 98% UMS average and 12A*s at GCSEs I will actually go to Cambridge and punch the admissions tutor
    Corpus admissions tutor said anyone above 97% is very very likely to get an offer, provided they don't have the worst interview of their life.

So might has well go on a rampage if Epic Flawless isn't given even an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    when we do our personal statements, can you attah other files or write more anywhere else because 4000 chracters doesnt seem much???
    No. Find a way to condense the what you say and leave out things that aren't absolutely necessary or things that don't add value to your statement. It needs to be concise.

(Original post by NedStark)
    Corpus admissions tutor said anyone above 97% is very very likely to get an offer, provided they don't have the worst interview of their life.

So might has well go on a rampage if Epic Flawless isn't given even an interview.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simos)
    Hello there,

May i ask what A level results you achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazard17)
    May i ask what A level results you achieved?
    I achieved 4 A*s. However looking at some of the UCAS tariffs it seems to be under average?!

ReputationRep:
    whats this target 2.0 thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simos)
    I achieved 4 A*s. However looking at some of the UCAS tariffs it seems to be under average?!
    are you saying 4A* is under average!!??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    are you saying 4A* is under average!!??
    It is worth 560 Ucas points. (A*=140 points)

Cambridge average- 638
    Oxford average - 608
    LSE average- 587
    Warwick average- 574

These are the unis which average over that. I'm not sure if it is because of A levels like critical thinking but I don't know many people who do a 5th AS let alone 4 A levels!

I cant work out the tariffs tbh

ReputationRep:
    Do unis even look at UCAS points anymore? it hought they just looked at grades and personal statement etc instead of points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simos)
    It is worth 560 Ucas points. (A*=140 points)

Cambridge average- 638
    Oxford average - 608
    LSE average- 587
    Warwick average- 574

These are the unis which average over that. I'm not sure if it is because of A levels like critical thinking but I don't know many people who do a 5th AS let alone 4 A levels!

I cant work out the tariffs tbh
    i cant see that being true because surely the average person getting into those uni isnt getting 4A* when the requirments are usually AAA or A*AA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.