Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Bergkamp is essentially the Ajax co-manager btw. If he could get over his fear of flying then I reckon he'd be a shoe in as Wenger's heir...
    Dragan Stojković is Wenger's replacment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    we probably had to move to become a truly 'big' club
    How many trophies have you won since moving to the Emirates?

And yeah agree with what you said, Highbury was an awesome stadium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    How many trophies have you won since moving to the Emirates?
    Its providing a foundation for the club to be in a secure position to challenge for trophies. Bare in mind we've had to deal with repayments and that has effects the strength of the 1st team, those restriction have started to ease and season 13/14 arsenal will begin to compete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Its providing a foundation for the club to be in a secure position to challenge for trophies. Bare in mind we've had to deal with repayments and that has effects the strength of the 1st team, those restriction have started to ease and season 13/14 arsenal will begin to compete.
    How?

Surely if you'd have stayed put and just extended the ground (was this possible?), you wouldn't have had those repayments to deal with and thus would have had more money?

Sounds like a risk to me, especially if you miss out on 4th this season, which could very well happen, and if it does what makes you think you'll compete next season?

ReputationRep:
    How?

Surely if you'd have stayed put and just extended the ground (was this possible?), you wouldn't have had those repayments to deal with and thus would have had more money?

Sounds like a risk to me, especially if you miss out on 4th this season, which could very well happen, and if it does what makes you think you'll compete next season?

Not a hope of expanding Highbury in any meaningful way. The stadium was literally wedged inbetween rows of old victorian houses and was ludicrously cramped already. Plus the East Stand was a listed building etc. Could have probably added 5k seats here and there by filling in the corners etc but it wouldnt have been worth it.

Moving from Highbury was an absolute no brainer from a long term perspective. How are Arsenal supposed to have a hope of competing with Utd etc with such low matchday revenues? Old Trafford is now twice as big as Highbury was. Its cost us a few titles at least in the short run but thats the nature of long term planning.

ReputationRep:
    Not a hope of expanding Highbury in any meaningful way. The stadium was literally wedged inbetween rows of old victorian houses and was ludicrously cramped already. Plus the East Stand was a listed building etc. Could have probably added 5k seats here and there by filling in the corners etc but it wouldnt have been worth it.

Moving from Highbury was an absolute no brainer from a long term perspective. How are Arsenal supposed to have a hope of competing with Utd etc with such low matchday revenues? Old Trafford is now twice as big as Highbury was. Its cost us a few titles at least in the short run but thats the nature of long term planning.
    Low? They're in London

Arsenal can charge what they like and people will still go, even more so if they were still winning things.

Post edit: source - http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=2&t=14947

United on the other hand, struggle to sell tickets.

Those trophies you've missed out on, have caused players to leave, it's done more than just damage your transfer budget.

Saying that, once the stadium is paid off you'll probably be nice.

ReputationRep:
    How?

As Zürich so nicely stated extension of the ground was not possible

I doubt Arsenal could attract top sponsors with Highbury, Yeah we would of had more money to compete if we stayed at Highbury but not crazy money. We would have been delaying the inevitable Arsenal needed to move to improve Match day experience, Match day revenue, Corporate facilities, facilities in general, Arsenal's Image abroad and stadium capacity. Imagine where arsenal would be if Man City and Chelsea hadn't bought their success, they weren't factored into the plan.

If arsenal miss out on top four its not the end of the world, Wenger wont accept that and will fight to get back back in the CL next season, we can use our cash reserves to boost the squad back into the CL if needs be.

What make me think arsenal will compete next season is that Wenger has said so himself, Wenger already stated that missing out on CL wont affect our summer spending there's an A List and B list of players depending on where we finish. He explained our muscle in the transfer market has been restricted. But now we have a solid foundation as a platform to compete with the rest.

Ask any Chelsea fan Stamford bridge is holding them back since they cant expand it the stadium doesn't match the size of the club.

All the elements are there to make Arsenal a European Powerhouse

ReputationRep:
    Ask any Chelsea fan Stamford bridge is holding them back since they cant expand it the stadium doesn't match the size of the club.
    Chelsea's fanbase isn't that huge in all honesty. Im talking about people who want to go every week as these kinds take decades to foster. They get plenty of tourist fans and day trippers but that not enough to expand imo. Even with 20k fewer seats its much easier to get a Chelsea ticket than an Arsenal ticket for example and even in 2005 some of their League wents on general sale. Used to stick the Evening Standard adverts on a Chelski mates locker at school

Filling 50k would genuinely be a challenge for Chelsea(some games this season were way way below capacity) so I think they'll everntually just stick an extra tier on their goal stands. Or knock down the hotel they have and move one stand back.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea have actually had tickets advertised in newspapers this season, I'm sure it was them.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea have been known to give away free tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday night games because interest is so low on occasions (CL group ones or early round league cup)

Also got an email saying the deadline for ST renewals is 1st June this year and they can't even issue renewals till the seasons over so there will be like 2 weeks to make your mind up they seem a bit keen for the money pushing the deadlines

ReputationRep:
    I hope Wigan stay up. They usually give us a free 4-0 win every season.

ReputationRep:
    As Zürich so nicely stated extension of the ground was not possible

I doubt Arsenal could attract top sponsors with Highbury, Yeah we would of had more money to compete if we stayed at Highbury but not crazy money. We would have been delaying the inevitable Arsenal needed to move to improve Match day experience, Match day revenue, Corporate facilities, facilities in general, Arsenal's Image abroad and stadium capacity. Imagine where arsenal would be if Man City and Chelsea hadn't bought their success, they weren't factored into the plan.

All the elements are there to make Arsenal a European Powerhouse
    As I said Arsenal probably did have to leave to become a big club in the commercial sense. We already were a big club in every other sense. We've been one of England's premier football clubs since the 1930's. Other clubs may have had more success in the intervening period, but we've always been up there in terms of the who's who of English football. When Dynamo came to England after WW2 the team they demanded to play was 'the Arsenal.' We were always known as the classy club, with the marble halls and the little traditions that set us apart. Highbury was an intrinsic part of who we were. London is a melting pot and I've met a lot of European blokes who've said to me they wish they could have seen Highbury. It was a truly famous and revered ground. I met Lee Dixon in the early 2000's and he said to me the reason he came to Arsenal initially was he just knew what the club was about when he walked into the marble halls. Both Henry and Fabregas said they preferred Highbury to the Emirates.

Jimmy Greaves, a Spurs and Chelsea legend said: 'Arsenal had class. I remember when I was at Spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn’t match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the Double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.'

All this talk of corporate revenue and commercial deals are a side of the game that I really don't like. Yes the Emirates is superior to Highbury in that regard, but it's not the be all and end all. The argument that we would have gone the way of a Leeds or Portsmouth is total bull. We've always been a fiscally conservative club. I'm fully aware that I sound like a Luddite and a longing of days gone past that I didn't even live through, but I'm a bit of a romantic when it comes to sports. Very forward looking when it comes to other things in life, but a real soppy joe when it comes to sport.

To me the Emirates embodies everything I hate about modern football. It's aimed to the corporate fans: they didn't build a home end and justified it as club level seating was maximised. The name itself is a total sham, and completely goes against the traditions that made Arsenal great. The club explicitly promised that it would result in lower ticket prices... a complete lie, and one that's directly effecting me, which makes me even more bitter. But supporters like me and people I know have become irrelevant to Arsenal now.

Anyway, there's my rant over spilt milk. I can't do anything about and it's done. But I really miss Highbury .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Chelsea have been known to give away free tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday night games because interest is so low on occasions (CL group ones or early round league cup)

Also got an email saying the deadline for ST renewals is 1st June this year and they can't even issue renewals till the seasons over so there will be like 2 weeks to make your mind up they seem a bit keen for the money pushing the deadlines
    Yeah I got a letter in the post saying Red membership renewals are June 8th. I'm sure the deadline (was there even one at all?:confused:) was much later than that last year.

Either the club wants all the money asap so we can make early purchases or this summer is going to be business as usual (i.e. make a net profit) and they are scared people won't renew if that's the case :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As I said Arsenal probably did have to leave to become a big club in the commercial sense. We already were a big club in every other sense. We've been one of England's premier football clubs since the 1930's. Other clubs may have had more success in the intervening period, but we've always been up there in terms of the who's who of English football. When Dynamo came to England after WW2 the team they demanded to play was 'the Arsenal.' We were always known as the classy club, with the marble halls and the little traditions that set us apart. Highbury was an intrinsic part of who we were. London is a melting pot and I've met a lot of European blokes who've said to me they wish they could have seen Highbury. It was a truly famous and revered ground. I met Lee Dixon in the early 2000's and he said to me the reason he came to Arsenal initially was he just knew what the club was about when he walked into the marble halls. Both Henry and Fabregas said they preferred Highbury to the Emirates.

Jimmy Greaves, a Spurs and Chelsea legend said: 'Arsenal had class. I remember when I was at Spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn’t match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the Double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal.'

All this talk of corporate revenue and commercial deals are a side of the game that I really don't like. Yes the Emirates is superior to Highbury in that regard, but it's not the be all and end all. The argument that we would have gone the way of a Leeds or Portsmouth is total bull. We've always been a fiscally conservative club. I'm fully aware that I sound like a Luddite and a longing of days gone past that I didn't even live through, but I'm a bit of a romantic when it comes to sports. Very forward looking when it comes to other things in life, but a real soppy joe when it comes to sport.

To me the Emirates embodies everything I hate about modern football. It's aimed to the corporate fans: they didn't build a home end and justified it as club level seating was maximised. The name itself is a total sham, and completely goes against the traditions that made Arsenal great. The club explicitly promised that it would result in lower ticket prices... a complete lie, and one that's directly effecting me, which makes me even more bitter. But supporters like me and people I know have become irrelevant to Arsenal now.

Anyway, there's my rant over spilt milk. I can't do anything about and it's done. But I really miss Highbury .
    Agree 100% emirates is a soulless bowl compared to Highbury, the way the club has been on the steady decline since the move does it non favours too it. It feels like it was a built on a lie the way things have gone since the move that was supposed to push us on to be an elite contender in Europe and even though I know that is short sighted but when when you are getting ripped off and treated like just another consumer at every turn its difficult to think of the long term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Yeah I got a letter in the post saying Red membership renewals are June 8th. I'm sure the deadline (was there even one at all?:confused:) was much later than that last year.

Either the club wants all the money asap so we can make early purchases or this summer is going to be business as usual (i.e. make a net profit) and they are scared people won't renew if that's the case :rolleyes:
    That is weird how can they do a deadline on reds ? I thought anyone could buy one at any time unless they are gonna stop taking on new members which wouldn't make much sense considering they get about 30 quid for basically nothing for every new red member

ReputationRep:

When I'm on my death bed I'm sure not getting to see a game at Highbury will still be one of my greatest regrets in life

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ This, this, this, this, this ^^^

Emirates is a disgrace imo, just cos it's got more seats and is very shiny, doesn't make it good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    That is weird how can they do a deadline on reds ? I thought anyone could buy one at any time unless they are gonna stop taking on new members which wouldn't make much sense considering they get about 30 quid for basically nothing for every new red member
    lose your place in the queue for an upgrade to Silver?

ReputationRep:
    lose your place in the queue for an upgrade to Silver?
    Good point you are silvers aint you ? Have you had anything nagging you about deadlines yet ?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I think one of the problems with the Emirates is just that there aren't enough good memories. People's memories of Highbury are going to include all the nostalgic moments with the Invincible's and players gone by. How many of those have occurred at the Emirates. In the short term the Emirates has been a story of relative underachievement and budget players. Once the stadium is paid off, the club pushes on with the extra financial muscle and you have some more memories to compete I think the stadium will seem a little more like home. Ultimately it ensures Arsenal don't need to take the financial risk like many other clubs to stay competitive.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.