Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Count to a MINUS million and be the first forum to do it! Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by spotify95)
    That's good then, it shouldn't be too much hassle if it's the same university Only thing that'll need changing is the course name on the SFE application

That's rather strange. I always try and look for these things when they crop up. They might have moved the radio to an obscure location, so see if you can find it They probably won't have moved it to a position that makes it inaccessible.

If you do find it, try tuning it to Capital Leeds I get a bit of Capital Leicestershire, even though I'm in Northamptonshire.

Though mostly it's Heart around our area. Heart just don't play the good new music, they keep repeating old songs, and they cut the ending off all the time. Once they only played 50% of a song before crashing into another!

Yeah, and the uni as it was my insurance. Already spoken to SFE though.

We know it's in the attic, but we think it's behind the illegal sauna the guy before us put in, that or somewhere else inaccessible. The guy before did quite a few odd things tbh, though most of them we can live with for now.

Yeah, I don't have a normal, working radio I can use. :'(
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekbok)

Yeah, and the uni as it was my insurance. Already spoken to SFE though.

We know it's in the attic, but we think it's behind the illegal sauna the guy before us put in, that or somewhere else inaccessible. The guy before did quite a few odd things tbh, though most of them we can live with for now.

Yeah, I don't have a normal, working radio I can use. :'(
    I'd have thought that if people were to hide things, they would hide them in the attic. Chances are the speakers are hidden in the ceiling, or may also be in the attic!

An illegal sauna? How was this sauna illegal? I didn't think you could put a sauna in the attic (unless it was unused)?

If you can live with them, great, but if you have to do any work in the attic then you could also sort out the wacky things that the previous homeowners did.

Our previous homeowners used to just shove lots of rubbish in the attic, instead of take it to the tip.... well we had a huge sortout when the new insulation was put in!

Just use the laptop then, to listen to the radio. Capital is ropey round here (but listenable!) so I usually just play it through Capital's website. The laptop's usually on anyway

ReputationRep:

I'd have thought that if people were to hide things, they would hide them in the attic. Chances are the speakers are hidden in the ceiling, or may also be in the attic!

An illegal sauna? How was this sauna illegal? I didn't think you could put a sauna in the attic (unless it was unused)?

If you can live with them, great, but if you have to do any work in the attic then you could also sort out the wacky things that the previous homeowners did.

Our previous homeowners used to just shove lots of rubbish in the attic, instead of take it to the tip.... well we had a huge sortout when the new insulation was put in!

Just use the laptop then, to listen to the radio. Capital is ropey round here (but listenable!) so I usually just play it through Capital's website. The laptop's usually on anyway
    Yep, we're not sure where they are, but they can stay where they are for now, it's fine.

It was illegal for it to be in the attic (which is quite big and tall)

Yeah, that's the plan, the attic is going to have a window put in (and the sauna out), then be decorated and then it can be my room.

Yeah, we had loads in the greenhouse, attic, garage, cellar and under the patio, we've been to the tip countless times and there's still stuff to get rid of. :/

The plan is my laptop when listening to music.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Yep, we're not sure where they are, but they can stay where they are for now, it's fine.

Yeah, that's the plan, the attic is going to have a window put in (and the sauna out), then be decorated and then it can be my room.

Yeah, we had loads in the greenhouse, attic, garage, cellar and under the patio, we've been to the tip countless times and there's still stuff to get rid of. :/

I thought so, after all a sauna in the attic? If used it might cause a hazard?

Good idea - when the attic becomes decorated, then you'll be able to use the radio yourself since it will effectively be your room

We don't use our attic for much, we could use it as a room if we really wanted to but it gets too hot up there in the summer and too cold in the winter.

We also had loads of rubbish in the garage to get rid of, plus they left a shed for us (complete with some of their rubbish!) which we sorted out. Though most of it was in the attic.

Basically, my take on things is that if you can salvage something and use it, then do so, but if it's unusable, get rid of it.

I can see why they shoved the radio in the attic now. The higher up you are, the stronger your signal is, so the more you will be able to receive. Though if all youre listening to is Classic then it doesn't really matter as Classic is a national network!

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

You've jumped ahead a lot, you'll need to edit.

ReputationRep:

I thought so, after all a sauna in the attic? If used it might cause a hazard?

Good idea - when the attic becomes decorated, then you'll be able to use the radio yourself since it will effectively be your room

We don't use our attic for much, we could use it as a room if we really wanted to but it gets too hot up there in the summer and too cold in the winter.

We also had loads of rubbish in the garage to get rid of, plus they left a shed for us (complete with some of their rubbish!) which we sorted out. Though most of it was in the attic.

Basically, my take on things is that if you can salvage something and use it, then do so, but if it's unusable, get rid of it.

I can see why they shoved the radio in the attic now. The higher up you are, the stronger your signal is, so the more you will be able to receive. Though if all youre listening to is Classic then it doesn't really matter as Classic is a national network!

Yeah, exactly why we haven't used it and are taking it out.

Maybe, just need it to become separate from the light switch first.

Yeah, it's really annoying when people don't sort it out themselves. :mad:

Your stance makes sense and is the one we're following.

Also so it's above the room it's playing in.

I also know the word to the song that was just on demon fm. :/

Fixed

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

This is why I knew the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZN-_-X8zCE though I had nothing to do with the choice. Someone arranged it and it did work very well.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Yeah, exactly why we haven't used it and are taking it out.

Maybe, just need it to become separate from the light switch first.

Yeah, it's really annoying when people don't sort it out themselves. :mad:

Your stance makes sense and is the one we're following.

Also so it's above the room it's playing in.

I also know the word to the song that was just on demon fm. :/

Fixed
    I suppose the sauna could just be taken out, and moved to another room, if you really wanted to use it. But if you don't, just bin it! I don't have a need for a sauna!

In terms of the wiring.. only thing I can think of is that they've wired the radio to the same circuit as the lights in the room. Why anyone would do that, I don't know. :confused::rolleyes: Best thing to do is shove an ordinary plug on the wire, and plug it into an ordinary plug socket.

The people that lived here before did some quite weird things, for example, they wired outside lights to a plug socket, which is then plugged into the mains at one of the outlets. They also daisy chained some under cabinet lights (in the kitchen) to the back of some of the plug sockets, and also created some extra plug sockets in the kitchen... via the plug sockets that were already there!!!!

We found it annoying too that we had to sort out some other people's mess... though some of it was usable.

That makes sense too, have the music above the room... but surely they must have turned it up very loud in order to get through the ceiling? I wonder how loud it is in the attic?

In terms of the signal strength... most decent radios nowadays come with an external aerial connector, so you can plug in a rooftop aerial. They bring in the best signal.

I'm currently switching between Demon and Capital, dependant on which plays the better music. what was the song you were referring to?

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

This is why I knew the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZN-_-X8zCE though I had nothing to do with the choice. Someone arranged it and it did work very well.
    That's good to know. I take it you were referring to the One Direction song then?

I didn't watch the X Factor, but heard One Direction when they started releasing their first songs (What Makes You Beautiful and Gotta Be You) and have listened to them ever since

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I was. It's fun and was a compulsory school event for me.

I don't watch x-factor and I'm not really a fan of one direction anyway.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Also, once, we found an old krypton based torch under one of the floorboards in the main bedroom - dug it out and surprisingly it still works! :eek:

I also sometimes salvage things and use them in a different manner to their intended use - for example, if you find a thin tube of metal, use it as an aerial and it will pick up signals quite nicely if your radio aerial is broken

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I used to watch XF a few years ago but don't bother anymore

ReputationRep:

I suppose the sauna could just be taken out, and moved to another room, if you really wanted to use it. But if you don't, just bin it! I don't have a need for a sauna!

In terms of the wiring.. only thing I can think of is that they've wired the radio to the same circuit as the lights in the room. Why anyone would do that, I don't know. :confused::rolleyes: Best thing to do is shove an ordinary plug on the wire, and plug it into an ordinary plug socket.

The people that lived here before did some quite weird things, for example, they wired outside lights to a plug socket, which is then plugged into the mains at one of the outlets. They also daisy chained some under cabinet lights (in the kitchen) to the back of some of the plug sockets, and also created some extra plug sockets in the kitchen... via the plug sockets that were already there!!!!

We found it annoying too that we had to sort out some other people's mess... though some of it was usable.

That makes sense too, have the music above the room... but surely they must have turned it up very loud in order to get through the ceiling? I wonder how loud it is in the attic?

In terms of the signal strength... most decent radios nowadays come with an external aerial connector, so you can plug in a rooftop aerial. They bring in the best signal.

I'm currently switching between Demon and Capital, dependant on which plays the better music. what was the song you were referring to?

Yeah, the plan is to bin it.

Yeah, we think it's been wired up instead of the fan which doesn't work. Anyway, doing a new plug isn't an issue.

We have lights and radios that turn on when you open the garage door, which is odd.

Not a lot is, we had loads of posters of motorbikes and girls left as well. :/

It's fine in the attic, it's kinda quiet in the bathroom, but you can hear it.

ReputationRep:

Also, once, we found an old krypton based torch under one of the floorboards in the main bedroom - dug it out and surprisingly it still works! :eek:

I also sometimes salvage things and use them in a different manner to their intended use - for example, if you find a thin tube of metal, use it as an aerial and it will pick up signals quite nicely if your radio aerial is broken

Yeah, sounds quite cool and we'll be finding those things for a while. There's a trapdoor in the kitchen. :eek:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.