Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Well, no - tan S_n = a and S_n = arctan a are two different things, remember that tangent is a pi-periodic function, so how do you know that it's know S_n = arctan a + pi, for example? You need to prove that S_n is bounded between 0 and pi for you to assert that S_n = arctan a.
    ya mean -pi/2,pi/2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porridgepie)
    so do i just have to state that 0=<arctanx=<pi/2 ?
    also how do i even prove tanS(n)=n/(n+1) without using the tan formula to show that S(k)= arctann/(n+1) + arctan1/2k^2 ?
    No, of course not. You have to prove it.

Well, you do it by induction.

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not. You have to prove it.

Well, you do it by induction.
    sorry so do i start by showing tan(arctan.5 + arctan.125...+arctan1/2k^2) =n/(n+1) then do the k+1 induction
    i realise i must sound like a moron but i'm just really pants at induction proof

ReputationRep:
    sorry so do i start by showing tan(arctan.5 + arctan.125...+arctan1/2k^2) =n/(n+1) then do the k+1 induction
    i realise i must sound like a moron but i'm just really pants at induction proof
    yes

ReputationRep:
    No, you assume that tan (arctan 0.5 + ...) = n/n+1 and then use that assumption to prove that the k+1 case is also true.

the question tells you that arctan is in interval (0, pi/2)
    Exactly, hence why you need to prove that S_n is bounded above by pi/2 in order to apply the arctan function.

ReputationRep:
    No, you assume that tan (arctan 0.5 + ...) = n/n+1 and then use that assumption to prove that the k+1 case is also true.

Exactly, hence why you need to prove that S_n is bounded above by pi/2 in order to apply the arctan function.
    get it now thx for your help

ReputationRep:
    get it now thx for your help
    No worries.

ReputationRep:
    So here is how I did:

Started off with question 2 (because calculus is usually my best and it looked easy) and I completed it.

Then I took up question 4 (more calculus ) did the first bit; used the first result in the second bit to give another differential equation and after squaring tried to find f(x) cant remember what I got but it was something weird not sure whether its right. Didnt give a geometric interpretation (or whatever was asked)

Question 1 and 3 came next - 1 was good i proved all the results then got factors in (ii) which I think are correct. As for question three the graphs were fine i saw sin3<sin2 which was good and i showed open and coloured circles where needed and I hope I got it completely.

Then I went for Q10 cuz it looked good but I couldnt complete it - i got the first result and then attempted (ii) after a lot of horrible algebra i came up with a weird cubic for lambda which i couldnt solve.

The final question was the real mess - I had roughly 20-25 mins left and I just went for 11 but i couldnt get the first result - i did resolve and write down equations and stuff but the answer didnt come. I did write differentiate then equalise to zero to get maximum. I also did Q9 bc 11 wasnt going far but i think i made an error with reaction but i wrote down as many resolving equations and moments as was needed - that reaction error didnt give me the result i think.

So how much do u guys think I would get? not really feeling very confident after messing up the last Q - looking back i think i shoulda done 8 instead of scratching at bits of mechanics questions at the end...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunawardana)
    So here is how I did:

Started off with question 2 (because calculus is usually my best and it looked easy) and I completed it.

Then I took up question 4 (more calculus ) did the first bit; used the first result in the second bit to give another differential equation and after squaring tried to find f(x) cant remember what I got but it was something weird not sure whether its right. Didnt give a geometric interpretation (or whatever was asked)

Question 1 and 3 came next - 1 was good i proved all the results then got factors in (ii) which I think are correct. As for question three the graphs were fine i saw sin3<sin2 which was good and i showed open and coloured circles where needed and I hope I got it completely.

Then I went for Q10 cuz it looked good but I couldnt complete it - i got the first result and then attempted (ii) after a lot of horrible algebra i came up with a weird cubic for lambda which i couldnt solve.

The final question was the real mess - I had roughly 20-25 mins left and I just went for 11 but i couldnt get the first result - i did resolve and write down equations and stuff but the answer didnt come. I did write differentiate then equalise to zero to get maximum. I also did Q9 bc 11 wasnt going far but i think i made an error with reaction but i wrote down as many resolving equations and moments as was needed - that reaction error didnt give me the result i think.

So how much do u guys think I would get? not really feeling very confident after messing up the last Q - looking back i think i shoulda done 8 instead of scratching at bits of mechanics questions at the end...
    20, 16, 20, 15, 4, 8 = 86

ReputationRep:
    20, 16, 20, 15, 4, 8 = 86
    I did 7 Qs btw (1,2,3,4,9,10,11) so wouldnt 1,2,3,4,10 and one of 9 or 11 be my best six? so wouldnt it be more like Q1=20, Q2=20, Q3=20? Q4=16, Q10=15, Q11=4? Q10=8? giving like more than 90?

*Q9 = 8 not Q10 =8

ReputationRep:
    I did 7 Qs btw (1,2,3,4,9,10,11) so wouldnt 1,2,3,4,10 and one of 9 or 11 be my best six? so wouldnt it be more like Q1=20, Q2=20, Q3=20? Q4=16, Q10=15, Q11=4? Q10=8? giving like more than 90?
    yeah, you put two questions in the same paragraph so I double counted.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you put two questions in the same paragraph so I double counted.
    yeah sry about that - and no worries. btw in my last post i meant Q10=15, Q11=4 and Q9(not 10) = 8 haha

so yeah depends on where the S boundary would go - any guesses?

ReputationRep:
    yeah sry about that - and no worries. btw in my last post i meant Q10=15, Q11=4 and Q9(not 10) = 8 haha

so yeah depends on where the S boundary would go - any guesses?
    100+ i'd say

ReputationRep:
    100+ i'd say
    thought so too - so yeah i guess ive gotten a good 1 (if all went as expected and i didnt make some ridiculously large error and didnt notice it )

Well, good luck in STEP 2

ReputationRep:
    thought so too - so yeah i guess ive gotten a good 1 (if all went as expected and i didnt make some ridiculously large error and didnt notice it )

Well, good luck in STEP 2
    Yeah, reckon I got the same. Incredibly annoyed about that.

Thanks, you too(?).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, reckon I got the same. Incredibly annoyed about that.

Thanks, you too(?).
    np and thanks to u too - yeah im doing STEP 2 (and 3 as well)

yeah annoyed about STEP 1 too, but I guess we shouldnt let that hold us back in STEP 2 and 3 haha . I just wanna make sure I choose my questions (mainly the last 1/2) well next time (cuz if i had selected a better last Q rather than scraping around i might have been able to get a better total) .

ReputationRep:
    np and thanks to u too - yeah im doing STEP 2 (and 3 as well)

yeah annoyed about STEP 1 too, but I guess we shouldnt let that hold us back in STEP 2 and 3 haha . I just wanna make sure I choose my questions (mainly the last 1/2) well next time (cuz if i had selected a better last Q rather than scraping around i might have been able to get a better total) .
    Offer for Cambridge? If so what college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For this years STEP 1 paper Q2, was the method and difficulty for part 1-3 all the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol456)
    For this years STEP 1 paper Q2, was the method for part 1-3 all the same?
    Surprisingly, yes.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, just wondering should i be checking out old step papers or like the recent years to prep for the paper tomorrow?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.