University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    In other news: if anyone is called Graham (surname) you might regret not going to Glasgow University.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/t4/internationa...olarship_ID=58
    Surely this isn't genuine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW97)
    Surely this isn't genuine?
    It is. It's listed on the Glasgow website.

Are you a Mr Graham?

ReputationRep:
    It is. It's listed on the Glasgow website.

Are you a Mr Graham?
    No I'm not! I thought that would be a joke website link or something though!

ReputationRep:
    In other news: if anyone is called Graham (surname) you might regret not going to Glasgow University.

Couldn't that be seen as a form of (racial) discrimination, as the name "Graham" is surely much more common amongst the white British population than non-British and non-white populations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Couldn't that be seen as a form of (racial) discrimination, as the name "Graham" is surely much more common amongst the white British population than non-British and non-white populations?
    It's positive discrimination for people with the surname Graham. That's it.

You might as well say the UK cutting taxes for over 90s would be racially biased because it is more common for white British people in the UK to be over 90 than other races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    It's positive discrimination for people with the surname Graham. That's it.

You might as well say the UK cutting taxes for over 90s would be racially biased because it is more common for white British people in the UK to be over 90 than other races.
    What if someone had a similar scheme, but for people with a long list of surnames, all of which were names used almost exclusively by white British people?

Where do you draw the line?

ReputationRep:
    What if someone had a similar scheme, but for people with a long list of surnames, all of which were names used almost exclusively by white British people?

When it becomes a heap

ReputationRep:

You'll find it's also a popular surname in Jamaica, etc....

43rd most popular to be precise.
    http://www.loopjamaica.com/content/t...rown-tops-list

Posted from TSR Mobile

My surname is Graham

ReputationRep:

Most narrowly and incomprehensively targeted bursary schemes I've ever come across.
    Otherwise Graham Trust itself seems to be a decent charitable trust with respectable aims, so why???
    http://thegrahamtrust.co.uk/about.html

As if someone's April Fool's attempt one year became a real permanent scheme by mistake...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    My surname is Graham
    Managed to find and get married to someone called Graham since jneill posted the link 30 min ago?

ReputationRep:
    You'll find it's also a popular surname in Jamaica, etc....

43rd most popular to be precise.
    http://www.loopjamaica.com/content/t...rown-tops-list

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One (not me) could argue that grants like these are a form of cultural imperialism, to encourage people to change their surnames to "white" names, erasing their own unique culture.

(Original post by vincrows)
    Managed to find and get married to someone called Graham since jneill posted the link 30 min ago?

ReputationRep:
    One (not me) could argue that grants like these are a form of cultural imperialism, to encourage people to change their surnames to "white" names, erasing their own unique culture.
    ....??? seriously who cares

ReputationRep:
    I share my surname with a Star Trek character do I get a grant for that?
    This reminds me a lot of the Sherlock Holmes short story "The Red-Headed League" - I would not have doubted someone if they told me that was an actual real life organisation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    If that means yes, you should have Elizabeth Tayler's photo as your profile pic instead of Hepburn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    I share my surname with a Star Trek character do I get a grant for that?
    This reminds me a lot of the Sherlock Holmes short story "The Red-Headed League" - I would not have doubted someone if they told me that was an actual real life organisation!
    Data?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    eh?
    Is your surname Data?

(Original post by vincrows)
    If that means yes, you should have Elizabeth Tayler's photo as your profile pic instead of Hepburn.
    She still didn't marry anyone with 'Graham' as a surname :sad:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.