UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

agith_varghese
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i have booked my exam for the 9th of october. is it ample time to prepare for the ukcat?
and guys do you think it is logical to apply for a 5 yr course as well. i will complete my degree in 2009 june. so i have chosen a coupla 4 yr fast track courses just thinking they are very difficult to get into?
FFCrusader
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by agith_varghese)
i have booked my exam for the 9th of october. is it ample time to prepare for the ukcat?
and guys do you think it is logical to apply for a 5 yr course as well. i will complete my degree in 2009 june. so i have chosen a coupla 4 yr fast track courses just thinking they are very difficult to get into?
lol my ukcat is tomorrow and I started some practice yesterday :p:

if I get lower than last year I won't be best pleased
-42-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got higher than I did last year and a couple of other people on this thread that have had to repeat it have also got a higher score. Mine was only marginally, but still, I hope this gives you a little confidence that with our direct experience we are likely to do just as if not better than we did before!

Good luck matey,

--Dave
FFCrusader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -42-)
I got higher than I did last year and a couple of other people on this thread that have had to repeat it have also got a higher score. Mine was only marginally, but still, I hope this gives you a little confidence that with our direct experience we are likely to do just as if not better than we did before!

Good luck matey,

--Dave
Cheers I'll probs post my score on here tomorrow lol
cucumber sandwich
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I understand 700 is a very very good score, no? But what is a bad score? I mean when is the score seen as a negative part of your application? like 500?
-42-
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well 500-700 is classed as average, so you could say anything below 600 puts you in the bottom 50% of people who have taken the test, but a score of below 500 would actually be 'below average' according to the test. It seems a score of 600 or above is above all official cut offs medical schools have. The most important thing to remember though I suppose is that it only makes up a small part of your application, and the weighting it bears on your application will differ from institution to institution.

Best of luck taking it!

Cheers,

--Dave
daffy91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i got 678 XD
me, the girl whod been gettin no more than 400 on the practice tests that id learnt the answers for by the end of it!
all i need now is to b predicted all As and then hope for the best

XXX good luck everyone doin it
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey...well done, however you cannot know that you were getting 400 because you don't know how it was marked, therefore you werre probably in the 600's in practice anyway.

well done tho anywayz
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My attempt at getting Edinburgh to tell me their quartiles for last year's UKCAT:

(Original post by me)
Blah blah blah the formal stuff.

Is there a minimum requirement for the UKCAT score? For example, would all candidates who scored below a certain score, be automatically rejected?

Is it possible if you could send me the quartile boundaries for the UKCAT scores from last year, as it would give me an indication on where I stand.

Blah blah blah the formal stuff.

-Keni.
(Original post by their reply)
Dear Keni,

Thank you for your enquiry.

It is a fresh competition each year so at this stage, we do not know how
your results will fare alongside all the other candidates as we only receive
the scores in November. Please refer to
http://www.mvm.ed.ac.uk/studying/adm...ying/UKCAT.htm for further
details of how we use the UKCAT.

Best wishes,
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 蘋果)
My attempt at getting Edinburgh to tell me their quartiles for last year's UKCAT:
i hate it when they never answer your question...i think they send automated messages whenever an email contains "ukcat"...
you have a cool name; Keni :cool:
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
i hate it when they never answer your question...i think they send automated messages whenever an email contains "ukcat"...
you have a cool name; Keni :cool:
Yeah. Its really annoying Should I send a similar email to them again, to see if they give a proper answer?

And thanks. :p: Hearing that made my day :woo: - just to show you what a day I've had. :p:
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 蘋果)
Yeah. Its really annoying Should I send a similar email to them again, to see if they give a proper answer?

And thanks. :p: Hearing that made my day :woo: - just to show you what a day I've had. :p:
don't bother, i think they deliberately left it ambiguous so people can't "work out" what their chances are...
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
don't bother, i think they deliberately left it ambiguous so people can't "work out" what their chances are...
Oww okay.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got 572.5 Would Manchester, Leeds or Southampton even consider this? As posted before, I had a processing error in my test where half the question box on the abstract reasoning section was cut off on around 15-20 questions! Therefore, I didn't know what was on the other side or anything! After getting angry, the UKCAT people said they filed an incident report on my profile saying 'X number of questions couldn't be answered on the Abstract Reasoning section as the answers were not viewable'.

Will they even read this? Can people please help me out and tell me your thoughts?

Thanks
sweetcheeks01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey can I quickly ask a question..does it matter how late you do it? I know I'm already late, but would it make a difference to my application if I did it on the 29th instead of the 22nd? Someone said every day counts and I want to know ASAP so I can book it ASAP. I mean I'd rather do it as late as possible but I don't wanna do it too late so it plagues my application. What's the best thing to do?
crackerbox
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sweetcheeks01)
Hey can I quickly ask a question..does it matter how late you do it? I know I'm already late, but would it make a difference to my application if I did it on the 29th instead of the 22nd? Someone said every day counts and I want to know ASAP so I can book it ASAP. I mean I'd rather do it as late as possible but I don't wanna do it too late so it plagues my application. What's the best thing to do?
It makes no difference to how your application is judged, BUT some people prefer to take it earlier because its another thing out of the way and they can start to focus on their courses and PS ( the really important stuff). Also for some their UKCAT score will be the decider as to whether they will be applying to certain unis (or BMAT non UKCAT alternatives) so if you're using it for that then it might be better to do it earlier.
Faiza.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's best to do it earlier tbh. I mean like at my college, the deadline for everyone doing it is next monday. It helps them with the reference and other stuff which I'm not too sure about. But it definately is better to do it as quickly as possible.
mmmspam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree. It's good to get the whole application off asap: I mean, if you were an admissions tutor, are you going to be paying more attention to the 10 forms on your desk mid-September, or the 300 you have on October 15?? This is what we were told, anyway (by an Imperial guy). Therefore, as some unis need you to have done the ukcat by the time you send your form off (e.g. Edinburgh), it's good to do the test at early as you can.
FFCrusader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Done mine today lol

VR - 560 :eek: 90 lower than last year :rolleyes: :o:
QR - 760 +10
AR - 670 +70
DA - 710 +30

Gives me an average of 675 which is like 5 over last years average lol, funny how it's about the same even though my VR went down so much o_o

I didn't know they changed section 5 either I got three results when last year I only got one? I wonder if they'll use it this year....probably not
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^^ i only got one. its not changed. it jus depends what you enter i think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.22%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise