?
Report 9 years ago
sell it for £195 and you got a deal
timreynolds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Line up looking a bit bare at the moment!! Anyone know when more bands will be updated, and any rumours to who else might be playing at leeds?
fightoffyourdemons
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Manchester Orchestra have self confirmed apparantly.
Spookus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was, like I expect many of you harder rock fans a bit dissapointed with the intial leeds and reading lineup, probably the poorest lineup in years, but i've started to warm to it recently, after all it isnt just all about the music... that said, my leeds weekend so far: gallows, AFI, Radiohead (or lost prohets, cant decide!?!?), Placebo, Deftones, FFAF and the Prodigy.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Besides, the Lock Up stage is yet to be announced...
Spookus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yup...the rumours are sounding pretty good for the lockup this year.
Guys, what do you think, this was a recent addition to the Reading and Leeds festival wikipedia page in the 2009 section:

"Speculation on the reasons for slow ticket sales centres on not only the general economic climate but also on the lack of diversity in the intial 2009 lineup announcement, which predominantly consisted of bands belonging to the Indie genre, a noticable change in emphasis on previous years and a potentially worrying repetition of the mistakes of the late 1980s/early 1990s era, when a near-total domination by Goth and Indie acts alienated most of the Reading Festival's traditional support and brought attendances to an all-time low.

In particular, the absence of a heavier "rock day" in 2009 has disillusioned many regular festival-goers and has contributed to the undercurrent of doubt about the Reading and Leeds festivals future as mainly "rock" festivals."

An unfair analysis?
innerpartysystem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Slow ticket sales a slight exaggeration? The festival weekend tickets were sold out by the evening, not counting the returns that are put back on sale through the night every year. Day tickets gone within a couple of days.

While the line up certainly is weaker than last year, I think the price hike played a large part. The fact is, it's fashionable to go to Reading festival and it'd sell out regardless of the line up. Only a succession of weak line ups would affect its popularity in the long run.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Spookus)
Guys, what do you think, this was a recent addition to the Reading and Leeds festival wikipedia page in the 2009 section:

"Speculation on the reasons for slow ticket sales centres on not only the general economic climate but also on the lack of diversity in the intial 2009 lineup announcement, which predominantly consisted of bands belonging to the Indie genre, a noticable change in emphasis on previous years and a potentially worrying repetition of the mistakes of the late 1980s/early 1990s era, when a near-total domination by Goth and Indie acts alienated most of the Reading Festival's traditional support and brought attendances to an all-time low.

In particular, the absence of a heavier "rock day" in 2009 has disillusioned many regular festival-goers and has contributed to the undercurrent of doubt about the Reading and Leeds festivals future as mainly "rock" festivals."

An unfair analysis?
The organisers go by what is most popular, and since Indie is dominant at the moment it's clear why they chose so many of those bands.
jamespro
Report 9 years ago
It was certainly pretty heavy last year for an Indie/Rock festival (at least, if all the bands on Sunday had actually played...whatever happened to BMTH in the end??) so I get the feeling they are trying to up the indie this year, so to speak
innerpartysystem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jamespro)
It was certainly pretty heavy last year for an Indie/Rock festival (at least, if all the bands on Sunday had actually played...whatever happened to BMTH in the end??) so I get the feeling they are trying to up the indie this year, so to speak
Bring Me the Horizon played, got bottled and were awful.

So I'm told - I wasn't getting up for that crap.
jamespro
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by innerpartysystem)
Bring Me the Horizon played, got bottled and were awful.

So I'm told - I wasn't getting up for that crap.
I'm fairly sure I remember turning up at like 12.30 and they were playing

Stupid body clock
Melting Sugar.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't believe I still don't have a ticket.

>.<
eddymaine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well after seeing the prodigy last night i'd say they are the band im most looking forward to seeing this year.
JmsG
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by eddymaine)
well after seeing the prodigy last night i'd say they are the band im most looking forward to seeing this year.
Sweet, dont really know what it would be like but I am looking forward to it?? Do they have like a live band or it is like djing??

Anyway nice avatar would be sweet if glassjaw played!
eddymaine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JmsG)
Sweet, dont really know what it would be like but I am looking forward to it?? Do they have like a live band or it is like djing??

well they have a dj/synth/sample guy then a guitarist and a drummer and ofc the two singers.

most of the songs are played as a band but some are just synth/drums. They have one of the best light shows i've seen and played a decent blend of invaders must die/old stuff .
rossg
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JmsG)

They have a drummer and a guitarist, and the members of The Prodigy play keyboards, press samplers and sing.
Quinion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

An unfair analysis?
Sounds fair to me - clearly these days Reading ticket sales are never going to be in doubt a la the late 80s until Nirvana, but it definitely has left a lot of people (albeit not generally those found on TSR) disillusioned. Over the 2000s there has been the perception that Reading wouldn't betray its heavier roots in favour of those who are more likely to be found wandering around the campsites with megaphones shouting "Buttscratcher", should they look like the biggest draw. This no longer appears the case.
JmsG
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quinion)
Sounds fair to me - clearly these days Reading ticket sales are never going to be in doubt a la the late 80s until Nirvana, but it definitely has left a lot of people (albeit not generally those found on TSR) disillusioned. Over the 2000s there has been the perception that Reading wouldn't betray its heavier roots in favour of those who are more likely to be found wandering around the campsites with megaphones shouting "Buttscratcher", should they look like the biggest draw. This no longer appears the case.
There is a still a reasonable heavier side on the friday..with ffaf and deftones etc.
Lockup also no doubt will have some heavier acts
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

An unfair analysis?
As I commented on the wiki page:

There are absoloutly no sources for this what so ever. It appears to be just 1 disgruntled fan (im guessing with a preference for rock music). The fact that just 1 leg of the festival did not immediatly sellout is not remarkable at all. I moderate on the offical forums and theres no mention on their of any 'speculation' either. Suggest this part is delete. Reue (talk)
Spookus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
As I commented on the wiki page:

There are absoloutly no sources for this what so ever. It appears to be just 1 disgruntled fan (im guessing with a preference for rock music). The fact that just 1 leg of the festival did not immediatly sellout is not remarkable at all. I moderate on the offical forums and theres no mention on their of any 'speculation' either. Suggest this part is delete. Reue (talk)
Shall we take it upon ourselves to change it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed