Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rude.boy)
    why is american football called american football, just call it american soccer, and leave football to the sport that uses circular objects
    choo gonna get negged sayin that round here. lol

in short, it is called american FOOTBALL because it uses a FOOTBALL.

In rugby, it is called rugby football. but it is shortened to rugby.
    in american football, it remains american football because shortening it to 'american' wouldn't make sense.

Plus, the kicking element of the game used to be more prominent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyPimbley)
    Yeah that would be a great idea to have an American Football Society I'm A Philadelphia Eagles Fan! But I'm hopefully going to see some NFL action at Wembley this year, if they can sort themselves out over in the States. Be an awesome spectacle to see!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1167

that's the group.

welcome

I like the Eagles a lot :P They iz cooooooool.

I went to Wembley in 09, it was epic. I'm going again this year (provided the league sorts itself out)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Patriot)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1167

that's the group.

welcome

I like the Eagles a lot :P They iz cooooooool.

I went to Wembley in 09, it was epic. I'm going again this year (provided the league sorts itself out)
    Hopefully Gonna See Tampa Bay vs Chicago - my step dad supports the buccaneers so it's a special birthday treat for him

ReputationRep:
    Oh, a Broncos fan! On behalf of myself and every other Browns fan, I'd like to offer you my sincerest thanks for last year's trade.

Seriously though, Brady Quinn? What the hell were you thinking!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyPimbley)
    Hopefully Gonna See Tampa Bay vs Chicago - my step dad supports the buccaneers so it's a special birthday treat for him
    swish!

I've seen the Bucs twice already, so on a selfish note I'm annoyed that it's them again. But still, no complaints! They're a good team this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blaah Blaah)
    Oh, a Broncos fan! On behalf of myself and every other Browns fan, I'd like to offer you my sincerest thanks for last year's trade.

Seriously though, Brady Quinn? What the hell were you thinking!?
    The trade was made before McDaniels had even worked out with Tebow, the way he saw it was that he could get a guy who's developable into a franchise QB for two nominal draft picks and a backup RB, Hillis was never going to beat out Moreno a) because McDaniels drafted Moreno at 12 and b) because he hit on McDaniels wife(literally) but then McDaniels fell in love with Tebow and Quinn became an afterthought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denver Broncos fan)
    Broncos fan checking in.

ReputationRep:
    If I was a Denver fan, I really would hate McDaniels. In less than two years he completely destroyed the backbone of your offense; traded away Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler, all of whom had been drafted together as the Broncos' first 3 picks in 2006. That's really gonna set a franchise back..he now also has 2 young first round QBs , and another that he shelled out big for on his roster: I don't think they could justify drafting Luck next year. add that to the fact that he must be kicking himself over letting Hillis go

And best of all he's not even there to take the flack any more

ReputationRep:
    To the guy who made the remark about football on the previous page...

English football (soccer) is the one of few versions of football that the ball is spherical in it... and also the only sport where the main point of the sport is kicking it... all others require handling of the ball!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Its called football because its played on foot...

ReputationRep:
    Well I am an american and no matter what you hear baseball is not americas sport/pastime it is Football. I am a huge Denver Broncos fan and I will be playing american football for the University of Essex for the Academic year 11-12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michealbaca)
    Well I am an american and no matter what you hear baseball is not americas sport/pastime it is Football. I am a huge Denver Broncos fan and I will be playing american football for the University of Essex for the Academic year 11-12
    sweeet.

wut u think of tebow?

ReputationRep:
    Rumours have reached me from my inside source at MMU that they have recruited two big black American guys to add to their already strong team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Rumours have reached me from my inside source at MMU that they have recruited two big black American guys to add to their already strong team.
    Do you play for MMU as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Do you play for MMU as well?
    Nope. Just giving you guys the heads up since someone said they would be an easy win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Nope. Just giving you guys the heads up since someone said they would be an easy win.
    Yep, Staffs are playing them next year. We did think it would be an easy win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Yep, Staffs are playing them next year. We did think it would be an easy win
    I know you are. They won't be, but hey, you are only playing 3 of last year's top 5 so I guess it balances out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)
    If I was a Denver fan, I really would hate McDaniels. In less than two years he completely destroyed the backbone of your offense; traded away Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler, all of whom had been drafted together as the Broncos' first 3 picks in 2006. That's really gonna set a franchise back..he now also has 2 young first round QBs , and another that he shelled out big for on his roster: I don't think they could justify drafting Luck next year. add that to the fact that he must be kicking himself over letting Hillis go

And best of all he's not even there to take the flack any more
    No way will we pass on Luck if we're picking first next year, I have it on very good authority that Elway was taking Locker had he fallen to 36.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denver Broncos fan)
    No way will we pass on Luck if we're picking first next year, I have it on very good authority that Elway was taking Locker had he fallen to 36.
    Well I only could have seen that surfacing if they were able to trade Orton for a pick high enough to draft Luck; but even then, I can't ever see the three QBs on Denver's roster being Tebow, Quinn and Luck; there's absolutely no experience there. I don't think Tebow should start this year though, let him sit behind Orton (you traded for him for a reason) and let him get better, he's still got a way to go. They are not in a desperate need to start Tebow yet, and with the AFC West wide open I feel they have to give themselves the best shot at winning and go with Orton. Would be interesting to know what you think?

ReputationRep:
    Psh. We need to decide if Tebow is it next year or not.

Simply put, if we're in a position to draft Luck next year there is zero chance John Elway will say no. Luck is a once in a decade prospect. The onus is on Tim Tebow to come in and prove he's a franchise guy this season. He gets one shot. Mess up and we take Luck.

It would be silly to start Orton as be obviously isn't the long term answer, and we don't know what we have in Tebow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.