Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    I'm not aware of any colleges not having a parenting system & I know for sure that a lot of colleges do, so I'd be surprised if it's not university-wide.
    I want a college parent as well! *reviews all the classicists from Merton I know* When are you assigned one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    I didn't think Oxford did a college parent scheme. I distinctly remember going for an taster day at the 'other place' in year 11. The student guide stopped halfway through her talk to exclaim, "Oh look it's my dad" and we were all a bit confused as to how such a young person could be her father

Is this only for specific colleges?
    I also reckon its university wide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempiternitas)
    I want a college parent as well! *reviews all the classicists from Merton I know* When are you assigned one?
    I don't even know, I thought I was getting assigned one at freshers. Not very helpful of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempiternitas)
    You've probably been assigned your parents already (!) because it all needs to be sorted before people's exams start here but you likely won't hear from your parents for a while yet, if at all before you get here.

ReputationRep:
    Fun fact: my friend who is a fresher went out with her college 'dad'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RupertTheBear)
    Fun fact: my friend who is a fresher went out with her college 'dad'.
    Incest is fairly normal.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all colleges run a parenting scheme, I don't know of one which doesn't. you are assigned a college parent during the last term of uni (as in, now) but you won't find out who they are until they contact you. some colleges don't release information to incoming freshers until results are out, so people don't get a kind letter from their parents when hey are going to a different uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Incest is fairly normal.
    nice

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about whether we need to apply for accomodation?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmay93)
    Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about whether we need to apply for accomodation?
    Thanks
    It depends on your College. Some will ask you to tell them which price band or sometimes location you want to be in, others will simply allocate you a room and you won't know until you turn up.

Basically, if you haven't heard from them about it, don't panic.

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of panicking, do we know when we have to arrive yet? (As in, not from maniacally checking the 'term dates' page, but officially told?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    You've probably been assigned your parents already (!) because it all needs to be sorted before people's exams start here but you likely won't hear from your parents for a while yet, if at all before you get here.
    Does that mean some parents have more than one child, or that some of them might end up childless if an offer holder fails to meet their offer?

Don't know why I'm so concerned about this....

But I really want pareennnts ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marocchino)
    On the subject of panicking, do we know when we have to arrive yet? (As in, not from maniacally checking the 'term dates' page, but officially told?)
    that varies by college, but it'll be from the sunday to tuesday before full term starts ie in 0th week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marocchino)
    Does that mean some parents have more than one child, or that some of them might end up childless if an offer holder fails to meet their offer?

Don't know why I'm so concerned about this....

But I really want pareennnts ^^
    You will probably have one college parent from your subject and another from outside your subject. So as well as having two college parents, you end up with a college sibling and through marriage (& remarriage) and having your own children, you can end up with large extended families of half siblings, cousins, sisters-in-law, grandchildren, that weird pervy uncle that nobody likes to mention, etc., etc..

(So if somebody misses their offer, and if there's nobody with an open offer to take the space, parents might be left with only one child. It would be rather bad luck to get none in the end.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    It depends on your College. Some will ask you to tell them which price band or sometimes location you want to be in, others will simply allocate you a room and you won't know until you turn up.

Basically, if you haven't heard from them about it, don't panic.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If very delayed, I'm jumping in here as Physics for Oriel, hopefully
    Don't suppose there are any Earth Sciences people for Worcester? My sister's going there.
    I'm quite looking forward to meeting my parents

ReputationRep:
    turns out i'm getting two dads, whooooop! unfortunately as a gap yearer it's likely i'll be older than them both aha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsfuntimes)
    If very delayed, I'm jumping in here as Physics for Oriel, hopefully
    Don't suppose there are any Earth Sciences people for Worcester? My sister's going there.
    I'm quite looking forward to meeting my parents
    I'm not Earth Sciences (actually, I'm French and Arabic, so completely different) but I AM going to Worcester, so your sister and I might still cross paths!

ReputationRep:
    On another topic, what Clubs and Socs are you interested in? I'm really looking forward to fresher's fair to see those hundreds of weird clubs and I'm planning to play badminton on either college or unversity level - if I can find a club on my not too advanced level
    Does anyone know if university wide clubs in major sports are for top players only? Or do they have training sessions for intermediate players as well?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Yaw-Bruni)
    On another topic, what Clubs and Socs are you interested in?
    I'm looking forward to the RPG society and the 'speculative fiction group' or whatever it's called

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.